Duck decoy shopping/rigging

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

Duck decoy shopping/rigging

Postby MNjonboatguy » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:40 pm

Looking to upgrade/replace some of my decoy collection. Should I just wait for game fair, or are there any deals out there right now? I wish tax season was in August :wink:

What's everybody's favorite place to buy waterfowl decoys? I'm looking at ghg pro grade mallards or possibly g&h, and I can't find a decent bargain this time of year. Been shopping online mostly on rogers, macks and other random outfitter sites, because stores won't have crap on the shelves until September

suggestions?

Anybody promote for a particular weight/string set up geared towards MN waters? Some newer hunting buddies of mine really like the ace weights with the bungie. Time consuming but they seem to be the best....

I've been using rig em rights for all my mallards teal and wood ducks, and run long lines for divers other than a dozen bills rigged up individually with longer lines and keel wrapping long flat weights. What's your favorite rig and why????
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Re: Duck decoy shopping/rigging

Postby MNjonboatguy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:05 pm

100 views and not a chirp?
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby goldfish » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:33 pm

lol. Lots of creepers looking for that good deal you found. I have some ghg pro grade Woodies and they look damn good. Have held up well too. That's all I've got on the decoys. Krueger farms is another to keep an eye on, but I believe you are right that nobody had sales right now.

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby doubletheshovel » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:17 pm

At Cabelas in Rogers on saturday had a box of returned G&H magnum mallards for 109 not sure how many but they had a lot of G&H decoys for a good prices
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:33 pm

I've started using long lines for some of my divers, but they are of limited value if you don't have a good bag, work better with magnum decoys. I've been debating stinging up a few with short lines but in hunting public water am rarely certain of the water depth.

Most everything I own is set up with about 12 feet of line and a straight lead weight to wrap around the keels. I know some like the stretchy bands but in my experience the rubber cracks over time. I also wrap around the keel to avoid scratching paint, and I try buying decoys where the weight fits around the keel cleanly or the decoys will eventually crack near the keel.

I'll buy anywhere but usaully wait until late november/December and pick stuff up on clearance.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby MNjonboatguy » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:35 am

Good info guys, appreciate it. Im just going to keep my eyes peeled for good deals, and plan on saving some bucks to spend at game fair. I got a couple great deals there last year...I don't think the vendors want to take their product back to their stores after the long weekend. haha

Beretta- I totally agree with the long line/good bag comment. I got a dozen oversized GHG goldeneyes last year that I set up on a long line and I keep them all in a slotted bag (tip-buffleheads cannot resist goldeneye decoys!). They're really nice looking which was the reason for the slotted bag, but it turns out they deploying them is much easier from a slotted bag.

I'm always trying to find shallow water when I'm after puddle ducks, so shorter lines usually aren't a problem for those types of decoys. The few diver deeks that I have individually rigged are set up just like yours. Long lines are great when the water is deep, and the few I have individually rigged have 20 feet of line on them which has come in handy.

Is it fall yet?
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby Ducks22 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:44 pm

Like buying from Rogers when they are on end of year clearance other than that wait till the deals roll out at cabelas or Scheels. as far as brands go I have tried to stick with g&h with a few ghg mixed in. Going to slide in a few Dakota floaters this year and down size the water spread. We do not hunt any deeper water than 4 ft usually unless it is a high water year so no need for long lining. Would like to try though sometime.
Ducks22
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:09 pm

I have some Dakotas and like except for the short keels. Zero complaints about their field goose decoys, except price.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Ducks22 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:31 am

Agree about the price as they are a little steep. Not a huge fan of the goose decoys due to the size. They are big and they take up a lot of room in the trailer and do not fit in my slotted bags which casues a little wear and tear. They look amazing in a field though.
Ducks22
hunter

Postby chasing the GREEN » Thu May 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Rogers sporting goods seems to usually have better prices than other places.
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting