St.Croix goose hunting?

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

St.Croix goose hunting?

Postby walter » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:24 am

Was wondering if the hunting is worth trying for the September goose hunt on the St.Croix anywhere between the Osceola bridge down to William O'brien State park?
"If you ain't first, you're last!" Ricky Bobby
walter
hunter

Re: St.Croix goose hunting?

Postby chasing the GREEN » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:11 am

If you do find the birds on the river, all you will do is get maybe one good shoot on them. you shoot them in their save zone on the river and you burn that whole group from the area. so you may get one shoot if you can, but you also will ruin a big number of field hunts in the area. find the water, get there before they fly and go get permission from the fields they are hitting. that way you can get many more hunts out of it and not screw over the other field hunters in the area that put scouting time in.
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby walter » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:32 am

So, I shouldn't hunt water when duck season opens either because we'll disrupt the hunters using fields on the surrounding areas?
That will fly like a lead balloon! HAHA!
walter
hunter

Postby MN BMX Dad » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:11 am

Looks like you asked for an opinion and he gave you his.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
MN BMX Dad
hunter

Postby walter » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:19 am

MN BMX Dad wrote:Looks like you asked for an opinion and he gave you his.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

True!
walter
hunter

Postby Ducks22 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:25 am

Agreed that shooting off the water will get you 1 hunt and it will be done. Try to get on the fields, if you cant then hunt the water. If you dont hunt the water chances are that someone else will. Ducks and geese are different though, I do NOT hunt water for geese if I can avoid it, i am going to hunt regardless, just rather be in a field. Ducks will come back to an area if they are shot off, might take a day but they will be back(Not Mallards). If you shoot geese off a roosting area, they are gone and will not be back.
Ducks22
hunter

Postby goldfish » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:04 pm

Just remember, someone who "spends time and gas scouting" owns any birds within 3 counties because they may or may not use that field. Oh wait...

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:25 pm

I'm sure this won't make me popular but ive got experience busting roosts. Here's what I've learned. If you bust a roost pond there gone and definitely won't be back anytime soon. If you bust a roost on a lake they usually come back in a day or two, usually not the same spot but on the same lake. I'm not sure if that applies to rivers like the st. Croix. And just to keep from offending field hunters I'll say I only bust roost ponds at freeze up or when the owner asks me to, I certainly don't want to mess up a hot field for a guy.
StuStiltman
hunter

Location: kinda between Fergus, DL and lawndale. draw a triangle on a map, I'm in there

Postby beretta24 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:23 pm

StuStiltman wrote:I'm sure this won't make me popular but ive got experience busting roosts. Here's what I've learned. If you bust a roost pond there gone and definitely won't be back anytime soon. If you bust a roost on a lake they usually come back in a day or two, usually not the same spot but on the same lake. I'm not sure if that applies to rivers like the st. Croix. And just to keep from offending field hunters I'll say I only bust roost ponds at freeze up or when the owner asks me to, I certainly don't want to mess up a hot field for a guy.

There are plenty of roost areas in the twin cities that can't be hunted. They adjust quickly. Nothing is going to get out of dodge this early. But continue to believe otherwise if you would like.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby StuStiltman » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:29 pm

I should of been more specific, I was talking about outstate, not the metro area. I have no idea what goes on down there. Maybe my first post wasn't helpful, sorry...
StuStiltman
hunter

Location: kinda between Fergus, DL and lawndale. draw a triangle on a map, I'm in there

Postby beretta24 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:43 pm

Not worries...my post came off a bit short but wasn't intending to be combative. I agree that if there ate limited safe zone they'll move on out. They tend be flexible on rivers in my experience as well as long as they can find a safe haven or learn to come back after shooting hours.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Gunnysway » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:39 am

chasing the GREEN wrote:If you do find the birds on the river, all you will do is get maybe one good shoot on them. you shoot them in their save zone on the river and you burn that whole group from the area. so you may get one shoot if you can, but you also will ruin a big number of field hunts in the area. find the water, get there before they fly and go get permission from the fields they are hitting. that way you can get many more hunts out of it and not screw over the other field hunters in the area that put scouting time in.

Someone's been hanging out in the NoDak forums... :rolleyes:
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby walter » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:32 am

I absolutely have no intentions of blowing up a roost. I totally understand that fields guys get upset when hunters hit up the water, I was one of them but now I don't have those resources anymore. I've done the whole scouting and getting permission in the past and I don't have the time and the best field equipment to compete against other hardcore field hunters. My objective is only to bring a few birds paddles down into my dekes and whack'em and get out. My gig now a days is pretty much water unless I hunt with buddys that have the best field equipment. Enough of my rant. Glad to here other peoples suggestions and comments to. Thanks.
walter
hunter

Postby pj » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:43 am

Too many Kayakers and canoer's through there for a legit roost to build. I've shot a few along there during the Early season. Lots of hunters there too. Worth a shot though if you don't have anything better to try.
For every tear a smile.
pj
hunter

Postby therewillbeblood » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:41 pm

ive shot geese on one side of a lake and they just moved their roost over to the other side so they don't always leave the area after being shot at. on a smaller pond its been a different story though... they gone
duck hunting > everything
therewillbeblood
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:55 pm

I hunt on a lake that has a roost about 600 yards away and ive shot geese and haven't distrumpd the rest of the ones waiting to get up. then ive seen guys "sneak" up and shoot at the roosting geese that were well over 60yrds out. managed to call couple to us that day. and next day they were right back wwere they were the day before.
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:36 pm

Not the St. Croix, but my experience on the Mississippi is that when the shooting starts on the river they start coming back to roose real late, was past shooting hours late.

People should just get out hunting as often as they can and hunt within the confines of the law and good sporting ethics and not worry about what the elitist mentalities think.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby olt d2 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:36 pm

Two things, first, hunting license requirements are different on boarder waters then fishing. you can not hunt or take game on the wis. side without a wis. license even though u put in and take out on the Minnesota side. the middle of the channel is basiclly the state line. second, be very careful not to trespass most of the shore line is private.
olt d2
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting