Waterfowl bands in the Bad Axe area

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: quackerkiller, waterfowlhunter

Waterfowl bands in the Bad Axe area

Postby TGsupermag21 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:19 pm

Has anyone taken any bands and/or collars from this area recently, for the number of birds i shot up in the thumb this year i was surprised to of not got anything.
2009 JR. MIDWEST GOOSE CALLING CHAMPION
Beretta Xtrema2
Gander Valley Custom calls
Tim Grounds Championship Calls
Team Feather Collector
TGsupermag21
hunter

Re: Waterfowl bands in the Bad Axe area

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:13 am

I usually get a couple every year at fish point. I only have one collar but I do believe that they stopped doing that about 10 years ago due to ice build up inside the collar killing the geese.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mattk » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:37 pm

i got 2 goose bands this year in the port austin area
mattk
Newb

Postby patrick.carrington » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:22 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:I usually get a couple every year at fish point. I only have one collar but I do believe that they stopped doing that about 10 years ago due to ice build up inside the collar killing the geese.

Still seeing collars?? Thats awesome! Frame that thing. It has been forever that i have see one. :thumbsup:
Proud Supporter of DOA Game Calls
"When luck just isn't enough!"
patrick.carrington
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:20 pm

The last collar I have seen was 2 years ago on my dads pond, Nice big goose in early spring. he was in and out with the flock for most of the summer than vanished before season. Probably just dies off or some damn poacher nabbed it. I take out the one I got and admire it every so often. Wish I had a few more....
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckbuster808 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:34 am

not from the Bad Axe area, but I shot quite a few bands last year....5 duck bands (2 Miner bands, 1 Avise Diver band and a Double banded Black w/ Tarsus band) 7 Goose bands (9 if you include collars)

Collars are indeed hard to come by, but I have 3 to my name in the 8 years I have been waterfowling (I know...I need to play the lottery more right lol)...2 of which were takin last year....first one I got 2 years ago (Orange w/ White letters, banded in 2003, no leg band) banded in the James Bay, ONT area....1st one last year came during the early season and was banded in Michigan 14 years prior (Green w/ White Letters, banded in 1995, no leg band) and then the second collar came in the late season (White w/ Black letters, banded in 2005, also had a leg band) banded in Ohio....

Collars are still around, just gotta put your time in scouting and when you find them, you usually have to work hard for them, since they are very well educated birds....I don't hunt in just one area though, and travel all over the state hunting from up in the UP all the way down to the Ohio border....It's all just pure luck when it comes to finding collars and bands....
duckbuster808
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting