Think back through all the early mornings....

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

Think back through all the early mornings....

Postby Woodrow03 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:30 am

How many new folks have you tried to get in this sport?
Never was a waterfowler; just pheasants, deer and yotes.

I was taken out a few years ago by a close friend and was hooked after day one.
He had deeks and calls; I had the boat and dog.

We lived in TX together now he is in KC and back up here in MN.

We still try to plan hunts every year together.
I dont know if I should thank him or scold
for such an addiction.

Since then I try to take 2 new guys out a year.

Who got you hooked?
"If you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
Woodrow03
hunter

Re: Think back through all the early mornings....

Postby MNjonboatguy » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:00 am

A cousin took me out when I was 14 or 15 and I was hooked instantly. Unfortunately, this cousin lived 50+ miles away and my folks weren't the most cooperative taxi service, that was the only hunt I got to go on until I had my drivers license. When I finally got my license I tried new (terrible) spots and met as many folks as I could to team up with and learn from. I went through a dry spell in college where all of my money was dropped on rent and tuition and bad behavior all together. Since college I have been at it pretty hard for 5 years. Each year I'd pile enough money together to buy a dozen dekes, then a layout blind, then a boat, blind, new gun, dekes dekes dekes, calls, dekes, spinners, outboards, waders, bibs, camo camo camo etc.... and it hasn't slowed down any yet

I've hunted at least once a year with this cousin who got me hooked on quack, and I remind him every year of the blessing/curse he has put upon me.

I got to take my little cousin out for his first duck hunt last year and the first bird he killed was a banded drake wood duck. Unreal. I've never been so proud/happy/jealous/pissed at the same time. I'm taking him out again on youth day this year and I told him if he gets another band I'm going to make him swim back to the landing HAHAHA!
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:08 pm

My dad was a half-hearted hunter growing up and I was just a bird nut. I'm not sure why but they always fascinated me. I made him take me when I was old enough and that was it. We could pretty much run right out back and I had a buddy two houses down that was pretty hard core too so I got addicted early.

I try to get out with some new folks each year. I hunted with a couple new guys last year from DHC and it was great. I've actually got out with some folks from a couple different states too. It has almost always worked out well. I have to say I haven't been as good about getting other into the sport....maybe I come off a little strong with my addiction. :yes:
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby kbooger » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:06 pm

My BIL took me a couple times. He actually got me into bowhunting first, he didn't end up liking it. I got pretty into it. He always told me I'd like waterfowl hunting and to get my hunter's safety (don't need it for bowhunting). I finally took the online course and bought a shotgun. We went out to a game farm and I did pretty well for never shooting a shotgun before.

The first time I actually went waterfowl hunting I was with my buddy. It didn't go well we only saw 1 bird. I gave it another shot with my BIL and opening day it was a few volleys and that was it. I was hooked.

I've tried to get a couple people into it but getting up really early and trying to talk someone into taking a hunter's safety course has proven difficult. I've taken a few people shooting, all of them liked it.
kbooger
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:55 pm

my dad use to take me when I was younger then 8. id sit in the bottom of the duck boat (that I still have today) and cut at cattails with my little swiss army knive. I had a 5th grade teacher who took me out for a youth day and I ended up shooting 2 bluewing teal that day. I wish I still had the picture. Ive always been hookd. but I only could hunt as much as the old man up until I was 16. then it was on. but then I got married had kids and it less and less and then fell out for a couple years. but a guy I work with got me back into it hard again. and now I take my 7year old son and 3year old daughter out with me they love it. Ive takein my sister out and now shes hookd also her daughter came and she loves it shes always askin when we goin duck hunting today.

boy is missin because I had to get him back to school other wise he was in on this hunt.

yea I know there coots but the kids still had fun

but sometimes he gets in on a good hunt
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:57 pm

hillbilly.. wrote:my dad use to take me when I was younger then 8. id sit in the bottom of the duck boat (that I still have today) and cut at cattails with my little swiss army knive. I had a 5th grade teacher who took me out for a youth day and I ended up shooting 2 bluewing teal that day. I wish I still had the picture. Ive always been hookd. but I only could hunt as much as the old man up until I was 16. then it was on. but then I got married had kids and it less and less and then fell out for a couple years. but a guy I work with got me back into it hard again. and now I take my 7year old son and 3year old daughter out with me they love it. Ive takein my sister out and now shes hookd also her daughter came and she loves it shes always askin when we goin duck hunting today.

boy is missin because I had to get him back to school other wise he was in on this hunt.

yea I know there coots but the kids still had fun

but sometimes he gets in on a good hunt

Excellent pics...no shame in drilling a coot. They taste pretty dang good.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Mort » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:53 pm

MN duck opener 1992....

I was 11 years old and my dad, 2 uncles, and cousin all went to a couple sloughs just west of my home town.

My dad had me carry a 20 gauge pump. With only one shell in chamber at a time.
I fired around 30 rounds that day, i f I can remember the season opened at noon, a d never dropped a duck. I missed a lot of teal, and even fired at some geese.

But I was hooked and right around MEA that year I shot a bluebill. First duck and will never forget it.

Now my dad and one uncle from Cold Spring haven't missed an opener since!!!
Same slough, 3 dogs later we still hunt the openers together.

Funny how things change though. Used to walk around and through rushes carrying
everything but the kitchen sink!! Now we paddle a boat.

Ive been averaging around 18-20 morning duck hunts a season for about the last 10 or so years .. absolutely love it!!

I've been on many deer hunting trips, walleye fishing trips, elk hunting in Colorado, salmon fishing on Lake Michigan..and I'd take a cold, cloudy, windy day on my slough, with my dog and a few shots at some colored ducks anyday over all that other stuff.
Mort
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:13 pm

beretta24 wrote:
hillbilly.. wrote:Excellent pics...no shame in drilling a coot. They taste pretty dang good.

thanks ive turnd them into jerky guys sure look at you funny when you tell them there coots. and on the second pic am I cut on your computers because on mine I am??
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby kbooger » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:51 am

hillbilly.. wrote:
beretta24 wrote:
hillbilly.. wrote:Excellent pics...no shame in drilling a coot. They taste pretty dang good.

thanks ive turnd them into jerky guys sure look at you funny when you tell them there coots. and on the second pic am I cut on your computers because on mine I am??

If shooting a coot gets a kid into hunting, by all means do it!
kbooger
hunter

Postby suicidal_scaup » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:01 pm

My first hunt my dads friend bout me out to La Qui Parle to goose hunt. I remember having to get up at "like 3:00am" to drive from near hutch there. This friend, Jim, had taken my two older brothers out and they always told stories of how fun it was. I was very excited to be "the one" he took out that year. He had introduced many kids into waterfowling in the past so I was lucky to get "chosen". My dad was really into bow hunting and had never gotten into ducks or geese, so I was glad to go with Jim.

Although it was early I remember being so excited to go on the hunt. I really had no clue what to expect but knew it would be fun. On the way, we stopped at a trucks top for breakfast. I wanted to order pancakes, so I told him I wanted three of them. I was only 12 but I was a big kid so I figured I could eat them no problem. Luckily Jim made me only order one because the cake was bigger than the plate.

We got to the field and set the decoys and waited for the geese. Of course, I wasn't paying attention and a loner came in so he took it. A bit later, a pair came in. He said, "here they come, I'll tell you when to shoot. Stay still til then." He said go and I pulled up..."bang,bang,bang" and all I heard after that was laughter. Missed all three shots. It was about a 25 yard shot and he couldn't believe I didn't knock one down.

I never heard the end of that one, but have been trying to knock 'em down ever since. After Jim took me, my brothers said it was ok to go with them. They liked it because I was too impatient to sit and wait so I would always go jump the potholes. Of course I would never get a shot and they would always get them since I flushed them to their decoys.

Hunting for me has come a long way from sharing two pairs of waders for three guys and setting a dozen dirty, paint-chipped mallards to hunting out of a 17' War Eagle behind a nice scissors blind looking at eight dozen decoys in the middle of November.

I will never forget the experience Jim gave me and have thanked him many times.

I have since only taken out one kid on the youth hunt. I was fortunate enough to bring his father with. He shot two teal and a goose with a 20 gauge on his very first hunt. He, and his dad have since invested a BUNCH of money into waterfowl and love every minute of each season.

I wish teachers were able to take more kids out hunting. Nowadays, teachers have to be very careful due to previous teachers stupid actions.
Quoted from my wife while I am tapping on my iPad, "Are you talking about ducks again?"
Me, "Yep".
suicidal_scaup
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:23 pm

suicidal_scaup wrote:My first hunt my dads friend bout me out to La Qui Parle to goose hunt. I remember having to get up at "like 3:00am" to drive from near hutch there. This friend, Jim, had taken my two older brothers out and they always told stories of how fun it was. I was very excited to be "the one" he took out that year. He had introduced many kids into waterfowling in the past so I was lucky to get "chosen". My dad was really into bow hunting and had never gotten into ducks or geese, so I was glad to go with Jim.

Although it was early I remember being so excited to go on the hunt. I really had no clue what to expect but knew it would be fun. On the way, we stopped at a trucks top for breakfast. I wanted to order pancakes, so I told him I wanted three of them. I was only 12 but I was a big kid so I figured I could eat them no problem. Luckily Jim made me only order one because the cake was bigger than the plate.

We got to the field and set the decoys and waited for the geese. Of course, I wasn't paying attention and a loner came in so he took it. A bit later, a pair came in. He said, "here they come, I'll tell you when to shoot. Stay still til then." He said go and I pulled up..."bang,bang,bang" and all I heard after that was laughter. Missed all three shots. It was about a 25 yard shot and he couldn't believe I didn't knock one down.

I never heard the end of that one, but have been trying to knock 'em down ever since. After Jim took me, my brothers said it was ok to go with them. They liked it because I was too impatient to sit and wait so I would always go jump the potholes. Of course I would never get a shot and they would always get them since I flushed them to their decoys.

Hunting for me has come a long way from sharing two pairs of waders for three guys and setting a dozen dirty, paint-chipped mallards to hunting out of a 17' War Eagle behind a nice scissors blind looking at eight dozen decoys in the middle of November.

I will never forget the experience Jim gave me and have thanked him many times.

I have since only taken out one kid on the youth hunt. I was fortunate enough to bring his father with. He shot two teal and a goose with a 20 gauge on his very first hunt. He, and his dad have since invested a BUNCH of money into waterfowl and love every minute of each season.

I wish teachers were able to take more kids out hunting. Nowadays, teachers have to be very careful due to previous teachers stupid actions.

No kidding....i may or may not have had a shotgun in my truck in high school for hunting, but just a few years prior you would've had a place to keep one at school.

Not all change is good.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby doubletheshovel » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:26 pm

My first hunt was 3 yrs old in the duck boat with my dad. He had a group of guys he hunted with for years and the first time I went out was when I was 3. I dont remember much from then but I do remember the breakfast opening day at the truck stop. Then sitting out in the middle of this little pothole with all the other boats telling stories till about an hour before shooting then our group push polling away to there stops and getting read for the birds. After that on my first youth hunt I got my first goose. I was pumped and hooked on waterfowl hunting. My dad would get my buddies and I out of class so we could go out hunting when we were in high school. I had no opportunities during college as for the first two years I was in the UP of Michigan and had no one to hunt with. Then the next years were at NDSU but again had no one to go with and school, work, rent and fun took up most of my time and money. I started to go to local WMAs after college with some cheap decoys and a inflatable boat. I was introduced to suicidal_scaup a few years back now and I was hooked after some awesome diver hunts and my first goose in 15 years. Now I have my own boat with blind and crap ton of decoys. I was able to take my soon to by nephew out on the youth hunt last year and he had his limit of wood ducks by 9 and a mallard. Got to take him during regular season and didnt do as well. I also got to take my other soon to be nephew out just to watch and learn until he gets to be old enough to hunt and he is hooked blowing on the duck call I got for him and learning from the CD on how to call. I aslo got to introduce a few guys to a diver hunt. Overall duck hunting has given me a chance to enjoy the outdoors and introduce someone new to an experience hunting ducks or taking someone out for the first time.
2012-09-08 10.10.07.jpg
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:08 am

Good stories guys. Now here is my brief story.

Wife bought 14 foot Gregor boat with 15 HP Merc for fishing.

First day boat is in the driveway she comes home it has boating lights and fog lights and a new trolling motor to give company to the new camo paint job.

Had a friend who I deer hunted with inform me about a few spots to check out north of Dallas that gets over looked.

Went up and check out his Intel and sure enough tons of birds with shallow water levels.

Tell my buddy who got me into the sport about the spot.
He shows up Friday night at 10pm. He is an avid duck hunter. He brings deeks and calls. I have boat and dog.

He walks in the door and says let's go.

So off we head to the launch. Get. There around 130am.

Three boats already in the water.

Off across the lake we go. It was about 40 degrees and was going to get down to the low 30's before sun up.
I know its Texas and quite warm for duck hunting but I bought the cheap waders for 60$ with no insulation what so ever.
Get to the back waters where I was going to take him and there were already 4 guys there.

We moved down the shore from them and set up. By 230 I am freezing. We shot the crap for a few hours and the next thing you know the sun was coming up and the birds were all over.

Had great shooting until about 930am.

Around 8 am he heard my teeth chattering....
He looked at my waders and said we need to go get you new ones tonight.

We shot a ton of ducks that year on those hidden lakes I was told about and my friend would still come down from KS to hunt with me.

Now being back in MN I plan on heading to KS to hunt with him.

You can see in the pictures below my skin color is a lot different in the warm waders from cabelas.
Over those hunts with him I learned a ton of good information on duck hunting. I soaked it up and I am very thankful for our relationship and him for giving me a new experience I have become addicted to.

"If you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby firefighter4231 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:05 am

My first story!!

It was when I was in the Army. I was stationed in Louisiana.(Wish I was still there sometimes) One of my friends asked me if I wanted to go duck hunting. Growing up I had only been deer hunting. I thought what the heck. So I was told to meet him at the boat lanch at 4am. I show up in jeans and a camo button up shirt. My buddy gives me crap about showing up in jeans and how that was a horrible choice of pants. Anyways we make our way out to the blind.

This blind was the coolest duck blind EVER!!
We drove into it like a bat cave. Then we docked the boat, and my buddy unlocks the door to the blind. Once inside I see two benches with flip open fences looking out over about 30 dozen decoys. I was in shock!

Well the shooting wasn't the greatest. However my buddy then fired up the bulit in grill and make chicken sandwiches!! It was great!

After that day I was deployed to Afghanistan shortly after and was unable to get out hunting again in Louisiana.

However once back home in MN after getting out of the Army, I purchased my first hunting dog, then gun and my first set of decoys and started trying to figure out how to duck hunt. It has been a great journey that I learn new things from every time I go out!

I am getting so excited for the 21st!!!
firefighter4231
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:57 pm

This is a great topic, I'm typing this into a cell phone so it will be short, if time allowed I'd most likely write several pages. I started off with my dad when I was 5 or 6. He would set out an old foam herters just for me too shoot with my bb gun, that's my first hunting memory. As I got older I got a single shot 20. I was always given the first shot at ducks, dad was the leader of the crew so his word was law, I'm sure his buddies would of let me have it anyways, great mentors. As I got older I went from being johns kid to a member of the crew. Instead of being a tag along I was given responsibilities, getting the spot, running down cripples ect. When dad couldn't go me and his buddies went, there 30 years older but were still good friends, not many things can unite young and old guys like hunting. The crew is smaller now than it once was, two 30 year olds and 2 retired guys. When I was young I was never left at home when there were ducks to be had, because the senior members of the crew always made sure I got to hunt I now do the same for them.
StuStiltman
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:35 pm

StuStiltman wrote:This is a great topic, I'm typing this into a cell phone so it will be short, if time allowed I'd most likely write several pages. I started off with my dad when I was 5 or 6. He would set out an old foam herters just for me too shoot with my bb gun, that's my first hunting memory. As I got older I got a single shot 20. I was always given the first shot at ducks, dad was the leader of the crew so his word was law, I'm sure his buddies would of let me have it anyways, great mentors. As I got older I went from being johns kid to a member of the crew. Instead of being a tag along I was given responsibilities, getting the spot, running down cripples ect. When dad couldn't go me and his buddies went, there 30 years older but were still good friends, not many things can unite young and old guys like hunting. The crew is smaller now than it once was, two 30 year olds and 2 retired guys. When I was young I was never left at home when there were ducks to be had, because the senior members of the crew always made sure I got to hunt I now do the same for them.

It's awesome how the tides turn. My dad hasn't cleaned a fish or bird in over a decade. And I wouldn't change a thing.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
beretta24
State Moderator

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting