Moving to Montrose MN from Texas

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

Moving to Montrose MN from Texas

Postby Fowlmouth Hustle » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:51 pm

Greetings Gentleman! Just wanted to introduce myself...My name is Justin and I'm pretty pumped about moving up that way. From what little bit of research I've done, I've seen that there's a lot of public hunting options, WMA's, ect. So I'm very much looking forward to doing some pre duck season scouting. Can't wait to hit those potholes.
That said, could some of you give me a little insight? How's the hunting out here guys?!

Thanks in advance!!! :beer:
Acts 4:12
Fowlmouth Hustle
hunter

Re: Moving to Montrose MN from Texas

Postby therewillbeblood » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:04 am

welcome, what part of mn you moving to? there is a good amount of public options but anything close to the cities usually gets hammered. will you be just looking for walk in spots or will you have a boat? in my experience having a boat or canoe really opens up your options.

the hunting can be hit or miss depending on the flight, first couple weeks are usually good until the locals get smart and the woodies leave, after that it mostly depends on the weather pushing birds in.
duck hunting > everything
therewillbeblood
hunter

Postby Fowlmouth Hustle » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:59 am

therewillbeblood wrote:welcome, what part of mn you moving to? there is a good amount of public options but anything close to the cities usually gets hammered. will you be just looking for walk in spots or will you have a boat? in my experience having a boat or canoe really opens up your options.

the hunting can be hit or miss depending on the flight, first couple weeks are usually good until the locals get smart and the woodies leave, after that it mostly depends on the weather pushing birds in.

I'll be in Montrose. West of the cities just south of Buffalo.Yeah I know all about public pressure educating the locals. It's bad in Texas to. Especially during the first split. Think that's just about anywhere you go. Not boat...yet. I'm probably gonna look into getting a little john boat after I close on my house and get settled.

Fowlmouth Hustle
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:43 am

Welcome.

Start with a good map of the mn public lands. You can scout this summer but it often doesn't pay until late Aug/sept when the yearlings get in the air. There's a lot of public water in western mn, but you'll want a boat or at least a dog for moat of it.

There a lot of "shallow" late here that are mucky and actually quite deep or surrounded by bogs so use caution until you learn the body of water you're hunting.

If you field hunt you'll have that many more options but start knocking on doors earlier.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby OGblackcloud » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:01 am

:welcome: Hope you like snow and lots of it :beer:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:58 pm

Welcome to MN!

Lots of water here, so lots of duck hunting options. You'll get different answers from everyone on how the action is up here, for me - Last year was a great year. The wood ducks are most guys best early season action up here and these guys are correct, they can be gone pretty quick. I diver hunt about half the time, after the wood ducks are gone...

Google earth is one of my favorite tools to help me figure out spots that I'm new to. Also very helpful for deciding on your hunt location for the wind, and back up spots in case of traffic.

If you don't have a boat, check these links out for WMA's and walk in spots. Otherwise MN Lakefinder has lots of good info too, but it's geared more towards fishing.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/maps/compass.html

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/wmas/index.html

Good luck, and welcome!
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby Fowlmouth Hustle » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:48 pm

OGblackcloud wrote::welcome: Hope you like snow and lots of it :beer:

Ha!!! yeah Snow in April?! I was there last weekend. My realtor said that hasn't happened since like '82.
Fowlmouth Hustle
hunter

Postby Fowlmouth Hustle » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:53 pm

Great info. Thanks a lot fellas.
Fowlmouth Hustle
hunter

Postby dfrauenkron » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:38 am

:welcome: to MN! Bring some warmer weather and sunshine!
dfrauenkron
hunter

Postby Swamp Gas » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:50 am

Welcome!

Where in TX are you moving from?
Swamp Gas
hunter

Postby Norsky » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:33 pm

Welcome to Minnesota. Hope your move goes well for you.
Norsky
hunter

Postby Fowlmouth Hustle » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:12 pm

Swamp Gas wrote:Welcome!

Where in TX are you moving from?

A little spec on the map called Tioga. About an hour due north of Dallas.
Fowlmouth Hustle
hunter

Postby Fowlmouth Hustle » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:21 pm

Hope to maybe hook up with some of you guys to do a little air traffic control one day.
Fowlmouth Hustle
hunter

Postby goldfish » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:58 pm

You will probably notice that the birds aren't as weary since we are almost first pick on them, but they wise up quick. Also, get used to brown ducks. When we start, they are usually just getting out of eclipse plumage so if all you've ever seen is late season colors you'll be thrown for a loop. Also, don't expect those sprigs to have very big tails.

We get a whole mess of types of ducks depending on where you are. A lot of teal leave the state before we start, but there are still plenty to fill your bag with some good table fare. We don't have a teal season since we raise them apparently. There is talk about letting you open water hunt 4 lakes in the state, but as for now you need to be within vegetation while hunting.

Trying to think of the basics that's unique to us and that's all that's coming to mind right now.

When you come up, bring some of that warm air with you!

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby Fowlmouth Hustle » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:58 am

goldfish wrote:You will probably notice that the birds aren't as weary since we are almost first pick on them, but they wise up quick. Also, get used to brown ducks. When we start, they are usually just getting out of eclipse plumage so if all you've ever seen is late season colors you'll be thrown for a loop. Also, don't expect those sprigs to have very big tails.

We get a whole mess of types of ducks depending on where you are. A lot of teal leave the state before we start, but there are still plenty to fill your bag with some good table fare. We don't have a teal season since we raise them apparently. There is talk about letting you open water hunt 4 lakes in the state, but as for now you need to be within vegetation while hunting.

Trying to think of the basics that's unique to us and that's all that's coming to mind right now.

When you come up, bring some of that warm air with you!

sent from a phancy fone

Good to know. Good to know. Yeah it's funny, by the time they make it down to Texas it's like survival of the fittest. Who knows how many times they've called to or even shot at by then. Texas can be tough especially during the late season.
Fowlmouth Hustle
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting