Hiawatha National Forest (NOT a cyberscout thread)

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Hiawatha National Forest (NOT a cyberscout thread)

Postby shoot-n-goose » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:55 pm

I was hoping someone who hunts the eastside of the park could shoot me a pm or add some imput here.

The deal is my uncle has a cottage that we stay at in the summer every year which is across the street from the park, and since the North season opens a week before the South does, I figure why not get a warm up and a road trip in.

I was up there last week for 5 days solo and did two straight days of scouting and am already set on my hunting location, so by no means am i looking for yours. My question is for anyone who hunts the area on opening day in regards to numbers of hunters. Should i expect to get to my spot a couple days early to stake my claim, or would I be ok getting there the day before. The spot I've choosen is already an out of the way one, so I'm not concerned with those last minute guys showing up because i already know they would be out of luck.

On much of the shoreline i walked i found empty hulls, but its impossible to tell whether they are from hunters in that location or ones that washed ashore.

Like I said, shoot me a pm and i can tell you the general area and maybe you can help me out. Many of the locals I talked to either were completly clueless or were not familiar with the area I was referring to
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Re: Hiawatha National Forest (NOT a cyberscout thread)

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:58 am

shoot-n-goose wrote:Many of the locals I talked to either were completly clueless or were not familiar with the area I was referring to

No they were not clueless, They just do not like us southeners taking their spots so they play dumb. You will probably find that the spot you found is some locals spot, especially if it shows signs of good hunting and you found empties lying there. I would try to get the spot but if someone else or a group of guys have been hunting it for years and they are there when you show up I would not push the issue, I would just find another place to hunt. best bet is to have several picked out so you have options. My dad had a cabin on 160 acres in marquete and the locals there were very protective of their spots on the public land around his place. some even thought they had rights to his land because they live up there. Hope it works out good for you, Good unused spots are hard to find. :thumbsup:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby shoot-n-goose » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:00 am

Thanks, I'm literally 5 minutes from leaving to go up there for a week. I've already got 3 spots picked out, my main one being the hardest to get too
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:40 am

Pretty funny, but true!!

Use to go to UP area for Northern opener for 10 years, and close to your scouting spots. The local UP folks never took a liken to us even with all our smiles and joking around.

We would get out hours prior to opening on public land and they would still drive there boats right into our decoy spread and start name calling and shouting to get out of their spot!!!

Its a weird world these days, would make sure you have some company with you and not hunt alone. Up in that area, no one cares about a missing hunter, as sad as that sounds, they are serious about there perception of it being thier hunting spot....
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting