Guided hunts

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

Guided hunts

Postby Alex.18 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:10 am

Hey guys. Im looking for a guided hunt for myself and 2 of my buddies. Were from Louisiana and want to make a trip up north this season for a change of scenery. If there are any guide services you have used or would recommend, please let me know. Looking for mallards/pintails and geese so what would be the best time of the season to get up there an hunt? Thanks in advance
Alex.18
hunter

Re: Guided hunts

Postby therewillbeblood » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:12 pm

if you want pintails you should head to the Dakotas. you can shoot plenty of mallards here in November or whenever it starts getting cold, same for geese.

never used a guide service so I cant help ya with that.
duck hunting > everything
therewillbeblood
hunter

Postby chasing the GREEN » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:17 pm

Yea Pintails will be hard to find in MN unless you are right on the border with Dakotas, even then they aren't all that common from my experience. If you don't come late season keep in mind the mallards wont have the color you are probably used to seeing down south either..
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby Alex.18 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:27 pm

Thanks for the responses guys. So you think towards the end of the season would be the best time to come to Minnesotta to get mallards and geese? Im not really too worried about pintails. Just want those big green heads. Weve been short on them the past few seasons down here
Alex.18
hunter

Postby Ducks22 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:50 pm

If your looking to shoot numbers of mallards I would stick to the west and nw part of the state if you want a place that has guides I would look to the lac que parle area, if you don't want a guide and better hunting go the extra hour and go to ND. If your dead set on mn look there also the alexanderia theif river fergus falls or the twin cities metro area. But as I said if you want to shoot numbers go to ND and see the flocks of 10000 mallards and once the season is running strong you dont have much competion for the geese. Just my opinion.
Ducks22
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:44 pm

The later the better, as far as big numbers of mallards and geese. Too late and you can get froze out, if would be a shame to travel this far and have all the water frozen and the birds gone. There are some areas around then state that hold birds after freeze up. Most the guides are centered around those areas. As for the best time its impossible to say, if you come up the last week of October you won't have to worry about being froze out but may not get great hunting. If you come up mid to late November your odds of big numbers increase but so does the chance of freeze up. I can't recommend any guides, I don't know any. Good luck.
StuStiltman
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:42 am

The weather can really be a crapshoot. I swear every weekend I head out west to duck hunt, its one weekend too late, or one weekend too early. But the weekend I decide to head out west with just my blaze orange vest and dog for pheasants.... there's ducks and geese everywhere.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting