Predators anyone?

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Predators anyone?

Postby beretta24 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:59 pm

I am about to walk out the door and have off until the 2nd. Anyone up for chasing some critters? I have a hodge podge of things to do over our break but I am hoping to get out a time or two. If not predators it will be time to check out the ice.

I have all the necessary gear too, so if you haven't tired it but have some land let me know. I'll be hitting up a few places north of the cities with some friends.

PM me if you're interested.
beretta24
State Moderator

Re: Predators anyone?

Postby dfrauenkron » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:10 pm

I pulled the rifle outta the safe yesterday. Won't hardly leave my side till the snow is gone. Might try doing some calling tonight if there is enough moon.
dfrauenkron
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:41 pm

Took a while to get out but gave it a shot with a buddy last night. 4 stands and called 1 yote into to about 30 yards. He came in strangely slow and I didn't see him until he was about 50 yards out, but I couldn't move into position for the shot without him catching me. I tried a slow shift and got pretty close before he bolted. Took a couple shots but might have been behind him. No sign of a hit. In the end it was completely my fault because I wasn't lined up on the snowmobile trail he trooted in on. Kind of silly in hindsight.

Lesson learned, but what a gorgeous night to be out there. Anyone else been out latelyt?
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby pj » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:23 am

beretta24 wrote:Took a while to get out but gave it a shot with a buddy last night. 4 stands and called 1 yote into to about 30 yards. He came in strangely slow and I didn't see him until he was about 50 yards out, but I couldn't move into position for the shot without him catching me. I tried a slow shift and got pretty close before he bolted. Took a couple shots but might have been behind him. No sign of a hit. In the end it was completely my fault because I wasn't lined up on the snowmobile trail he trooted in on. Kind of silly in hindsight.

Lesson learned, but what a gorgeous night to be out there. Anyone else been out latelyt?

Shotgun or rifle? I have a friend that shoots a lot of coyotes and most of them with his shotgun. He hunts with both, but when they come in hard and close he shoots them with the shotgun. 3 inch Steel BBs.
For every tear a smile.
pj
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:21 pm

I bring both with me (in my truck), but can ony use shotguns in some locations. I use #4 buck with my shotgun. I am just getting into the new hobby. The coyotes are taking over in some of the areas I frequent. There has been a noticable impact on the small game so I decided I'd start giving some feathered creatures a helping hand. I have a .223 I use where legal and when there's enough open space to justify it.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Ducks22 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:44 am

You say where legal, just curious what you mean by that?
Ducks22
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:35 pm

Counties and cities that don't have restrictions against hunting with single projectile firearms.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Ducks22 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:43 pm

Interesting? Never heard of that I've shot coyotes all over the state and have always used a .223 and kept the shotgun close just in case. Been stopped lots especially in the metro area. I'll have to check that one out.
Ducks22
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:01 pm

Lino lakes
Hunting with or discharging any single projectile, including a rifle, shotgun with slug, pellet gun or BB gun is prohibited within the city limits. Only shotguns with birdshot and bow & arrow are allowed by city ordinance and then only in certain areas. There is no discharge of a firearm or bow & arrow allowed anywhere west of Hodgson Road or Lake Drive, north from Ash St. (County Rd. J) to Lilac St. (just north of I35W). In all allowable hunting properties, the hunter must maintain a minimum distance of 750’ from a building when using a shotgun with birdshot and 500’ from a building when using a bow & arrow. At no time should any hunter be shooting across another’s property or roadway.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby MinnesotaDan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:48 am

Man, I shot one coyote when I was 17, the first time I ever went. I've gone a ton of times since then and I haven't seen one. I'm gonna try up in the Brainerd are when I get back up there after break, I've got access to some pretty good land. Yeah, I looked like a fool back in the day.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:25 am

That yote looks like hes winking at the camera :lol3:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Re: Re: Predators anyone?

Postby goldfish » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:38 am

MinnesotaDan wrote:Man, I shot one coyote when I was 17, the first time I ever went. I've gone a ton of times since then and I haven't seen one. I'm gonna try up in the Brainerd are when I get back up there after break, I've got access to some pretty good land. Yeah, I looked like a fool back in the day.

Was it your life long dream to play football at Notre Dame?

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:11 pm

lol, I get the rudy comparison alot, especially when my hair gets long and I part it to the side. My jawline is nicer than his tho, no homo.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby goldfish » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:25 pm

Pardon me for not noticing, lol

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby byrdmn » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:01 pm

ha ha...samwise...the ring is mine!....my precious.....
byrdmn
hunter

Postby 1000yrdstare » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:55 am

Called 2 stands last night.

Notta....

This one is a yote from SD on a pheasant hunt. Fox Pro worth every penny

1000yrdstare
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting