Earliest Opener in a LONG time

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Earliest Opener in a LONG time

Postby chasing the GREEN » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:46 pm

So seeing as this year duck opens earlier than normal, are you guys making any adjustments to your game plan? Less drake mallard decoys, more teal/wood duck decoys ect. I don't have any teal decoys, but have been kicking around the idea of getting some. Just interested to hear what some of you guys are thinking about this year or if you are planning on just throwing out the usual decoy spread.
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Re: Earliest Opener in a LONG time

Postby doubletheshovel » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:05 pm

Last season we set up with a half dozen mallards and we had teal, wigeon, wood ducks and some redhead decoys. We shot wigeon, teal, wood ducks, redheads, ringers, and mallards. I would say if you are going to put out mallards put out less and use more hens as they aren't going to have the color right now. I think if you have teal decoys out it wont hurt and try to find blue winged decoys. Just my 2 cents
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Postby walter » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:06 am

Brown duck beatdown!!!
"If you ain't first, you're last!" Ricky Bobby
walter
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:48 am

I won't do anything different than last year. A few mallards, few widgeon and gadwall dekes with a couple goose decoys.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Ducks22 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:01 am

Just going to run goose decoys. Putting all but 2 doz duck decoys away for the year. We'll see how it works.
Ducks22
hunter

Postby iFAIL » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:01 am

I was acually thinking about getting some coot decoys in with my spread. People barely shoot coots and they are always just swimming around. I might just have to get some.
That horrible duck call, it was I!
iFAIL
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:26 am

I'm just gonna run a dozen or two mallard decoys with a 8-10 geese. Seems to work. I don't focus on using only hen decoys. I'm not sure ducks are so picky, especially early in the year when they are easiest to fool.

I do have 2 wigeon and 2 green wing teal decoys tho from a GHG puddler pack. Not sure if ducks even notice a different species when its just a couple like that.

If I knew everything there was to know about what ducks are thinking, it wouldn't be near as much fun.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby MinneKans » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:10 am

I just picked up a dozen coot decoys from Walmart $60 and going to try them along with the swan decoys. I'm done buying mallard decoys. Every duck in the nation sees the same dozen to two dozen mallard decoys as they migrate. Just say'n.
MinneKans
hunter

Postby iFAIL » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:01 pm

MinneKans wrote:I just picked up a dozen coot decoys from Walmart $60 and going to try them along with the swan decoys. I'm done buying mallard decoys. Every duck in the nation sees the same dozen to two dozen mallard decoys as they migrate. Just say'n.

Where did you find decoys in Walmart? I haven't seen any in Walmart and for $60, I would buy them myself. I think coots are a perfect setup to fool other ducks into to spread.
That horrible duck call, it was I!
iFAIL
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:50 pm

I leave most of my drake mallards at home for the first few weeks and put out geese, wood duck, and teal decoys.

Opening day I don't think it matters what you have out there, but Sunday and beyond is a different story. I think the drakes are better left at home for the first few weeks. The January Mallards and uber colorful decoys don't look natural in the early season, however, hiding well is way more important.
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby MinneKans » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:35 pm

In response to IFail: Googel coot decoys Walmart

You can order them online. They ship from Flambeua direclty to your local store and you pick them up. Actually, several decoys you can buy from Walmart online and at good prices. After taxes it came to $60 for a dozen. I might buy some redheads I saw on the Walmart site.
MinneKans
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:28 pm

I don't get using coots for confidence decoys, I'm not saying its a bad idea but there seams to be plenty of live coots that are content to sit in my decoys. As for my spread I use mostly geese with a few mallards. Two reasons for that, in most areas ducks aren't used to seeing lots of floating goose decoys, and ducks of all types will land in goose decoys, also you have a better chance of getting some geese. Unless I'm after divers I use mostly geese.
StuStiltman
hunter

Location: kinda between Fergus, DL and lawndale. draw a triangle on a map, I'm in there

Postby dfrauenkron » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:09 am

In the area I hunt the opener is 90% pass shooting. I could shoot ducks with no decoys. And with the low water, there will be even more pressure on the areas that do have water. Anyways I will run some teal, woodies, gadwall, widgeon, mallards, and a small family of geese somewhere. 16 days :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
dfrauenkron
hunter

Postby tilley » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:02 pm

Waaaay over thinking this. Just throw out a few mallard dekes. Unreal!
tilley
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting