Layout hunting on Saginaw Bay

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Layout hunting on Saginaw Bay

Postby maddiedog » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:17 am

How is the layout hunting on the Bay? How far out do you have to go? I am newer to the area and would like to try it. I plan on hunting along the shoreline with a regular boat and I am wondering if the divers come close enough for me to do both. What is the weather like out there in Nov. and Dec.?
maddiedog
hunter

Postby buster_22 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:34 pm

Hey good post !!! I wanna find out that information too. I have always wanted to hunt Saginaw bay just dont know enough about it to try it. :help:
Never stand down wind of Buster "the spitter" 22 when he is calling on his SMM ! :laughing:

courtesy of Admin2 :thumbsup:
buster_22
Pro Hunter

Sag bay Lay out hunting

Postby TopGunMich » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:13 pm

Gentlemen,

I used to hunt Sag bay alot. The majority of hunting is around two state refuge areas, Nayanquing Pte 15 miles north of Bay City. Fish Pte, is by Sebewaing. There are alot of divers on the bay, the later the better. We have shot them several hundred yards off shore to several miles. The Major factor is the the weather and wind. It is can be very dangerous !! When the wind is blowing hard you need to be on the Lee side of the bay. Pops Place and Fish Pte Lodge have boat ramps. There are several DNR ramps on the West side, too. Alot, of guys use boats 16-20ft and tons of Dekes.. Good luck
STIMULUS PKG THAT WOULD WORK: PUT A $1000 DOLLAR REWARD ON THE 15 MILLION ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS IN THIS COUNTRY, $2500 ON DRUG DEALERS, & $5000 ON TERROIST, $10000 ON POLITICANS !!!!!!
TopGunMich
hunter

Postby maddiedog » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:06 am

Thank-you very much. The lumber is in the basement and construction begins on the boat this week! I don't like to mess around with the rough stuff. No diver duck is worth a boat full of water.
maddiedog
hunter

Layout

Postby TopGunMich » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:54 pm

..... Dont get me wrong, it is a great place, tons of late season birds. Just heed the weather..
STIMULUS PKG THAT WOULD WORK: PUT A $1000 DOLLAR REWARD ON THE 15 MILLION ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS IN THIS COUNTRY, $2500 ON DRUG DEALERS, & $5000 ON TERROIST, $10000 ON POLITICANS !!!!!!
TopGunMich
hunter

Postby maddiedog » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:48 pm

I did it once and had a ball. I was thinking since season goes so late this year the diver action ought to be awesome. If it gets too rough is it pretty good up by the shore? I have a 16' duck boat. I have been on the bay walleye fishing but I don't have a clue where the ducks hide! Thanks for all of the info.
maddiedog
hunter

Sag Bay

Postby TopGunMich » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:02 pm

With a good late season storm to push the birds south, it can be amazing. Lots of Big Decoys, gang rig them (bring a knife to cut the tangled line on ur prop)......throw some Goose decoys out, just for thier drawing power.. Some guys use swans and snow geese to draw them from afar. Dont make a mistake and shoot any of those Protected commerants. That would be a sin.. :thumbsup:
TopGunMich
hunter

Postby maddiedog » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:02 am

They look a lot like a merganser when they are buzzing the decoys don't they! :getdown:
maddiedog
hunter

SAGINAW BAY DIVERS

Postby mjlduckman » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:54 am

I hunted the Bay quite a bit back in 93-95, it's where i really cut my teeth on duck hunting and i've been hooked ever since. Like the guide said, becareful and watch the weather closely, it can change real quick. I went out of Hoyles Marina one morning with 1-2 foot sweels and within three hours we had 6 footers coming in over the sides and almost didn't make it back, i believe it was the same year 4 guys didn't make it back going out of Pinconning or Standish. And there were lots of birds back then, and probably more now. We long lined 4-5 dozen decoys and did pretty good about a mile out of Linwood. Good luck
May the skies above you; be blackened with birds
mjlduckman
hunter

Sag Bay

Postby TopGunMich » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:44 am

Those guys, were all friends of my dads. I have hunted with them on several occasions. Three Guys, a teenage son, and a dog, all were lost in a big storn. They were all from Midland in a custom hunting boat. I have hunted the bay 100 of times, from flat glass to 6-8 footers. Becareful and have ur equipment ready and checked..
TopGunMich
hunter

Postby duckhunter6 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:59 am

Everyones got it wrong. the saginaw bay is great for early, mid, and late season hunting. Opening day we limited out on divers about a mile or two from shore. and we have been doing just as good since then. The best way to go is probably to go out of quanicasee and pick your spot!
duckhunter6
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting