GoPro

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

GoPro

Postby suicidal_scaup » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:58 pm

Well I got a GoPro for this season to record all of my missed shots. Anyone have any advice on using a camera for duck hunting? Location of the camera? Lighting? Anything...

I think it would be neat to put the camera on a post in the water off to the side of the blocks so you can see the shot and the bird. I just don't want to accidentally shoot the camera!

Thanks for any input.
Quoted from my wife while I am tapping on my iPad, "Are you talking about ducks again?"
Me, "Yep".
suicidal_scaup
hunter

Re: GoPro

Postby goldfish » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:27 am

I've got a swann (knock off go pro) that I want to monkey with as well this year

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:51 am

fix it to a stake behind your blind so we can see all the action :beer:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby suicidal_scaup » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:25 am

That's a good idea. I have a long mojo stake that one of my students welded that is 10' long. I need to fab something to mount the camera to the stake... An overhead view would be cool.
Quoted from my wife while I am tapping on my iPad, "Are you talking about ducks again?"
Me, "Yep".
suicidal_scaup
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:30 pm

Depending on what you have it likely has somewhat of a fish eye lense so you shouldn't need to have it too far behind you to get a view of the action. With that said, most of the Go Pro video I have seen that has been taken from behind the hunter makes it tough to see the birds. But hell, i've never tried it so don't go by me. :beer:
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby therewillbeblood » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:16 pm

we got a couple and the fish eye lens makes the ducks look way farther away, so don't put it too far behind you. what go pro did you get? that will effect how well it works with poor light.
duck hunting > everything
therewillbeblood
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:42 am

I haven't used one but I guy that I know used one for snow goose hunt this spring and the best footage he got the goose was about 30yrds out and you could hardly see it. might have to get a couple of them to get diff angles :smile:
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby suicidal_scaup » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:59 pm

hillbilly.. wrote:I haven't used one but I guy that I know used one for snow goose hunt this spring and the best footage he got the goose was about 30yrds out and you could hardly see it. might have to get a couple of them to get diff angles :smile:

I think I need a second job to fund this hobby...!
Me, "Yep".
suicidal_scaup
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:41 pm

suicidal_scaup wrote:
hillbilly.. wrote:I haven't used one but I guy that I know used one for snow goose hunt this spring and the best footage he got the goose was about 30yrds out and you could hardly see it. might have to get a couple of them to get diff angles :smile:

I think I need a second job to fund this hobby...!

I need 2-3 more.
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby therewillbeblood » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:47 pm

a tripod is also really helpful so it doesn't shake like when you wear it on your head.
duck hunting > everything
therewillbeblood
hunter

Postby goldfish » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:03 pm

I would have to imagine a regular camcorder on a tripod behind you would be cheaper and better since it isn't fish eye.

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby firefighter4231 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:27 am

I purchased a gopro this year for capturing hunting footage as well. I found some good stuff online. Captureyourhunt.com has some good adapters for mounting it to you gun. Once the season gets going I will post again with my updates on how my gopro is going.
firefighter4231
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting