Good Duck Hunting Opener for us in southern minnesota

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Good Duck Hunting Opener for us in southern minnesota

Postby mndivers02 » Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:22 pm

:getdown:
mndivers02
Newb

Postby h2ofwlr » Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:29 pm

Care to elaborate? :laughing:

For me a mixed day in south central MN...
Well I got 3 (2 BWT and 1 Woodie) and lost 1 mallard--he out swam my old dog (he is going to be 10 in 2 weeks) in the bog/cattails. Even with a hard charge young dog it would have been a difficult retreive at best. floating bog amonst the cattail stands is hard for a dog to get through and gain ground on a swimming duck. I missed on several singles--sun right in the eyes when they came out the the SE in the morning--I should have let them pass me and taken them with the sun at my back.

I was motoring full tilt back and all of a sudden it quit...Huh? I saw steam- Oh no! :eek: and quickly took off the motor cover and thru water repeatedly on the motor. I checked the intake at the landing-it was clear, huh??? When I got home I started it up and ran water up the intake and water started coming out of the head and no water out of the discharge--I think the water pump quit pumping when I was going full tilt and warped the head or cracked it....Argggghhhhh! :pissed: This will put me out of action for a while. :(

On the way back home I cruised around in the afternoon scouting places... at Swan lake - the CO said 79 cars at North and 61 at south landing... he was doing a count--an average of 1.5 birds per person at 3 Oclock -mostly Teal. And with many many cabins on it, there had to be 700+ hunters on it :eek: :thumbsdown:

I heard western MN and Northern MN was real good for Geese, lots of limits. Duck were mixed, some with limits, some not a shot fired, and most with a few birds.

So post up- how did you do.?
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Ramp Tramp » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:08 pm

We hunted SE of Ortonville. Did not see many ducks at all. 90% of the ducks we saw were teal. The two of us shot 1 hen mallard and 4 bw teal on Sat. and 2 drake woodies and 1 gw teal on Sun. It was the 2nd worse opener I've had, last year's being the worse. We still had fun though.
Ramp Tramp
Newb

Postby d wiz » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:27 pm

Hunted W Central MN for opening weekend. Shot a mixture of mallards, teal, widgeon, and grey ducks. Flooded bean fields in the area held an incredible amount of ducks. Geese came into the dekes with reckless abandonment all weekend. First honker taken during the regular season was sporting jewelry. Good way to start the year! :getdown:

Working to secure permission on a flooded cornfield for the upcoming weekend. The ducks are out there, you just need to put in your time.
d wiz
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting