Late teal migration?

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Late teal migration?

Postby MinneKans » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:32 pm

Read a post on Nebraska DU Migration Map where the poster speculates the teal migration will be later than normal this year. His argument was that nesting was delayed due to the long winter and delayed spring nesting, resulting in a late migration. Would be nice to get in to more teal in Minnesota's early part of the season. This plausible?
MinneKans
hunter

Re: Late teal migration?

Postby beretta24 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:23 pm

MinneKans wrote:Read a post on Nebraska DU Migration Map where the poster speculates the teal migration will be later than normal this year. His argument was that nesting was delayed due to the long winter and delayed spring nesting, resulting in a late migration. Would be nice to get in to more teal in Minnesota's early part of the season. This plausible?

I don't things got started quite late enough to effect the fall migration. But I've been wrong many times before.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby kbooger » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:44 pm

IMO by the time the season starts there are nearly always teal and woodies around. Last year they stuck around more than a month. I also believe there are tons of local teal and woodies.

I think the only way the fall migration would be effected is if they got started so late that they aren't even flying by the time the season starts. Actually that would only effect hunting, I'd think they'd still migrate mostly based on weather. But I'm no waterfowl biologist so I could be wrong.
kbooger
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:29 am

kbooger wrote:IMO by the time the season starts there are nearly always teal and woodies around. Last year they stuck around more than a month. I also believe there are tons of local teal and woodies.

I think the only way the fall migration would be effected is if they got started so late that they aren't even flying by the time the season starts. Actually that would only effect hunting, I'd think they'd still migrate mostly based on weather. But I'm no waterfowl biologist so I could be wrong.

There are always some around, but not as many as there are today.

beretta24
State Moderator

Postby mauserfan » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:44 am

That's interesting. Fledgling loons are still not in the air up here. When I think of it, I've only seen a single duck here and there flying and no family groups. Same with the Honkers. Will be interesting to see what happens.....mauser
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby Ducks22 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:49 am

Not sure what it is going to do but we always have plenty of teal in the Southern part of the state usually through the 1st week of October and keep on shooting decent numbers through out the month. I know that a good chunk usually do leave before the season starts though. Might look good for this year, not too much moving around yet, next two weeks will tell a lot.
Ducks22
hunter

Postby dfrauenkron » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:51 am

I have seen and shot teal way into November last couple years. It never fails I'll pull my teal decoys out of my spread cause I'm not seeing any. Then the next hunt, boom there they are again. And they are fat, the best tasting birds I shoot all year.
dfrauenkron
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:57 am

A lot happens in a month.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Ducks22 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:14 am

Agreed a lot happens in a month, and yep you will shoot those little things until ice up. We had a great shoot of greenwings last year in ND as the ice was forming and the snow was falling. Fun little bonus in the mix of mallards.
Ducks22
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:38 pm

Ducks22 wrote:Agreed a lot happens in a month, and yep you will shoot those little things until ice up. We had a great shoot of greenwings last year in ND as the ice was forming and the snow was falling. Fun little bonus in the mix of mallards.

Greenies will be around later every year. They migrate later than their cousins in general. I too have drilled blues in November on occasion though. Never seen one after thanksgiving though.

beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Mort » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:47 pm

Nobody complains about a green wing with a brown head and a half inch of fat on there breast do they???
Mort
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:58 am

I'd still like a nice one or two for the wall.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Mort » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:32 pm

beretta24 wrote:I'd still like a nice one or two for the wall.

Yes me too!!
Mort
hunter

Postby therewillbeblood » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:57 pm

head south in January, you will find your nice one for the wall.
duck hunting > everything
therewillbeblood
hunter

Postby doubletheshovel » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:05 pm

I was reading the St Cloud Times Sunday paper outdoors section and last year hunters shot 184,00 wood ducks and 123,00 BWT and those numbers are up about 30,000 birds from the year before so it may be having the season open earlier is helping with number of teal shot in the state. I hope the season opens with lots of teal and woodies cruising the skies and buzzing heads.
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:13 pm

therewillbeblood wrote:

head south in January, you will find your nice one for the wall.

On the list...I've crossed 19 states off for hunting or fishing but I haven't hit much straight south of us except for TX.

beretta24
State Moderator

Postby doubletheshovel » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:19 pm

I don't know about any of you guys but my bucket list is basically to hunt all 50 states for waterfowl. I am probably starting to late and am to poor to ever get it done but I start my first steps this year getting to hunt South Dakota. I hope I get the chance to see the full plumage of every species on this journey. I have a dream of a full colored drake shoveler and cinnamon teal on the wall some day.
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:36 pm

doubletheshovel wrote:I don't know about any of you guys but my bucket list is basically to hunt all 50 states for waterfowl. I am probably starting to late and am to poor to ever get it done but I start my first steps this year getting to hunt South Dakota. I hope I get the chance to see the full plumage of every species on this journey. I have a dream of a full colored drake shoveler and cinnamon teal on the wall some day.

Get a job that includes travel. I haven hunted or fished in 16 new states and 5 different countries since 2006. I crossed many of them off on work trips. Provides opportunity and cuts cost; i.e. no plane tickets. Unfortunately my current job limits travel, but on the other hand I am home with the wifey more so she is happier to support my goal. :beer:

The other challenge is there are not a lot of folks that have the means and interest in putting in the effort to do such things.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby doubletheshovel » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:45 pm

Beretta24 this is true. I may get a chance to go and hunt SC or NC but that would be about it. I will just plan and save to do it. I figure I can get SD, ND, Iowa, Wisconsin and Illinois with minimal cost of lodging as I have both friends and family in those states. I would love to here about some of the areas you have hunted in the states you have hunted.
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:40 pm

I just tried typing something up but it logged me out before I posted it. I will try again later but I don't have it in me tonight.
beretta24
State Moderator

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting