Leg Band

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

Re: Leg Band

Postby iFAIL » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:53 am

Hijacking the thread? I can careless, this topic has gotten pretty damn good.
That horrible duck call, it was I!
iFAIL
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:24 pm

Ready2rope, go find something better to do than talk in circles and piss on your feet with your own words. This is a MN forum, and this particular thread is about banded birds, so about some banded birds.....

This story hurts to tell but here goes. I have shot one banded bird in my life and it was the year I started hunting waterfowl, knocked down a goose with a terrible shot and it glided about a quarter mile, across a gravel road, city limits, and into a local pond. After driving the truck down to the pond, My buddy's lab made a sweet retrieve/battle and the goose had a band on it. I had no clue what it was, what to do with it, and how sweet it was. I went looking for it one day when I realized a bit more about them and couldn't find it. That's right, I lost the only band I ever brought down. Suck fest.

Hopefully I'll shoot a bunch of banded birds this year and finally get over it, I think I'd need to shoot a triple on mallard drakes that are all double banded to get my friends to stop telling the story. Oops, now there's more people that can remind me...
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby goldfish » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:20 am

Lol. Jonguy did you think you did something bad when you found the band?

My dad didn't really duck hunt much anymore when I was growing up, but he did have a band on the wall so I knew what they were.
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Wasn't sure of anything, too much a rookie at the time to know what it was/meant. still pissed about it, lol
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:39 pm

My buddy snuck one those bands that come with cheaps duck calls over a pheasant I shots leg one time. I noticed it while I was driving and almost killed us both when I saw it. "holy sh!t its a banded rooster!" and I reached for it going to the freeway, but I knew right away when I saw it up close that I had been tricked.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby goldfish » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:42 am

That's awesome. I might have to do that this fall. I'm determined to get my buddy to walk a field with me just to have a bird explode from under his feet to give him a heart attack. I am pretty sure I've got one of those bands somewhere from a lanyard from game fair too.

goldfish
hunter

Postby dfrauenkron » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:26 am

Goldfish your sig is killin me that is funny chit!! :beer: carry on...
dfrauenkron
hunter

Postby Swamp Gas » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:02 am

Back to the original topic. Band numbers taken by an individual involves alot of luck. Location is key as well. If one hunts in close proximity to areas where banding occurs their odds increase. I have taken 10 since I started shooting in 85. My first came in 91. I have a good buddy in TX who shot his first 5 years ago. He typically harvests over 200 birds a season and it took him several years to get his first.
Swamp Gas
hunter

Postby suicidal_scaup » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:05 pm

I agree with being at the right location. I am a teacher and a student a few years back went out by Montevideo for the early goose season. Their group got lucky...shot 20 birds and 5 were banded! Just happened to find a flock that got banded... I've been hunting for over 20 years and have only one band taken from a blue wing teal. Unusual so that makes it neat for me!
Quoted from my wife while I am tapping on my iPad, "Are you talking about ducks again?"
Me, "Yep".
suicidal_scaup
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:49 pm

Youth waterfowl hunt today with my little cousin, never hunted before.

Shot a drake wood duck with a band on it, first bird of his life...unreal.
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby goldfish » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:39 pm

Isn't that how it goes? Lucky kids...

sent from a phancy fone

goldfish
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:36 pm

I shot 1 banded goose in 03 and a banded phesant couple years later. Last year calld in a flock of 70 geese and buddy dumpd 3 and one was double banded I about drownd him..next flock he dumpd 2 I said if ones baned you ain't makin it home
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:52 pm

man i said some funny stuff in this thread, I forgot all about it.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby Swamp Gas » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:41 am

My first came in 89 at the green age of 15 I think I had been shooting for 7 years. Since then my total is 10. Had a good run that ended last year. I think I went 7 years straight with bands. I did lose one in a coin flip.
Swamp Gas
hunter

Previous

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting