Headed to minn for work!

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

Headed to minn for work!

Postby Weblake » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:01 pm

Hey guys I'm new to this forum but no stranger to duck hunting, I currently live in tx and I'm coming to Elk River, Minnesota for work. I'll be there all the way until December and would love to do some duck hunting and fishing while up there. Where are some good places to hunt close to where I'm going, and how does the public land work up there? I lived in Arkansas for about 5 years and there is a lot of government land there to hunt for free. Is there any public land to hunt close to where I'm going to be and do I have to have any special permits to hunt them?

Thanks for all the info and looking forward to coming up there. Looks beautiful up there.
Weblake
Newb

Re: Headed to minn for work!

Postby iFAIL » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:29 pm

There's public hunting land all around but you just have to put time in into scouting out places. Hopefully this helps out.
https://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pw ... ta+DNR+WMA
That horrible duck call, it was I!
iFAIL
hunter

Postby therewillbeblood » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:19 am

I live about 10 miles from where you will be. there is public land all over the state. most places you do not need a special permit and the kind of duck hunting you will be able to do depends on the gear you will have. boat? etc..............

the public land around here gets hunted pretty heavy on weekends fyi
duck hunting > everything
therewillbeblood
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:15 am

Check our dnr site....decent maps. If you get away from the city public can be good. Weekdays near the cities aren't always bad either.

Enjoy!
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Weblake » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:27 am

I won't have a boat, don't have room to bring it, I'll just have my waders and decoys. I have about 5 dozen mallard decoys. Do I need any different kind of decoys and what works best up there as far as how many decoys? Do y'all normally throw out a dozen or 3-4 dozen? And what kind of water is in the area I'm going? It looks like just a bunch of creeks and rivers, not to much big open water.
Weblake
Newb

Postby Ducks22 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:47 am

Should be fine with mallard decoys, maybe a few divers to put in the mix later in the season or some teal early. There will be all kinds of water. I hunt in the general area and do quite well and I rarely if ever use a boat. We do a lot fo field hunting in the area. Start driving and knocking on doors get permission on private land, it is not that hard. There are a couple big operations in the area and most will let you get on. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Got any questions about specific areas, shoot me a PM.
Ducks22
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:29 pm

Welcome;

After living in north Texas for the past 8 years and moving back home I can tell you a few things, get ready for some "Minnesota Muck" and hunting out of a boat most of the time. Also get ready to shoot birds that have not come close to reaching full plumage. TON of public land up here, as someone else said....scout....scout....scout....

Let me know when you head back to TX. There are two lake I hunted every week with only local guys hunting on up by the Red River.

Very small lakes that are over looked by all the DFW city hunters. (which is hard to find)

Welcome again!
"If you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby goldfish » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:22 am

Woodrow03 wrote:get ready for some "Minnesota Muck"

Just because you can see the bottom, doesn't mean you can stand on it.

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:49 pm

Welcome to MN!
Here are a few online resources to get you started.

Recreation compass is a map system that'll show you boundaries of state parks, trails, WMAs, WPAs, and public water access
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/maps/compass.html

This link is an awesome tool. There is a downloadable extension for google earth that will shade all of the WMAs and bring you to any available information for the piece of land you are looking at.
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/wmas/index.html

This site is more about fishing, but is good for finding boat launches and lake information.
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/index.html
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby MinnesotaBornKiller » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:31 pm

Welcome to da nort!
MinnesotaBornKiller
hunter

Postby Weblake » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:15 pm

Thanks for all the replies and help guys!! I've also heard y'all have some great goose hunting, really looking forward to getting on some Canadians! I'll let y'all know how it goes when I get up there and I may be looking for a good goose guide as I do t feel like hauling that many decoys up there. If you know a good one let me know. Thanks Jaymie.
Weblake
Newb

Postby goldfish » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:28 pm

Ps, they are canadas, not Canadians. Although we like their syrup and whiskey, that's about all we tolerate of them foreigners but they haven't opened a season on those guys yet, lol

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby Socko2479 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:12 pm

Hit me up some time weblake. I live in the area and got all the stuff we need. Week days work best, cuz most my buddies are working, but weekends work too, just more crowded. Eckman12@msn.com
Socko2479
Newb

Postby Weblake » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:13 pm

Hey socko that would be great. I have been up here about a week now and see Canadians flying over the rv park every night! Shoot me a text sometime so I'll have your number because I'll for sure hit you up on that offer. 479-774-4292. I will say one thing I've run into a lot of helpful and nice folks up here about hunting and fishing.
Weblake
Newb

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting