What I wish i could see happen in minnesota

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

What I wish i could see happen in minnesota

Postby parr0098 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:51 pm

I just got back from north dakota and had probably the best hunt of my life. I couldn't believe the difference from just going a hundred or a little more miles west. From what i heard and observed was a lot of field hunting where as in minnesota we have people just storming into ponds and lakes just bombarding the ducks in there sleeping holes and nesting spots. In north dakota it is almost a unwritten code (at least where i was hunting and from what i heard and observed) to leave the ponds alone in the early morning and evening hours. If hunters would take more of a stance like this i am wondering if you guys would think if it would help improve minnesota duck hunting. This is just an idea i am throwing out there I dont mean to upset anyone or piss anyone off just wondering your thoughts on this.

A concerned minnesotan worried about the future of minnesota duck hunting
parr0098
hunter

Postby KO » Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:06 pm

the other to keep in mind is that Mn's wetlands have been invaded by fathead minnows and black bullheads.....The bait industry

The ducks are in Dakota not just because of water, but because the wetlands themselves are in much better shape than ours
KO
hunter

Postby mntwins » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:54 am

The problem with minnesota is the farmers have tiled and drained everything, thus everyone hunts the same areas. I have seen this state go from one of the best to nothing for ducks, though it is still good and I would rather hunt a crap pool thatn not hunt at all :thumbsup:
mntwins
hunter

draintile

Postby Dunk221999 » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:20 am

I totally agree, it is so easy to see when we have frequent rains and small flooding, how many potholes there used to be, I am only 20, however I bet in the 40's and 50's that minnesota probobly had as many or more potholes than the Dakotas..... Is my theory correct? If it is, its very sad how tiling drained so many of our beautiful wetlands.
Dunk221999
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:37 pm

Nicollet and Sibley counties to the SW of the Cities have the same geography as the Missourri Couteau in SD and ND where the DU "thundstorm" maps of nesting intensivity is shown. In Nicollet County in 1963, there were 58 "lakes" which were 10 acres of more in size, by 1973 there were 8 left, they were all drained. This does not include literally hundreds of potholes of less than 10 acres in size and seasonal type I wetlands so important for courtship in the early spring time that were all drained/tiled. :pissed: And to add insult to injury--the Govt FORCED the farmers to drain thier wetlands through emminent domain foeclosure when the farmers wanted the wetlands for their hunting. And the Govt PAID the farmers to drain/tile their land to boot. Now the Govt is paying them to restore the wetlands.

BTW, the DEMOCRATS were in power when all this went down in forcing the farmers to drain/tile. So when ever I hear the the DFL is pro environment I just have to laugh out loud and shake my head.

So Dunk, yes MN used to have as many potholes as SD and ND combined at one time.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

I love that man

Postby parr0098 » Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:20 am

Good call i am always looking for another to rip on the democrats this is not what was intended when i started this post i was just looking for some input on this but Yeah i am a proud supporter of bush and nice to see some people who realieze what is going on in this world and what is going on with duck hunting and where it is going in mn I am a sibley county resident but going to school up north but i still would like to see less drain even though our company business is pipe laying i could do with a little less work as long as we get some of our wetlands back

BUSH 04
h
parr0098
hunter

Re: I love that man

Postby h2ofwlr » Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:29 am

parr0098 wrote:our company business is pipe laying

Oh so you are a mercenary for the farmers.... :mrgreen:
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby parr0098 » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:51 pm

No actually we dont do that much drain tile if we do a drain tile job once every two years we are lucky and that would usually be a football field or something
parr0098
hunter

tile

Postby Dunk221999 » Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:41 pm

Wow those are some interesting facts........ very sad to hear that the government demanded such negative impacts on our natural resources. Imagine what we could have here in Minnesota if those type 1 wetlands were still in tact. :oops:
Dunk221999
hunter

Postby Family Tradition » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:28 am

:cool: :Keep one thing in mind guys when you look at the state of Minnesota and the natural resources that are in it. Southern Minnesota is blessed with the best soil in the world (the same soil as Iowa). Central Minnesota's soils is very close. That area of the state of Minnesota was founded on that resource. We are a farming state. We produce most of the food (one way or another) that you ingest everyday. Just like the advancement of technology with computers, so did the farming advance. Tractors, plows, combines are all bigger and bader now than they ever were or imagined they would be in the 50's and 60's. We can produce more food for the world now than we did in the 60's (close to double). Minnesota is feeding the nation. The guy that tiles/drains the field is just a Republican that saw a way to make a buck (free enterprise, right to own a business,etc..) With all business, there are those that benefit and those who do not. h2ofwl, should know that more than anyone. He seems to know more about the
Republican party than any of us. The only reason, North Dakota does not dry up there land, just like Minnesota is the lack of nutrients in the soil. have you ever looked at there corn fields. My 3 year old daughter is taller. Not to mention the land is much to rocky. North Dakota provides in different ways (mainly with cattle). So...lets not sit there and point our fingers at families that made there living off of farming and needed to do what ever possible to keep up with the "Jones". Do you realize that land in southern Minnesota is worth almost $3000 and acre? That mean the little 50 acre pot hole that your Dad use to hunt, that he drained and farmed, is now worth $150,000. No duck is worth $150,000 to those farmers. They needed to feed their families not shoot some ducks. Nobody wanted to to happen this way, but that's just the way it is. Don't get me wrong, I love hunting just as much as the next guy and it drives me crazy that I have to drive to ND to see the numbers we use to see in this
state. I was raised on waterfowl hunting and miss those days, however if it meant putting food on the table and cloths on my children's backs, family comes first. Another thing....Ducks Unlimited is not ruing duck hunting. If you were able to hunt all the DU land and refuges, there wouldn't be any ducks in the state of Minnesota. Try being thankful that you are able to see all the ducks in the area and thank the good lord for the ducks that you actually do shoot. It's not always about the number of kills. Hunting for me is about the comradery, being out doors, stories and family traditions! One last thing...Democrats are not going to take away any of your hunting guns (shotguns, rifles, etc...). They might stop the sale of assault weapons and explosives (like the guns used in Columbine Colorado that killed one of my relatives!) Take care and may all your decoys look real! :thumbsup:
"A mind is a terrible thing to waist" "Don't treat your puppy like a Dog"
Family Tradition
Newb

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting