Jerk Cord questions

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Jerk Cord questions

Postby chasing the GREEN » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:41 pm

So I have never used a jerk cord, just got a set up ready to go. I can hook up 4 of them... basically the same set up as the rig em right ones out there. I have 1 dz high end decoys 1 dz mid range and a bunch of lower end decoys (all mallards for this). Since the jerk cord is the movement, should I use my best decoys on it since that is where logic would put the birds eyes? or should I keep the nicer ones stationary since the ones with no movement probably need a little help.. Im not sure if I worded all that well or not. I am currently leaning to the nicest decoys on the jerk set up but just looking for some second opinions
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Re: Jerk Cord questions

Postby therewillbeblood » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:34 pm

interesting question. I would just get rid of your worse decoys replace them with really nice ones and then you don't have the problem anymore. jk I have no idea, i'd like to hear input on this as well since we just got a jerk cord last year.
duck hunting > everything
therewillbeblood
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:31 pm

Used one or sometimes two jerk cords every hunt down in TX.

We usually put 3 decoys on one and two on the other.

We then placed our stationary decoys around them so the water ripple went into the stationary deeks so it added water movement to almost all the deeks.

As for the quality of deeks I dont believe is matters

The only thing we did was to make sure to mix up head positions such as feeders and active swimmers.

Do not use resters.

Hope that helps
"If you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby BKScripto » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:40 pm

Do you guys use decoys with a regular keel? I've thought about trying to find a few lighter decoys to out on my jerk cord to get more movement.
BKScripto
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:30 pm

I use my heaviest and largest decoys on my jerk string because i think they put off the most water movement. My only advice on how to distribute a mix of decoys in your spread is to put the lowest quality decoys farthest from where you want to the birds to land. If the birds are in close, or finishing, you'd think their eyes would be on their landing area and any obstacles in it.
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby goldfish » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:57 pm

I've heard that you want the jerk string pretty much right where you want the birds landing, so if that's where you put your best decoys (seems to make sense), that would be what's on the jerk string

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby kbooger » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:57 pm

MNjonboatguy wrote:I use my heaviest and largest decoys on my jerk string because i think they put off the most water movement. My only advice on how to distribute a mix of decoys in your spread is to put the lowest quality decoys farthest from where you want to the birds to land. If the birds are in close, or finishing, you'd think their eyes would be on their landing area and any obstacles in it.

this

when you can't use a spinner, jerk cords are like magic. Or if the birds are wary of spinners - magic.
kbooger
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:51 am

They've always seemed like a lot of fing around to me. I'll have to see some in action...then I could be a believer.
beretta24
State Moderator

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting