"Other Geese"

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

"Other Geese"

Postby Cobra » Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:33 pm

Anybody going after them now? Seeing any? We usually don't set up for snows/blues until early November. It's more of a way to pull some 'locals' that have become comfortable on some farms with good numbers of domestic birds but works fairly well on pulling some flight birds down to see what's going on. Every couple of years we get into some snows/blues that decide to stop but usually they fly right on by, in the ozone. Amazing how many Honkers land in them as well, just can't shoot them at that time.
Cobra
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:36 pm

man i wish i would get snows and blues down here i would be sooo happy because there would be more to hunt...
where are you at that you get snows, im sure they come by here but they prolly don't stop, im 30 mins south of detroit on an island in the river....
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cobra » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:11 am

Seems it's more of a west side thing for some reason. There's a 4 or 5 day window, usualy around the first major front in November where they fly over nearly constantly in the ozone and rarely come down. Odds and ends groups come by periodically and seem easier to pull but there isn't enough of a pattern to it to go out for them specifically and even see one. Pulling them is more by accident than design, but when it happens it's chaos. I have shot 9 snows/blues in 1 day, they are dumb. Works on local and flight ducks but honkers can't leave the rig alone. 250 snow/blue rags and around 3dz field Mallards.
Cobra
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting