Moving To Houghton, What Gear to Sell, What Gear to Bring?

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

Moving To Houghton, What Gear to Sell, What Gear to Bring?

Postby Mutt Runner » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:25 pm

Guys and Gals,

I just accepted a job at MTU in Houghton and I'll be moving there this summer from central North Carolina. I've got a storage closet full of waterfowling gear, but I'm not sure if it will all be as useful up there as it is down here. And since I'm moving,I'm wondering whether it doesn't make sense to sell some of it so I don't have to lug it all in and out of the moving truck.

So here's my question: What should I get rid of before the move? I know, for example, that black ducks aren't very common in the UP, so I should probably sell my black duck decoys before the move. I'm wondering if there's other gear that it makes sense to leave behind. Here's what I've got:
1) 24 mallard decoys.
2) 2 mallard mojos.
3) A dozen wood duck decoys.
4) 4 floater geese
5) 14 x 6 ft camo netting
6) A great 14 foot, 2 man canoe (all camo-ed up). Am I right in thinking this would work well for float hunts on the Sturgeon?
7) 6 black duck decoys

Which of these pieces of gear will be useful in the U.P.? Oh, and also: where's the best secret spot to hunt cupped-up mallards?... Just kidding.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
M.R.
Mutt Runner
Newb

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: Moving To Houghton, What Gear to Sell, What Gear to Brin

Postby Weedwacker » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:57 am

Respectfully, what you have doesn't seem much of a burden to bring.
I hunt northern Michigan and use some wood ducks decoys early, and use some black ducks real late season.

You might think about getting there and see what type of waterfowling you will be doing.

Items you have are not completely out of the norm.

Congrats on the new job, be safe and enjoy the great white north :beer: :beer:
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA.
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby Mutt Runner » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:11 pm

Thanks for the reply. It isn't a ton of gear, but I like downsizing when possible and a move is a good time to do it.

Do we think the canoe is worth moving? Is that something people use often to hunt up there, or are they more so using john boats and v-hulls?
Mutt Runner
Newb

Postby razorrt5 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:28 am

My experience waterfowl hunting is limited up there but I do spend my fair share of time there as the in-laws live in Hancock and Chassel. my .02 cents from observation up there while scouting and fishing (coming from a guy who hunts Minnesota and the Dakotas). your gonna need some long lines and goose decoys.... geese aren't uncommon up there and the mallards you seek sit on BIG water with a hunt-able number of divers too. as far as migration I think because of the location being in the middle of the UP they don't get much for migrators as they funnel around Superior to closer points west at Wisconsin or east at Sault St. Marie.

I would suggest picking up some fishing gear... they have some great fishing up there

and congrats on the job, just curious... have you spent a winter in the UP before???
If it's not duck season...its one day closer
razorrt5
Punkin

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting