Early season decoys

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

Early season decoys

Postby chasing the GREEN » Mon May 20, 2013 12:46 pm

Just curious what guys seem to think works best. Early on when the drakes haven't gotten their color in very well, do you still toss out drake decoys? Anyone every really test it out to see if all of a sudden a spread with full color shows up in an area that most don't have it? or since its early season, are they still uneducated enough where you will be fine...
Ive generally put out more hens early but now that ive upgraded my decoys, I don't have as many hens since the almost always put more drakes per dzn when you buy them.
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Re: Early season decoys

Postby therewillbeblood » Mon May 20, 2013 1:56 pm

we usually use 80% hens in early season. when we sell off decoys i usually kepp the hens just so i have an early season spread since as you said the better decoys are drake heavy. a couple times we have out out real colorful spreads early season and it didnt help at all. cant say it hurt us for sure but it definitly didnt help.
duck hunting > everything
therewillbeblood
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Tue May 21, 2013 1:07 pm

I'm not sure ducks are smart enough to count disprotionate numbers of fully colored ducks or not God enough for it to affect hunting.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby goldfish » Tue May 21, 2013 5:57 pm

Save your old beat up decoys that have the paint flecking off. Looks like eclipse plumage. Although last year we killed a full plumed red leg drake the 3rd weekend so it's not like their isn't fully colored birds out there.

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting