Dang eagles....

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Re: Re: Dang eagles....

Postby goldfish » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:40 pm

Swamp Gas wrote:Nothing a few days of marinating can't fix.

One of them goose recipes where you add everything but the kitchen sink, cook, then throw away the goose and eat everything else?

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Re: Dang eagles....

Postby Swamp Gas » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:42 pm

:lol3:

I do have a good source of Southeast Asian descent. No worries of freezer burn. :wink:
Swamp Gas
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:10 pm

Today there were a few hundred mergansers rafter out on North Long infront of my place. They were in a big group until an eagle started swinging low overhead. They scattered and got close to some cattails. The eagle swooped low and tried to snag a few but the mergansers would dive at the last second. He never ended up getting any merganser.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby goldfish » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:02 am

You should have helped out the eagle.

How, I don't know, but somehow. :lol3:

goldfish
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:42 am

It was funny, my roomate wanted to see them get caught, but I was pulling for the mergansers.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby byrdmn » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:40 am

when I was younger I had just shot a pair of drake goldeneyes on a small lake near grand rapids.mn.as the wind was drifting towards my aunt and uncles dock ,I decided to go back to the house for breakfast and let the birds drift in closer for a shorter boat ride. As I walked into the yard my aunt was calling out the window that I better go get my ducks as the eagle was coming. I ran to the end of the dock to see him swoop down and grab first one bird and then the next...one in eack foot and fly to the end of the lake where he/she was joined by its mate. we watched thru a telescope as the feathers few.....more recentlly though it seems eagles are getting so numerous that on most of the twin cities sub lakes and especially down on the miss river bottoms. as soon as its sun-up you will have an eagle or 2 perched watching your spread just waiting for a downed bird.I watched a juvi eagle out on boot lake this fall which is a s&n area swooping down at a raft of about 2,000 ringers for about 20 minutes....they just skittered out of his way and he banked and made another pas.....no way was he going to catch any and they seem to know it......some guys I know will spank a coot or 2 to give the eagles a meal and leave them alone for the day....but that may just be training them for an easy meal
byrdmn
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:37 pm

So I was mad emotional yesterday. Some young of the year loon must have been too weak to fly south. He was trying to make it from small open patch to a bigger patch and an eagle moved in on him. The loon actually made a run at the eagle and ended up scaring it off, so I had to respect the loons gangster. Even though I knew it would be a mercy for the eagle to kill him.

The loon made it back to his small open spot, but for some reason started off across the ice in a direction directly away from me on shore, towards nothing but ice. He was probably seeing a mirage and thought was heading towards open water. It was tough to watch him try to struggle to kick and flap across the nice, not being built that kind of travel what so ever.

He made it about 100 yards, and it was really frustrating because if he went towards me instead of away from me I probably could have caught him. But this morning I woke up and there were two eagle eating his dead body. He probably froze to death over night. Poor bastard.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby TomKat » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:50 pm

We have eagles year round in NE Kansas. I saw 4-5 on two different lakes last weekend. I also saw one of them take a swoop at a flock of ducks we were trying to work. Additionally, we have eagles that migrate through here following the ducks and geese.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby pj » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:27 pm

Nice post Dan.
For every tear a smile.
pj
hunter

Postby goldfish » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:36 pm

Dan that sucks to hear. Has anyone noticed any difference in loon populations since the BP oil thing in the gulf? I thought I heard that they think that the young loons fly down there and then stay there a couple years, then come back to breed so it wouldn't have been the next year that we would notice any fewer, it would be the years after that.

goldfish
hunter

Postby pj » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:07 am

goldfish wrote:Dan that sucks to hear. Has anyone noticed any difference in loon populations since the BP oil thing in the gulf? I thought I heard that they think that the young loons fly down there and then stay there a couple years, then come back to breed so it wouldn't have been the next year that we would notice any fewer, it would be the years after that.

There was three pairs of nesting loons on my lake this summer and only one successfully nested. That was because of all the rain we got early June flooded the other two nests out. Mother nature is a bitch.
For every tear a smile.
pj
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:35 am

I took my 2 year old daughter and 6 year old son out one day and and we sat and watched 2 eagle chase a float of about 150 coots for bout 30min back and forth back and forth they finally got one as they were flyin away they were fighting over it upside down kids thought it was pretty cool.
The couple days later took the kids out again daughters 3rd birthday. My younger sister and her 5 year old daughtee joind us. Well there was a fog as sun came up. About 8 fog was lifting and I could make out a huge raft of ducks middle of lake. And weren't goin any where. Well the eagles came back and the ducks exploded most were divers since they had to run to get off water. At same time kids did to since they never seen anything like that sept the boy last season. Well all the ducks at one point flew over us all way to high to shoot. Kids were gettin antzy. Well had one flock dive boom us gave 2 qwacks and hookd right back at us I drop a dgwt and a bwt. Kids were extact. Made for a memorble hunt for the kids thanks to eagles
hillbilly..
hunter

Previous

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting