Leg Band

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Leg Band

Postby iFAIL » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:58 am

I been hunting waterfowl and this year will be my 4th year. I was just wondering how long it took you guys to get your first leg band. Still haven't got mine yet and I have shot quite a few. Just making conversation since this forum is so dead.
That horrible duck call, it was I!
iFAIL
hunter

Re: Leg Band

Postby tornadochaser » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:58 am

4 or 5 years for my first duck band, and 3 years for my first goose band. I've added a few more since, and given some to other hunters in the group as well.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:03 am

Been duck hunting since 14, 25 now. Never gotten a band, or even been out when somebody else got one. I don't really care about bands, but maybe thats just something dudes without bands say.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby Ducks22 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:21 am

Almost 20 years of duck hunting and still not a banded duck in the bag. Geese on the other hand are a dime a dozen if your hunting in the right areas. Find out where they band every year and hunt those areas if your looking to have good odds on shooting one. We just happen to hunt in one of those areas and shoot 10-25 bands a year in our group of 5 guys. Goose bands are plentiful, now we shoot for pigeon bands.
Ducks22
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:34 am

I'm not from the state but I figure I'd chime in anyways just because I think this would be important. A leg band is great to get. I have 1 out of the hundreds of ducks I've killed over the last 10 or so years. If I could give a little advice, don't become a tool and target them. Don't get the mentality that the more bands you have, the better hunter you are. I had a buddy that had a friend he hunted with. Long story short, they targeted bands and collars and now one can't hunt for life. The other for the next 3 years. I'd love to shoot a lot of bands but I'd rather shoot them in season, fairly, and with some good company.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:42 am

Ok you gotta tell us the story about your friends getting in trouble.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:10 am

MinnesotaDan wrote:Ok you gotta tell us the story about your friends getting in trouble.

http://wildlife.utah.gov/dwr/officers-on-patrol/687-convicted-poacher-violates-again.html
Zink ex-prostaffer Clint Calder. I'd like to add that Zink immediately removed him from the company within minutes of me sending an email. Mark Zink himself gave me a phone call and handled it very professionally. So I'm not wanting to turn Zink into Foiles. Zink is a very good company of actual hunters. If you google his name, you'll see all of the BS he's done. My buddy was with him when he shot the swan. He's done for 3 years which sucks. All this just for leg bands and collars. Pieces of metal and plastic with numbers.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby iFAIL » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:16 am

Damn, that's the kind of people i like to avoid. Doing all that for a fricken band.
That horrible duck call, it was I!
iFAIL
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:19 am

To make matters worse, they are talking about stopping the banding and collaring program here in Utah because of this. It's a violation to public safety because of the weapons used at hotels, parks, and the amusement park as well as "encouraging" poaching. I'm not sure if there is a better word than encouraging. But you get the idea.
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:56 pm

I think a lot of it depends on location with some luck mixed in. I've taken one goose band after chasing the critters in 6 states and 2 continents. My percentage is definitely a bit lower than the average but I wouldn't trade any of the experiences I've had for a few more bands. :smile:
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby MinnesotaDan » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:29 pm

JuniorPre 360 wrote:
MinnesotaDan wrote:Ok you gotta tell us the story about your friends getting in trouble.

http://wildlife.utah.gov/dwr/officers-on-patrol/687-convicted-poacher-violates-again.html
Zink ex-prostaffer Clint Calder. I'd like to add that Zink immediately removed him from the company within minutes of me sending an email. Mark Zink himself gave me a phone call and handled it very professionally. So I'm not wanting to turn Zink into Foiles. Zink is a very good company of actual hunters. If you google his name, you'll see all of the BS he's done. My buddy was with him when he shot the swan. He's done for 3 years which sucks. All this just for leg bands and collars. Pieces of metal and plastic with numbers.

What a f'in loser lol! Just look at this chump.

Pushed back hairline lookin like the batman sign, check.
Underbite, check
troll ears, check
nasty high school/jason aldean goatee, check.
Yup.... that boy is inbred.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby Ducks22 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:23 am

[quote="JuniorPre 360"] If I could give a little advice, don't become a tool and target them. Don't get the mentality that the more bands you have, the better hunter you are.

Couldn't agree more, not one to show bands on my lanyard, they just go in a box in the closet. I think the best part is shooting that bird that was banded a couple thousand miles away and gettin the info on it.

If your looking for bands this year and your in the metro, looks like there will be plenty and plenty with one of those nice yellow collars also. :thumbsup:
Ducks22
hunter

Postby therewillbeblood » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:09 pm

i have been hunting waterfowl around 10 years and shot a couple hundred ducks and i have never even seen a band while hunting. that being said my younger cousin has shot about 20 ducks in his life and took a banded wood duck at a spot i hunt 10 times a year! i would say luck plays a huge role in getting duck bands.
duck hunting > everything
therewillbeblood
hunter

Postby cowboyrustad2728 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:22 pm

Thaught that this was quite funny... Him before he got in trouble. looks like the same geese in the arcticle. http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfo ... oming.html
"There are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy and its charm. "
- Theodore Roosevelt
cowboyrustad2728
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:26 am

cowboyrustad2728 wrote:Thaught that this was quite funny... Him before he got in trouble. looks like the same geese in the arcticle. http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfo ... oming.html

Gee, I wonder why its dark out when they took the pictures, couldn't possibly be because they were shooting geese at night. :rolleyes:
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:45 am

Indeed, so as you can see, bands and collars aren't all that matter in hunting. It's more of an extra prize if you hunt the way hunting should be. Like I said, I've shot 1 single band out of hundreds of ducks and just a handful geese. I won't forget the story or the day. I'm not calling anyone out or anything. Bands shouldn't be a priority in hunting. Having fun and being safe is what I love about the sport. Sorry to hijack the thread. I'm 1 band for about 500 ducks. :thumbsup:
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby ready2rope » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:06 pm

minnesotadan... who do you think you are to pick on this kid hmm by putting someone down upon their apperance isn't going to make you look any better in anyones eyes, maybe it'll add to your ego issues or maybe its something to do with your own insecurities (its called the mirror effect look it up) so maybe you should learn to keep your mouth shut about peoples looks. as far as him shooting the geese and swan. do you know the real story or stories on the internet?? were you there. were any of you there.... i dont think so! it honestly shows how pea brained people have become to believe everything they see, hear, or read on the internet. keep your nose in your own buisness im sure you would hate for people to post these things about you for a mistake you made when you were younger :) he has probably dealt with alot of regret and been punished for his actions more then anyone of us will ever know, and has learned his lesson, he nor anyone else do not need your ignorant insults to add to injury get your own life. DONT JUDGE

Heb:10:30: For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.
ready2rope
Newb

Leg Band

Postby goldfish » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:18 pm

R2r, woo-saw. Kids gotta deal with consequences just like adults when they make real world decisions. Technically, Dan only asked questions (we all know the meaning behind the wording, but just biting that bullet first).
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:23 am

ready2rope wrote:minnesotadan... who do you think you are to pick on this kid hmm by putting someone down upon their apperance isn't going to make you look any better in anyones eyes, maybe it'll add to your ego issues or maybe its something to do with your own insecurities (its called the mirror effect look it up) so maybe you should learn to keep your mouth shut about peoples looks. as far as him shooting the geese and swan. do you know the real story or stories on the internet?? were you there. were any of you there.... i dont think so! it honestly shows how pea brained people have become to believe everything they see, hear, or read on the internet. keep your nose in your own buisness im sure you would hate for people to post these things about you for a mistake you made when you were younger :) he has probably dealt with alot of regret and been punished for his actions more then anyone of us will ever know, and has learned his lesson, he nor anyone else do not need your ignorant insults to add to injury get your own life. DONT JUDGE

Heb:10:30: For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.

I was there... I know the entire true story and everything. I know his personal friends, family, and lived just a neighborhood over from the guy in Magna. ready2rope, you sound like one of his buddies with that kind of screen name. We might see yall at the rodeo. When you see him you should tell him thanks on bahalf of all of us hunters for putting a stop to the biology project of placing neck collars on geese in Utah to track them. Ruined it for the rest of us. Once a mistake, twice a habit. Poaching on a suspended lisence is a choice not a mistake. It's a choice of ruining your good name and the sport for the rest of us. No poacher will get any sympathy. They deserve none. If it wasn't anyone else's business, his story wouldn't have been posted online. But as hunters, it is our business because hunting is our business, our tradition, and our legacy that we will all hopefully leave for our future generation unless it gets ruined for good.
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby therewillbeblood » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:51 am

has he been convicted of his crimes? than it is the business of every waterfowler because he puts a black eye on the sport. if you are buddies with this guy? were you there???? did you know when he was doing this stuff? if so you are almost as guilty as him.
duck hunting > everything
therewillbeblood
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:08 pm

ready2rope wrote:minnesotadan... who do you think you are to pick on this kid hmm by putting someone down upon their apperance isn't going to make you look any better in anyones eyes, maybe it'll add to your ego issues or maybe its something to do with your own insecurities (its called the mirror effect look it up) so maybe you should learn to keep your mouth shut about peoples looks. as far as him shooting the geese and swan. do you know the real story or stories on the internet?? were you there. were any of you there.... i dont think so! it honestly shows how pea brained people have become to believe everything they see, hear, or read on the internet. keep your nose in your own buisness im sure you would hate for people to post these things about you for a mistake you made when you were younger :) he has probably dealt with alot of regret and been punished for his actions more then anyone of us will ever know, and has learned his lesson, he nor anyone else do not need your ignorant insults to add to injury get your own life. DONT JUDGE

Okay, if I ever do something heinous enough to get my mugshot put on the internet, you can make fun of me all you want. You obviously searched his name in a google search and found this thread and started a profile here just to make this post. Its really not serious enough for that.

You shouldn't even even responded to my post, because nobody even thought it was funny except me anyways. All you did was draw more attention to it.

I also don't need to "be there" to insult him for looking like a retard, but then again I don't even need to do that because he actions that for me. Plus he as been CONVICTED of crimes beyond a reasonable doubt. Dude got busted... then got busted again a year later. He didn't even learn that poaching is wrong/immoral/unethical/stupid but he didn't even learn how to get better at doing it.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby ready2rope » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:23 pm

in response to all of your comments my point being that none of you should judge leave it to God, its not your job! its not like any of you are perfect either. and as for making jokes about my screen name ouch.. your so tough im so hurt. not. grow up and get a life find something better to do if your all such avid hunters get off the internet stop worrying about this it happened a year ago and go shoot something! yes i get it poaching is wrong should he have learned a lesson yes, do people make mistakes or poor decisions yes we are all human. and if he was such a bad kid then you as friends have failed as well didnt you ever learn the lesson that those you hang out with, their reputation will also become yours even if you arent doing the same things. if he was so bad you shouldnt have been his "friend"... your own poor choice. stop living in the past.. its the present and tomorrow is the future dont waste your time on here if were you loving being is outdoors. Just let this all die why hold on to it?
ready2rope
Newb

Leg Band

Postby goldfish » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:54 pm

I gave you warning. Are you that dense?? YOU are the one that made it a big deal by typing up your novel about this jackoff. Did you really make a profile just to put in your "leave him alone, you don't know him" crying, and then when someone here says they do know him, you switch from bringing it all up to defend him, to "why don't you all leave it alone". Well guess what fcukstick, this guy deserves to be laughed out of every thing related to a firearm because he obviously has no regard for laws and common decency. You trying to defend his name and actions does exactly what you said, puts you in the same boat as your friend (that line worked out well for ya, didn't it). There's a difference in you and everyone else though, we don't condone the actions of law breakers and don't try to defend or sugar coat what they've done. It only being a year ago is testament to why should let everyone know that these blatant law breakers are still out there and the majority of hunters are disgusted by these actions. We judge because it's our image he's tarnishing.

Go back into your little hole you came from and keep waiting till he's ungrounded so you can go play again.
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby MitchMN » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:00 am

Amen Goldfish!

A true hunter respects the laws and abides by the rules! this guy simply didnt! he got what he had coming!
Where are all the ducks at?
MitchMN
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:24 am

ready2rope wrote:in response to all of your comments my point being that none of you should judge leave it to God, its not your job! its not like any of you are perfect either. and as for making jokes about my screen name ouch.. your so tough im so hurt. not. grow up and get a life find something better to do if your all such avid hunters get off the internet stop worrying about this it happened a year ago and go shoot something! yes i get it poaching is wrong should he have learned a lesson yes, do people make mistakes or poor decisions yes we are all human. and if he was such a bad kid then you as friends have failed as well didnt you ever learn the lesson that those you hang out with, their reputation will also become yours even if you arent doing the same things. if he was so bad you shouldnt have been his "friend"... your own poor choice. stop living in the past.. its the present and tomorrow is the future dont waste your time on here if were you loving being is outdoors. Just let this all die why hold on to it?

Nobody is his friend, these people are from MN so they really didn't know him, I said your screen name sounds like you are his friend because he's in the rodeo now, and you ARE the one making a huge deal about your boyfriend. If people could not judge in general, then all that hold the title "judge" would be going to hell. If there is justice and punnishment on this earth, then there are judges. It's judgement that makes us make the right decisions or not. God's judgement is to see who makes it to his glory or not. We have not stated if Clint is going to hell or not. It's not our place to do so. Your post makes you seem like you're only like 10 years old so I'll just drop this whole thing because I don't really want to argue with or make a little kid feel bad.

Oh yeah, sorry for hijacking the thread everyone! I've got one mallard leg band that I got when I was 16. Flew to Utah from Alberta. Banded 6 years prior to harvest. It was a big fat mallard.
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Next

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting