8 Days Away!!!! Thoughts?

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

8 Days Away!!!! Thoughts?

Postby MinnesotaBornKiller » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:32 am

August goose hunt. What are your thoughts?
MinnesotaBornKiller
hunter

Re: 8 Days Away!!!! Thoughts?

Postby iFAIL » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:41 pm

My thought are, where is all these geese? I don't remember seeing any flying around since early spring. Duck and geese haven't been flying around much since I decided to do some hunting in August but i'm counting down the days as well. Who knows, might not even get any with all that hard work being put into scouting.
That horrible duck call, it was I!
iFAIL
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:59 pm

Have been scouting a few fields in the metro I have locked down and watching a few big flocks of "new birds".....

Field....Walk to water....walk back to field.

If I dont see any take flight by next week I will not be heading west; instead I will head north for some more fishing. :biggrin:
"If you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby MinnesotaBornKiller » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:40 pm

Woodrow03 wrote:Have been scouting a few fields in the metro I have locked down and watching a few big flocks of "new birds".....

Field....Walk to water....walk back to field.

If I dont see any take flight by next week I will not be heading west; instead I will head north for some more fishing. :biggrin:

I might be with you on that one!
MinnesotaBornKiller
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:38 am

I'm still debating...I was going to head west but fly out of country for work that Sunday...kind of a pain to go out late Friday without time to scout and just have one day to hunt so I may have to pass.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby chasing the GREEN » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:16 am

I have only seen short flights on water. Havent seen anything flying around and none in the fields. Im thinking that it might not pick up till mid Aug, but that's just me.
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby Storm MN » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:24 pm

Have decided I'm going to wait and just go out on the opener September 1st. Just doesn't feel right to be goose hunting in august already for me.
Storm MN
hunter

Postby Full Force Five » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:49 am

I saw one flock flying this weekend. They were not very high and going a short distance from water to a hay field. I'll wait until Sept 1.
I knew this would happen.
Full Force Five
hunter

Postby iFAIL » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:54 am

I didn't see any flying but i saw a bunch in the water where i was scouting. Looks good but they could be long gone when saturday comes along.
iFAIL
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:00 am

I saw a group of six honkers flying in my hometown last week, the only geese I've seen flying in months. I have hunted a farm near Ortonville for a couple years and will be in touch with the farmer tonight to check on his bird situation. If he tells me they're not flying yet, I won't bother.

Does anyone plan on hunting water for this August season?
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby pondhopper32 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:00 am

Im gonna try it. I went out scouting a little over the weekend and saw a few birds, not huge flocks but they are around. I'm going to go to water, unless you have permission to hunt a golf course there's not much land to hunt. The corn is tall and I don't see how birds would be feeding in crops with nothing on the ground to eat. As far as birds not flying right now, most ducks are still in summer molt which means they can't fly and are hiding in the tall grass for protection, I'm not sure if geese do the same thing mid summer but I wouldn't be surprised. I will definitely be bringing the fishing poles along, my biggest concern is what to wear, I was thinking swim trunks and a bright green shirt. :biggrin:
pondhopper32
hunter

Postby goldfish » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:35 am

Day glo Speedo for me

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:50 am

Man I can think of a few spots I could float a sucker minnow and sit out over some goose decoys at the same time. That might actually be my ultimate fantasy now that I think about it.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:22 pm

I want to say this topic has come up on the forum before, I too dream about fishing with a sucker minnow while duck hunting. I just looked through last year's regs and couldn't find anything about it, but I've heard from several friends that you can't be fishing while you're hunting. If anyone has an answer on this I would love to hear it.

Using a duck decoy as your bobber would be awesome!
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby iFAIL » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:27 pm

I asked around and some of my buddy also said you can fish and hunt at the same time but you can't be moving. I for one is not sure if this is real or not so i'm not going to get a ticket for fishing and hunting at the same time. I would also like to know if it's really legal or not.
iFAIL
hunter

Postby Swamp Gas » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:11 pm

I'll stick to fishing. Most I've seen recently still have yet to get full color. Skeeters will be terrible as well.
Swamp Gas
hunter

Postby doubletheshovel » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:41 pm

I think I am going to stick to fishing as well. My hunting buddy and I have always wanted to through out a line early season while we wait for shooting hours or that mid morning slow time. Well if anyone knows for sure they should post where it is stated but I cant imagine that it would be illegal as long as you have your licenses. My parents live in South Dakota and I have talked with my dads buddy and he said the worst thing they did was have a August Goose Season. He said by the time duck season comes the geese are shot at so much they do not commit for crap. I think a spring season would be better for the population control the DNR is looking for. Oh well I hope I get to test the theory that geese do not commit during the regular season as myself and 3 buddies got drawn to hunt the in SD this season. Well whoever is heading out I wish you luck and pack the bug spray.
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Postby goldfish » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:03 am

MNjonboatguy wrote:
Using a duck decoy as your bobber would be awesome!

Motion in the spread without a battery if you leave the fish hooked on, lol

sent from a phancy fone

goldfish
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:35 am

You know I have never thought of that, but you can use live birds.....never saw anything about not being able to gently tie a sunfish to a decoy. Time to do some research.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby MNkid7 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:45 am

scouted for about 5 hours this morning about an hour west of the cities and only found 2 fields with geese using them. One had about 50 geese and the other only 20 or so, but both farmer I talked to said they have had multiple people ask them so I wasn't going to deal with trying to beat all those people to the field opening morning. So it looks like I will be fishing this weekend instead of hunting.
MNkid7
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:58 pm

It looks like I won't be getting out this weekend. BOO!

Back to my duck decoy bobber idea, any thoughts? How sweet would it be to watching your bobbing duck decoy all the sudden take off across the lake? Would kinda be like tip up fishing except you have to chase it down....lol
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby Jimbuck » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:24 pm

I think that would essentially be jug fishing which is a no go in Minnesota. I'd call your local CO to confirm though.
Jimbuck
hunter

Postby goldfish » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:29 am

Lol, hook a sucker on a goose decoy and let a slough shark shake that baby around a while. Lots of motion!

But yea, I'm sure it's against the law some how. I saw someone say on the coast the hook bait on the end of their long line and let eels drag them around, that's where that came from.

sent from a phancy fone

goldfish
hunter

Postby chasing the GREEN » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:41 pm

Has anyone seen geese flying around yet? I still haven't seen any groups moving around other than just short flights on their water. Doesn't matter too much for this weekend cause I have drill but im hoping they will be moving around and in fields the following weekend
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby Mort » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:03 pm

I think its going to be tough, not much flying around here.
Mort
hunter

Next

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting