Info for DBLtheShovel

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

Info for DBLtheShovel

Postby beretta24 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:08 pm

Her Sir,

Per your request here's a quick run through of the places I have been to date. I am planning to hit all 50 states at some point, as well as at least 6 continents, but we'll see what happens. I am a waterfowler at heart, but as you can see from the list I like to try different things. It may appear that it's all about crossing things off, but for me it's been about seeing new places and combining it with my interests. There are lot of memories and miles wrapped up in this list. As long as I am fortunate enough to stay employed and have the continued support from my wife I can only add to it.

States
1. Minnesota – I have lived here all my life so I won’t go into any details on this one.
2. Wisconsin – So far I have only fished there on a few lakes. I’ve most stuff from crappies to muskies there
3. Colorado (2004) – I tried fly fishing on the Big Thompson River west of Loveland, and found out I had no clue what I was doing. I lost a few fish, and might have to try CO over again.
4. Montana (2006) – Went fly fishing on the Madison River just west of Yellowstone. We caught some nice rainbow trout and a couple browns. There were a ton of people fishing but we made the most of it.
5. Florida (2008) – I took my sister and her friend out for a guided trip on the coast just east of Jacksonville. We caught a bunch of sea trout to make it a fun day but we got skunked on redfish.
6. Mississippi (2008) – This is when I started getting serious about trying different things and crossing states off. I went on a hog hunt using a knife near the Tallahatchee River west of Tupelo. I got one sow about a 100 lbs and it was some of the best game I have had. And I must have cleaned up well because the hotel let me come back after I deboned the quartered out hog in the bath tub. :yes:
7. New Jersey (2008, 2009 and 2010) – I was out there for work a lot and went fishing a few times out of the Barnegat Bay area. We caught a mess of blues and I caught one solid striper that measured about 42”. I also duck hunted on the Shrewsbury River and in the Bay west of Atlantic City. We shot some black ducks, widgeon, buffies, greater scaup, hoodies, and I am still kicking myself for missing a flock of brant. My eyes got way too big when they came by us.
8. South Dakota (2009 and 2013) – I have fished walleyes on the MO River near Chamberlain, and ice fished near Webster for jumbos and walleyes.
9. Texas (2009) – I had a great guide in Aransas bass for redfish. We smacked ‘em dead sticking and on top water. Still one of if not my all-time favorite fish on the grill. They are excellent with just a little butter and blackening seasoning. :grooving:
10. North Dakota (2009 and 2011) – I’ve been up there a couple years for ducks and geese. Shot a lot of different species of ducks, giant canadas, Hutchinson’s, and a few snows. I might try some upland game hunting there this year and someday I will get drawn for a swan tag.
11. Maryland (2009) – I took my dad out to DC for a long weekend and we snuck over to the Chesapeake for a sea duck hunt. We did manage some buffies and a few oldsquaw, but I had my worst guide experience ever, after the guide sent his buddy in place after some personal issues popped. I got a nice oldsquaw on the wall from that trip but it could’ve been way better.
12. Alabama (2010) – I did a quick bobwhite quail hunt near Vernon. It was fun learning how to shoot the little buggers. It took me while to remember to let them get out there a little ways.
13. Oregon (2010) – This was easily my favorite guided fishing trip. We were on the Columbia River east of Portland fishing for white sturgeon. Both me and my then girlfriend (now wife) caught fish that were about 7 ½ ft, and everyone in the boat caught some good fish. We were fishing with a former Alaska senator and he told me that “you’re crazy if you don’t marry that woman”, after he saw her go into the most disgusting schitter I have even seen at the boat ramp, and she never said a word about it. :beer:
14. Washington (2010) – I got out on a duck hunt with a couple DHC locals. We were on a lake east of Puyallup and shot some bluebills and buffies. It was an absolutely picturesque location with snow on the pines. Hunting was a little slow but it was a good times. I also did a little grouse hunting out there but climbed a lot of mountain sides without firing a shot.
15. Connecticut (2011) – I did a quick fishing trip for stripers in Norwich on the Thames river.
16. Ohio (2011) – I got skunked fishing for ‘eyes on Erie after a huge storm washed a bunch of trash into the river near Cleveland. The guy only charged me $90 due to the circumstances so it wasn’t a big deal.
17. New York (2011) – My most humbling day on the water came on the Upper Delaware near Hancock. I was fly fishing with a guide out of a drift boat and have never chased more finicky fish in my life. Learned a lot about fly fishing and lost a pig brown trout. Gorgeous water but very challenging fishery.
18. Michigan (2011) – A group of us fished for lakers off if Standard Rock north of Marquette. We caught a ton of fish from a couple pounds up to one that was 38” or so if I remember correctly. We had a great guide and brought home a lot of fish for the grill.
19. California (2011) – I went on an ad hoc duck hunt on the Colorado River with a friend of a friend. I managed to shoot a wiley coot (@), but it was a rough day and a little early in the season.
20. To be determined…I am due for a new state next year so we’ll see what happens.

Countries and territories
1. US (see above)
2. Canada (2004 and 2007) – I’ve been on Discovery and a few other lakes, and once on the English River
3. Mexico (2011) – My wife and I took a charter with another couple and caught a mess of bonita, skip jack tuna, and yellowfin tuna. We didn’t catch anything monstrous but we caught plenty and had the hotel cook a couple up for us.
4. Argentina (2012) –All I can say is WOW, and I will be going back. I went with another DHCer to an area north of Sante Fe on the San Javier river. We shoot around 20 species of birds from ducks, a couple kinds of pigeons, a couple doves and two species of perdiz. Great people, food wine, and hunting all rolled into one.
5. Puerto Rico (2012) – I got skunked there chasing some Tarpon near San Juan. Horrendously dirty water but there were a lot of fish. I missed a couple and lost a snook near the boat.
6. Ireland (2013) – I was just there for work and caught a few brown trout on the River Suir south of Cahir.

If a person is really interested in trying some new things it really isn't too hard. You may to spend a good number of hours doing research, but a lot of times I just made some good contacts while traveling for work. Everyone has their hobbies. This is one of mine. I hope this is what you were looking for... :beer:
beretta24
State Moderator

Re: Info for DBLtheShovel

Postby therewillbeblood » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:37 pm

so it looks like you have a couple chapters of your autobiography already written, thanks to this forum. lol
duck hunting > everything
therewillbeblood
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:49 pm

I've only hunted in 2 states man that's depressing but non res license fees are hard on a man sometimes. I've fished all over. Minnesota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Colo, Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri, Alabama, Florida, Wisconsin. Not sure why I even felt the need to share.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby doubletheshovel » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:40 pm

That was a great read. That is exactly what I was talking about I hope more people post past experiences it is fun to share stories and remember them as well Thank you
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:49 pm

doubletheshovel wrote:That was a great read. That is exactly what I was talking about I hope more people post past experiences it is fun to share stories and remember them as well Thank you

No problem...I just hope there are some in the next generation that have the same passion for this stuff so we can keep it available.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Mort » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:50 am

Beretta24, sounds like you've enjoyed some great times all over!!

Thanks for sharing!

I've got relation in ND and they aren't getting any younger, I need to get up there!!!
Mort
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:26 am

Mort wrote:Beretta24, sounds like you've enjoyed some great times all over!!

Thanks for sharing!

I've got relation in ND and they aren't getting any younger, I need to get up there!!!

If a person puts on some miles they can do well there. And a lot of people over look the diver hunting. It's a good place to chase some bills and cans.
beretta24
State Moderator

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting