southern opener

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

southern opener

Postby bushwacking » Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:25 pm

just wondering how everybody did my dad and i shot 5 but found 3 very slow
quack quack boom

bushwacking
bushwacking
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:32 pm

Although I am from Ohio we gun Michigan a lot, shot Michigan this morning 6 man limit of 36 ducks in 1 hour 35 minutes great shoot!
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby buster_22 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:39 pm

HEY WHERE DID YOU GUYS HUNT? Three of us took a 3 man limit on pte. Moullie. Great job :thumbsup:
Never stand down wind of Buster "the spitter" 22 when he is calling on his SMM ! :laughing:

courtesy of Admin2 :thumbsup:
buster_22
Pro Hunter

opening day

Postby DuckDuckBoom » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:59 pm

I'm off to a slow start this year. I won't be out until Tuesday or Wednesday.
Any more reports on the Gibraltar area?
A life unexamined is not worth living - Socrates
DuckDuckBoom
Newb

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:58 am

Hunted the Lapeer SGA.....had to do a 'walk-in', as the lights on my trailer weren't working. Probably a blessing in disguise, as there were about 6 trailers in just about every spot you could put a boat in. Found a small beaver flooding and put out 7 decoys. Had to wave off a few folks.

Group of A-holes behind me started blasting away 20 minutes before legal shooting time.....one guy started yelling about the time being too early, but then everyone else opened up and it became a free-for-all! :pissed: The idiots behind me were shooting at anything and everythign....ducks, cranes...didn't matter. Didn't matter how high they were, either....saw them shooting at birds 100+ yards up.....any duck that was remotely interested in my decoys was blasted away at.

I also saw people running into the refuge to retrieve ducks as well.

Since I waited until LEGAL shooting time, I ended up coming home empty-handed.

Found out later that the idiots behind me were foriegn and that they didnt' have plugged guns (3 of thema and they fired off 21 shots with thier first volley...you do the math). Packed it up and headed in. While at the parking lot, a CO showed up and I told him what I had seen and heard.....I feel somewhat vindicated.

I think this will be my last opening day, unless I get a draw at harsens or something.....tired of the opening weekend idiots.

I've gotten past the "I gotta have a limit for the hunt to be a success" idea a long time ago....I rather have a less frustrating experience with a shot or two and a good retrieve from the dog.
"If your dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby DuckDuckBoom » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:20 am

What a nightmare, man. I guess it just proves that there are morons everywhere. There's no "season" for them.
Yeah, I have only been hunting a few years, and I don't have much interest in Opening Day. Too many people to ruin the hunt. Too many people that just don't care. Aside from that, there's MY inexperience, so I like to go out during the weekdays when I can have the joint to myself and not get in anyone else's way as well.
Too bad you found the morons, man. Better luck next time.
A life unexamined is not worth living - Socrates
DuckDuckBoom
Newb

Postby bushwacking » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:58 am

duck duck boom r u from gibraltar
quack quack boom

bushwacking
bushwacking
hunter

Postby Cobra » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:09 am

Worst opening weekend ever (35). Decide it was safer to hunt some fields, and it was. Morons were shooting way more than 15 minutes early on some of the private & public waters. Couldn't even see the far edge of my spread when they openned up. You can't even identify a duck that well, that early. They probably weren't flying anyway. Today was a little better, they didn't start until 10 minutes early. Haven't fired a shot yet, geese were flying terrified, late and high. No ducks seen yesterday, saw 6 Mallards today. This stuff is getting worse every year. Been fishing opening day the last few years, should have this year to.
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:33 am

Been fishing opening day the last few years, should have this year to.

I'm thinking about squirrel hunting on the opener next year; either that, or heading up north for a long weekend....there opener is done and over.
"If your dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby poacher » Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:43 pm

I have a blind right across from Harsens on Squirrel island, i always shoot it on the Michigan opener...i shot 2 teal, 2 woodies, 1 Green Head, and 1 Gadwall on Sat. morning.
"teal, teal, albino teal....wait, those are seagulls...take em.

wait till they line up and cross, 1 shell 2 birds
poacher
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:04 pm

We hunted in southern zone of Michigan and it was public land and we were there well before shooting time, WELL before shooting time :thumbsup: we have shot the same spot for the last 3 years almost limiting every year missing it by a bird or 2, but this year we made it count.
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby maddiedog » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:30 am

HORRIBLE! I have never had trouble with sky blasting and violating like I saw this weekend! This was my first and last opener down here! If you let the ducks work you will shoot more!
maddiedog
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:30 pm

i hunted on private land on a pond and me and my dad shot 6 on the first day and 5 on the second day. i went out today and got 4 mallards
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Woody27 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:18 pm

We hunted a field In albion and limited on Geese and ducks both Sat and Sunday. Sad to see the goose season end. By Nov th geese in myarea won't be around
Woody27
hunter

southern opener

Postby pontoonboy » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:45 am

We hunted saginaw bay/Bayport area - did great out in deep water for divers. I've never seen so many divers this early in the season? :thumbsup:
pontoonboy
hunter

Postby quacker_smacker90 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:52 pm

any one hunt the huron county area? do any good? I got one mallard and that was it. We are goin out in bayport this weekend hope to do some good.
quacker_smacker90
hunter

Postby goosecaller » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:26 am

Much like everyone else, I had a rough opener. Only shot one mallard hen. People shot 12 minutes early and were shooting all morning long at birds 100 yards away. Just spoils it for everyone else. Nobody wants to let the birds work.
call 'em in and kill 'em all
goosecaller
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:49 am

:withstupid: hey where you at in Mi send me a pm
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting