Missouri!

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

Missouri!

Postby recker » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:19 pm

Missouri sure seems to do things right with the 10 or so public hunting areas they have where you reserve a blind or do a daily draw. These areas seem to really hold ducks and the success is usually arountd 2-5 ducks per person on a regular basis. Granted people do get turned away but that looks mostly like on weekends. Iowa and Minn basiaclly saw no ducks this year yet missouri is holding good numbers right now and hunters are having good luck. Granted I still think the duck numbers are not that good but ther certainly know how to manage the refuges to keep the ducks around. To me they really seem to have there act done. I am sure nothing like that will ever happen here but I would think it is the future of what waterfowling is left to us all. I think next year I might have to make the drive down to the big mo and at least I will see some ducks.
recker
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:45 am

MO does a lot of things right as far as conservation goes.

Their 1/4 of 1% of the sales tax is dedicated to the outdoors. Meaning that is how thier DNR is publically funded by ALL their citizens, as well as state parks, etc... It is overseen by a citizens advisory board asa well as a few key reps from DNR, Parks, etc..

We here(Sportsmans groups) in MN have been trying to do that here in MN for the last 5 years. It is called the 3/16 Ammendment that would amend the states consitution. But the legislature will not go for it because then they give up their power. Classic example of politics getting in the way of what is best for all Minnesotans. BTW, the legislature will not approve of it going onto the ballot, as the voters of MN need to approve a Constitutional Amendment. Basically 2 hurdles--the vote by the public should pass--but the Legislature says no by its actions. But we are still will continue to fight them to get them to ok it going to the ballot.

Yup LQP is a joke for many years now. I remember seeing hay bails that you hide behind 50' off of the road and geese coming 100+ yds high and guys blasting away at them :thumbsdown: while the traffic grid locked in front of the blinds:thumbsdown: Talk about a circus :eek: And that was 30 years ago. I have never ever wanted to return-and have not. A classic case of extremely poor managment IMHO.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting