Early Early Early Report!

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Early Early Early Report!

Postby Woodrow03 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:38 am

Headed west from the metro Friday night.
Set up camp around 8pm.
Not a lot of hunters around.
Only saw one flock flying around on our way west.
Ended up hunting a WPA Saturday morning.
Saw a few ducks but not a single Goose in the air.
Called back and fourth to another hunter across the WPA on Saturday morning.
Called it around 9.
Scouted the rest of the day. Found about 100 birds sitting in a cattle field with about 50 cows.
Attempted to jump shot a gravel pit we have permission to hunt with about 15 birds in it. Busted.

Drove for another 2 hours. Found some birds loafing on a WPA. Busted again.
So more or less this was a scouting trip for regular season.

Set up in said pit on Sunday morning hoping birds may come back. No luck. Fog rolled in at 630 am.

On a positive note water levels appear to be up and we were happy with the amount of ducks we saw.
Pictures to follow soon.

Didn't see many hunters.
How did your group do?
Last edited by Woodrow03 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
Woodrow03
hunter

Re: Early Early Early Report!

Postby Woodrow03 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:42 am

"If you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby iFAIL » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:00 am

We went out saturday morning as well with high hopes. We didn't hear any gun shots untill like 45 minutes after shooting time. Saw a big flock of geese that took off but had no plans of coming our way even with th calling we did. As we gave up at about 8:30 and gather up the decoys a flock flew by and we manage to get 2 geese. Went back out sunday and did see a single geese. All the gun shots being fire was nowhere close to us. Might wait a few weeks until i head out again.
That horrible duck call, it was I!
iFAIL
hunter

Postby Ducks22 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:56 am

Rough weekend for us on geese but had a great pigeon shoot, wait till next weekend i guess.
Ducks22
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:36 pm

Out now seen two feilds with geese apparently owners kid is aguide so no and then said wed appeshate if you didn't hunt the area but were on about amile away dnt think it will matter though because the have acoupe good size ponds on there property
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby goldfish » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:46 pm

hillbilly.. wrote:Out now seen two feilds with geese apparently owners kid is aguide so no and then said wed appeshate if you didn't hunt the area but were on about amile away dnt think it will matter though because the have acoupe good size ponds on there property

If they are guiding and don't want you to hunt I'd tell them to make it worth your while to not hunt it or else go piss up a rope

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:03 am

hillbilly.. wrote:Out now seen two feilds with geese apparently owners kid is aguide so no and then said wed appeshate if you didn't hunt the area but were on about amile away dnt think it will matter though because the have acoupe good size ponds on there property

F that last part. Hunt where you have permission. I mean I wouldn't be a d*ck and down wind them on purpose but don't feel bad about hunting in the "area" just because there's a guide.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby MinnesotaDan » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:06 am

If somebody asked me not to hunt a certain area because their son was a guide I would have probably laughed thinking it was a joke. I'm gonna hunt where the birds are wherever legal (without being a jackass about it.) Nobody owns the geese tho, not sure why they would feel so entitled.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby Ducks22 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:30 am

Gotta love guides that try to run an area that shouldn't be guided in. If the area that you hunt cant handle the pressure of hunters beinging in almost every field then the area shouldn't have a guide in it. So in MN there are not too many areas that should have guides. Rochester, Theif River, Lac qui Parle, Metro area are areas that can handle guides because there are enough birds.

Oh and I would be a **** about it and run traffic and down wind them every chance I had because I can guarantee that they will do it to you when the opportunity is there for them to make a buck or two especially in the smaller areas. Just my opinion so what the hell do i know.
Ducks22
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:19 am

I wasn't in on that last part tats wat they told my buddy and this guides gota lota land lockd that holds about 8 very good sized ponds looks like actual good hunting. But come season the start shootin there gona fly around and hope to fly to the pond I'm on...and we forgot our pole man there were sum nice sunnys and bass.
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:55 am

You should have gotten on one knee. Pounded the sand or gravel picked up a handful of dust and thrown in it the air to check the wind....

Then smiled at him and said did you see the direction of the wind?
When he answered yes. Out of the NW.
Say thanks. That's where you will find me down wind from you running traffic control.
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:48 am

I'm with the other guys on this, whoever asked you to not hunt in their area is completely asinine. Farmers do own property, which all hunters must respect....but they don't own the birds or the flyway.
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:12 am

well its 1am and we just desided to give it another shot loadin gear right now.
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby goldfish » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:41 am

hillbilly.. wrote:well its 1am and we just desided to give it another shot loadin gear right now.

Jealous

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:49 pm

So did any one even go or get any????
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby suicidal_scaup » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:38 pm

We went...coulda just as well stayed home. Friday night almost had a group of teal take our heads off but saw zero geese. If it was an early cormorant season we would have limited out.

Saturday morning went to a different lake but were beat to the lake. Never thought anyone was gonna be there. We went to the east side of the lake and the first group went to the west side. They must have had a single swim into their blocks from a local group roosting on the lake. They shot twice followed by a kill shot. Didn't see much in the air. After we left, there were about 75 birds feeding in an alfalfa field. The birds were in the middle of the field, so a jump shoot was out of the question.

Finished the day shooting sporting clays with doubletheshovel (also hunted with him). I went 42/50 on clays...hopefully that will follow into the duck season. Gonna try to chase doves next weekend.
Quoted from my wife while I am tapping on my iPad, "Are you talking about ducks again?"
Me, "Yep".
suicidal_scaup
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:30 pm

The should open a state wide cormarate season things are every wrre and some states have one
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:16 pm

Where did you shoot sporting clays at?
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby Mort » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:55 pm

hillbilly.. wrote:The should open a state wide cormarate season things are every wrre and some states have one

I would even pay for a license!!!
Mort
hunter

Postby doubletheshovel » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:24 pm

Minnesota Dan, we shot clays at wild marsh over by clear water. Nice place a little spendy but they have 3 courses and always have 2 open.
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:56 pm

Whats expencive?? Haven't shot at one since 2002
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby doubletheshovel » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:50 pm

hillbilly.. wrote:Whats expencive?? Haven't shot at one since 2002

It was 23 for 50 clays. They have 9 stations. I think at Deltone in St cloud it is 17 for 50 and they have 8 stations but that one is closed right now.
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:16 pm

doubletheshovel wrote:Minnesota Dan, we shot clays at wild marsh over by clear water. Nice place a little spendy but they have 3 courses and always have 2 open.

Oh cool, I shot at Wild Marsh this summer once, I try to make there a few times a year. I shot a 39 out of 50 on their harder course and I was pretty happy with that. Its a fun time talking trash and trying to out shoot the homies.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting