Early Goose

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Early Goose

Postby Ducks22 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:36 am

August 10th date??? Sure would be hot but I'm in. Hopefully they manage it right, keep it away from water, and it would include the entire state. Thoughts?
Ducks22
hunter

Re: Early Goose

Postby dfrauenkron » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:39 pm

Never hunted it, but certainly might try it if it starts that early. Usually scrambling to get duck boat ready, scouting, and getting bow stands set when September rolls around.
dfrauenkron
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:36 pm

Has this been proposed our are you just throwing it out there? Are there anymore details?

If they do it I also hope it's off the water. Too much potential to get recreational boaters and fisherman at odds with hunters. It happens enough already on Memorial weekend. I t alos needs to run into late September in order to thin out some the younger birds. I didn't see birds come back from the molt migration until the week before the regular opener last year.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby iFAIL » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:53 pm

If this does go through, alot of people will be hauling decoys in 90 degree weather. I'm all for it and hopefully baby geese are taking flight by then.
That horrible duck call, it was I!
iFAIL
hunter

Postby Ducks22 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:43 pm

It has been proposed already and they are going to go over in the next couple of weeks. I agree with all the boaters on the water that time of year they are going to have to keep it with a surface water restriction like they have in the past. There is a report on it on wcco from a couple days ago. Proposed duck season is sept 21 which also seems very early.
Ducks22
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:00 pm

I hope there's a good split if they're going to start it that early, and that the Dakota season is open at that time . :yes:
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby goldfish » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:12 pm

I know all the die hard goose hunters want no water, but I'd care to take a wager that more people shoot geese over water than over a field and the early season is for reducing the resident goose population, so I don't know that the DNR would restrict where you can kill em. Kinda goes against the purpose, you know?

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby Ducks22 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:33 pm

I would agree that maybe more people shot geese over water but I would bet that your numbers come from fields by quite a large percent. I know personally I have not had too many days where I have shot 20+ geese over water but in a field we have had numerous hunts with 20+ birds. Also if you don't blow them off of the water the geese are going to stick around. If the geese stick around and just jump fields you will put a much bigger hurt on the population of these birds. Also when you kick them off the water, their home, they have the tendency to head toward town, find a new home, and then no one gets them because they sit on the baseball fields and golf coarses. Just my 2 cents on the water thing.
Ducks22
hunter

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:33 pm

goldfish wrote:I know all the die hard goose hunters want no water, but I'd care to take a wager that more people shoot geese over water than over a field and the early season is for reducing the resident goose population, so I don't know that the DNR would restrict where you can kill em. Kinda goes against the purpose, you know?

sent from a phancy fone

Im not from MN, but in NY, we kill 95% of our geese in the field. We aren't restricted to either of them, but it would be a slow day gunning them on the water. ND is the same way.

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby goldfish » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:32 pm

Don't get me wrong, I know how it works. I know if done properly, a group of guys can put a real hurt on a group of birds. I also know guys think they own birds using their field and get possessive of wild birds when someone busts the roost. Like you said tho, busting the roost moves birds, and the early season is about moving/removing them. Getting them out of the agricultural area is the point of it, not to let some guys have a killer start to the season.

This is why I think you will have a tough time getting the DNR to put more restrictions on the early season. Just looking from the other side is all.

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:18 am

goldfish wrote:Don't get me wrong, I know how it works. I know if done properly, a group of guys can put a real hurt on a group of birds. I also know guys think they own birds using their field and get possessive of wild birds when someone busts the roost. Like you said tho, busting the roost moves birds, and the early season is about moving/removing them. Getting them out of the agricultural area is the point of it, not to let some guys have a killer start to the season.

This is why I think you will have a tough time getting the DNR to put more restrictions on the early season. Just looking from the other side is all.

sent from a phancy fone

I hear ya. Ive just never seen someone get more than a couple shooting a roost. I actually like it sometimes because it pushes all the birds to the fields quicker. However, just scaring them off the roost is not helping the DNR. We scare them out of the state hospital daily for the whole season, and they are back every day.

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby iFAIL » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:34 am

For those who haven't heard or read about it.
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/02/2 ... to-summer/
That horrible duck call, it was I!
iFAIL
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:52 am

I think if they could increase access they could greatly increase the harvest. Finding places to hunt geese in the early season is such a struggle, at least where I hunt.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:08 pm

MinnesotaDan wrote:I think if they could increase access they could greatly increase the harvest. Finding places to hunt geese in the early season is such a struggle, at least where I hunt.

It's a big state.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby MinnesotaDan » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:20 pm

beretta24 wrote:
MinnesotaDan wrote:I think if they could increase access they could greatly increase the harvest. Finding places to hunt geese in the early season is such a struggle, at least where I hunt.

It's a big state.

And I'm a broke college student. Gotta save my money for excursions where I can get access to good hunting for when the duck and pheasant season starts.

There is phenomenal goose hunting around Monticello where I've gone in the past its just every door I knock "sorry I only let my brother in law/nephew/son hunts it"
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby Ducks22 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:13 am

Best part about scouting is finding new spots. Monti area is tough to get on but it can be done. Plus there are a lot of other areas close by that don't receive nearly the pressure. Early season is all about scouting because after the 1st day birds are in new spots all over.
Ducks22
hunter

Postby Labs » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:09 pm

my 2 cents...hunting geese in fields in August is going to be one tough adventure, for a couple of reasons...
1) It's freakin hot in August. This time of the year, the young geese are learning to fly, and only go out on a few trips per day, and always come back to the water...they certainly aren't eating in the fields yet...
2) They aren't eating in the fields yet!...because the fields that are open at this time of year a few and far between. Geese are not going to be on corn yet, it's too hot...they might hit an alfalfa field if you can find on that early that has been hayed...hiding blinds will be a chore...you would be better off hunting a local golf course, because the birds at this time of the year are eating grass and sticking to aquatics...they don't need all the protein the fields provide...

So, with that being said, I am hoping they don't limit the water. Most my goose hunting is over by the time the "serious boaters" hit the water anyway...or at least I'm usually home between 10 - 11am... :wink:
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby Ducks22 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:47 am

Golf Courses are great for early goose, i've shot quite a few on some of the rural courses. As for fields, alfalfa and other small grain fields are good that early. Pea fields are better. Surprising how many pea fields you can find if you know the right people. By the second week in August the 1st sweet corn fields are out also and those usually put a quite few birds the bag.

Just curious though if they are not feeding in the fields that early what are they doing? I'd prefer they go out once a day and put a nice hurt on them as they get to their destination.
Ducks22
hunter

Postby Labs » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:02 am

Ducks22 wrote:Just curious though if they are not feeding in the fields that early what are they doing? I'd prefer they go out once a day and put a nice hurt on them as they get to their destination.

Depends on how soon the adults are able to nest. Typically, the young are learning to fly at this time of year. Once the young can get off the water, they go on short flights, not venturing far from their brood pond. Once they do start making longer flights, they typically fly to another pond. It takes the young longer to learn to land on ground than it does for them to land on water, and landing on water is less hazardous. To your question, because of the warm temperatures, the geese are able to sustain themselves off aquatic plants and zooplankton with occasional weed seed and lawn grass mixed in...they don't need the high energy stuff until later...and of course, you will find plenty of them on the local "sh!t" ponds...

For the past 4 years, I have had 3 broods raised on my pond, and they do the same thing every year. You wouldn't be able to kill them over a field until mid to late Sept...not saying that is the same over the entire state, but as you move north from the Twin cities, it will be tough killing geese in August without water....jmho. Not saying it can't be done, but it is nothing like ND....
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Tue May 14, 2013 6:40 am

so is this set in stone yet and are they talkin about raising the limit to 10?
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Sun May 19, 2013 10:24 am

Not set in stone until the flyway meetings and approval, usually mid-late july.

An email I received stated that the season will be for at least 15 counties in northwest, west central, and south west MN. anywhere from 8-15 bird limit. They are skeptical of allowing unplugged shotguns, but with SD now going with no plugs for the august season, there will be a push for MN to do the same. I talked to a few farmers in western MN. Their wheat is still on track for a end of july, early august harvest. If it's a dry summer, silage corn won't be far behind either.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Mon May 20, 2013 5:39 am

15 counties is all that isn't very many. Why do it at all then??
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby chasing the GREEN » Mon May 20, 2013 12:36 pm

My guess is targeting specific concentrations of birds. They may be targeting in some areas and not others so that after the season they can look at the effects it had before making a state wide move. Not sure just my thoughts.
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Thu May 23, 2013 7:05 pm

hillbilly.. wrote:15 counties is all that isn't very many. Why do it at all then??

Probably the 15 counties with the highest depredation complaints and/or expenses. Try it out for a season or two, waste money on some studies, then open it to more of the state.

Sent from my DROID Pro
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby 6 a day the healthy way » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:54 pm

I heard august 10th ten bird limit with unplugged guns if that is true where I live will be a war zone!
6 a day the healthy way
hunter

Next

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting