Late goose season

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Late goose season

Postby recker » Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:00 am

Headed out to western minn for the late goose season on saturday. This is the first year I have ever tried this season. I certainly was not disappointed with the numbers of geese. Probably twice as many as a few weeks ago when you could not shoot them. They were everyhwere.Missed my alarm on saturday morning and probably missed the best hunting I would assume.Did some pheasant hunting and actually got a few shots at some geese that were flying over. I put out the dekes on the ice saturday night but they would not come in. They would look and I did get some shooting at a few flocks that were low enough. The big news was though that saturday evening I watched mallards come out to feed for 45 minutes straight. I think they were coming from big stone lake. They were not in the area two weeks ago at all so must have just shown up. You could have had some good mallard shooting if you found the right field I believe.Usually the mallards show up in the area in force right at freeze up which was basically right around when the season closed. It seems that is the past few years they are holding in canada until the last possible second. Maybe we do need to look at a split season?I still think numbers are way down but it does seem that ducks show up here after alot of water is frozen. I remember a few years ago going to a boat lauch on the miss about an hour south of the cities in the middle of december. As far as the eye could see in the main channel it was loaded with divers of all kinds. The temps were really cold but the ducks were thick. Anyway on to sunday. This is the type of thing that really gets me. The geese came really good for about an hour starting at 9am and I got some pass shooting as I was right in the flyway. There were probably 20 or 30 thousand sitting on a slough and using it as the roost. All of a sudden I look over and the whole swarm gets up and leaves at once. I figured somebody tried to sneak up on them and shoot. Well i ended up getting checked by the dnr when i walked out and this was confirmed. He saw a car parked in that area and had noticed the guys walking out towards the geese. He had not checked them yet since they had not come back but I assume they blasted at them and that was it.That kind of thing makes no sense and just blows the geese out of the area. I guess some people will never learn. He went on to say some people were getting a few geese but having to work for them. It is amazing how smart they are even though this area had been closed on geese since oct 31 until the late season.Oh well it was at least nice to get some shooting since the last few weeks of the ducks season were a complete bust.
recker
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:24 am

As for the nimrods jumping the resting geese -- I totally agree. It is the bane of the spring Snow goose season too. They are so skittish they will not decoy. I remember a few years back that when my truck hit the crest of the hill on the road--and the geese were 3/4 mile away they all got up---absolutely the fault of all the run and gun pressure of jump shooting flocks :pissed: Normally you have to be within a 1/4 mile before they got edgy. Mmind you I did not stop, but was just driving a constant 25 mph and they got up 3/4 mile away.

:pissed: at the jump shooters of geese.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

leave em alone

Postby Dunk221999 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:30 pm

No kidding, Let em roost and let them feed, you wonder why there are no ducks or geese sitting on the ponds, and why the ones that are around won't decoy? Its because of people jump shooting them like this. We were shooting geese all season off of this string of lakes, no one was bothering them, so they always had a safe roost even if we shot at them in a field at least they could go back to the water and then find a new field that night. However toward the end of october a group of 3 guys decided to jump shoot the lakes..... These lakes had over 5000 geese on them, and three guys shot em all right out of the area. It just doesn't make sence to me. Field access was not even a problem in the area either. It just comes down to lazy hunters.
Dunk221999
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:48 pm

Jump shooting snows has it purpose. We have farmers call our house and ask us to come get them off there wheat. Jumpshooters around here keep the snows from all going to the same field which helps out my decoy hunting when they look for a new place to sit.

I can't speak for everybody, but I have worked harder trying to belly crawl close to flocks of snows than I ever have goose hunting over decoys. Like everything else, it has its place.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby MinnDuck » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:12 am

We have been late season goose hunting all week so far near Monticello, it seems like all the geese we have seen are very skiddish and hard to decoy, I have seen at least 3,000 geese so far this week skirt our spread at 80 yards, we have changed spreads several times had our best luck last night with a tighter spread. We watched over a thousand geese in a field the other night while we were scouting and a dump truck dumped its bucket at a construction site about 1 mile away and the geese all got up at once and left. What a messed up year for ducks, there are more ducks around right now then there has been all season. We saw a fresh cut corn field with about 4-5 thousand mallards in it the other night, just tornadoes of ducks swarming over it, I thought i was in the dakotas for a moment. Besides smaller flocks and geese that break off bigger flocks it has been difficult to finnish geese this week so far. Except right at about 4:30 when legal shooting hours end after that the geese will sit right down in your dekes. Why dont they extend shooting hours until 1/2 hour after sunset????
MinnDuck
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting