crow wing county

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

crow wing county

Postby dukkilr6 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:31 am

Has anyone ever hunted near crosslake? I have a cabin on the whitefish chain and have always wondered if anyone hunts ducks on it. Please let me know if you have ever hunted this area and had any sucess.

dukkilr
Last edited by dukkilr6 on Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dukkilr6
hunter

Postby minnesotahunter » Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:32 pm

I have hunted in the fifty lakes area before. As far as the white fish goes I have heard it is better to hunt in the late fall. I dont know if that is because the northern flocks are comeing through or because fewer people are at there cabins.
oh where oh where has my lead shot gone, oh where oh where can it be?
minnesotahunter
Newb

Postby gunman » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:54 pm

thats were i do most of my hunting, i lived in Crosslake for a few years. I now live about 20 min. away, last night i went out to Pelican Lake, about 10 min. from Crosslake, in Breezy Point, shot the biggest mallard i have ever seen!!!! BEAUTIFUL fully bloomed and my God what a hog! becides that i picked up a drake golden eye, great looking also, man i love divers! anyways next time ur up let me know, i'll show ya some good spots!
-Chris
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby minnesotahunter » Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:26 pm

I actually live in Brainerd. I did most of my duck hunting on the mississippi river growing up. It's not the same as it was 20 years ago. Good to hear about your Mallard. Do you thing it was a local? I have never shot a golden eye. I go to Granite Falls Minnesota to duck hunt now. My brother has some land there. I like it there because I can hunt ducks in the morning, pheasants in the afternoon, and if I was so inclinded I could deer hunt there too. I have hunted North Long lake up here before, but never Pelican.
minnesotahunter
Newb

Postby waterwolve » Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:54 pm

Just wanted to say hello didn't realize there was actually people from this area. I live in garrison.
waterwolve
hunter

Postby gunman » Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:52 pm

Really?? I always wondered were a guy could hunt on North Long! I drive past it everyday. I work up there at the new kohl's store.

dukkilr6- hey man i have good friends there, say ever hunted the big lake? there has got to be some good spots on there....
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby minnesotahunter » Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:55 pm

Hi Waterwolve.
Gunman. I hunted on the point to the left when you are looking out on the lake from 371. It's private land. I was able to tag along with my brother. He is friends with the guy who owns it. Actually, if you watch Kent Hrbeks outdoor show, the episode with the govener last week was shot on that same point. It's a cool location when the divers come through.
minnesotahunter
Newb

Postby dukkilr6 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:21 pm

Gunman I'm coming up this weekend to shoot a deer. That shouldnt take long with them being as thick as they are. We should get together for a duck hunt possibly friday night. Let me know what ya think.

dukkilr6
dukkilr6
hunter

Postby gunman » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:07 pm

dang, i have to work friday night.....i do have the weekend off... where do you deer hunt? we hunt out by Pequot Lakes. anyways let me know how long you'll be around, if i tag out on the deer sat. morning maybe hit the H2o. let me know i'll check back often... -Chris

P.S. what do you have for equipment, we could use either my duck boat or duck canoe...one thing i don't have are diver decoys....i have about 4 doz mallard and some geese...
--------------------
gunman
hunter

Postby dukkilr6 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:15 pm

I'm hoping to do the same. Shoot a deer saturday morning and hunt ducks the rest of the weekend. I dont have a boat but do have a couple dozen mallard decoys. We could have one hell of a spread. If you want e-mail me at cach0403@stcloudstate.edu or call me on my cell at 612-308-4452. I'll have to leave by 3 or 4 tomorrow afternoon. To tell you the truth I would rather hunt ducks than deer but dont tell my old man that. Let me know as soon as you can so we can work something out. Hope we can kill a few mallards.

thanks

chuck caturia
dukkilr6
hunter

Postby gunman » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:36 pm

we'll lets play it by ear for the weekend..but if your interested, and have the time for a friday hunt, i could point you in acouple directions.... -Chris
--------------------
gunman
hunter

Postby dukkilr6 » Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:06 pm

I'm heading up in a little while. If you still want to hunt call my cell phone. The number is listed in one of my posts above. Good luck either way. but let me know what your plan is
dukkilr6
hunter

Postby gunman » Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:18 pm

sorry i had to work late on friday, today we didn't have the greatest luck, where i place my portable i usualy see a large amount of deer, so i was passing does and small bucks, but now from speaking to the rest of my crew, i found out almost no one had seen anything, this might have the makings of a poorer year, not bad, just not as good as last year. i'll give ya an update tomorrow, if i can fill my tag in the morning maybe hit the H2o in the evening...if ya don't hear from me in time, well have to hook up again next time you come back...-Chris
--------------------
gunman
hunter

Postby dukkilr6 » Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:33 pm

how was the hunting? I shot a big doe and never found it, only saw the blood trail for maybe 10 yards. I hate doing that more than anything. I ended up shooting a little button buck tonight, so atleast I got one. Never shot at at duck all weekend. They just arent around. I think I saw 4 the entire weekend and they were just flying over my deer stand.
dukkilr6
hunter

Postby gunman » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:58 pm

hey, well sunday night I harvested a medium sized doe, it will make for some fine steaks and chops. The girl friend also shot big six pointer, and shes learnign the fine art of rubbing it in my face......... :pissed: But thats ok, i shot a big 9 pointer last year and all she shot was a spike. hey meats meat in my book, if it has antlers, its a bonus, if it has big antlers, its a realy big bonus! Just as long as there is meat on my table for my family i'm happy with what ever i harvest.... -Chris
--------------------
gunman
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting