Youth Day

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

Youth Day

Postby jpeterson117 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:56 am

Anyone taking out any kids tomorrow for youth day? My son is only 1.5 yr old so I wont be going, but cannot wait till he is old enough! At what age did you guys start taking your kids into the blind? To all that are going, have fun its going to be a hot one!
jpeterson117
hunter

Re: Youth Day

Postby goldfish » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:51 am

Didn't realize it's tomorrow. If I knew any munchkins that wanted to go out I would take them in a heart beat, but all the kids I know are too old or too young

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby Ducks22 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:01 am

Not a huge fan of the youth hunt so when my kids are old enough, they will not do it and will stick to the normal season that everyone has just like my dad did with me. Goose season is open let them go shoot geese if they want to hunt. If they are going to have something like this, I wish it would be more contolled and the ages would be younger(under 12) or something to that effect.
Ducks22
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:47 am

Why are you against it Ducks? I don't have an opinion one way or the other, I'm just curious.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:17 pm

Im stuck at work. but I remember my first youth hunt I was in 5th grade my teacher took me and I shot my first ducks ever it was 2 blue wing teal and I missed a crack at a mallard because I was daydreaming. so yes duck please tell us why youre against the youth getting a crack at some ducks before all the skybusters and every body else get on the lakes?
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby Ducks22 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:07 pm

Just not a fan to have a youth hunt the weekend before the regular season starts. Why open it 1 week before and push stuff around and out of the state faster than it leaves already. We have an open hunting season with geese right now and if you want your kid to get practice shooting birds on the wing, take them dove hunting. You can shoot almost 3 times the birds and by the time season gets here you'll be on you game. The youth hunt helps me because it pushes a ton of birds on to our pond and we shoot ducks all year so it's not about shooting enough ducks. I could care less just something I don't think we need.
Also if the state can open it up that early for a kid hunt why can't we have a teal season? Too early? Can't tell species? Breeding state? Well by letting our kids hunt that early at least we are teaching them to shoot hens.
Ok my rant is over, hope we kick a bunch of birds out of the state tomorrow. Shoot straight.
Ducks22
hunter

Postby Scotty2hotty » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:17 pm

Im taking my son out, this will be his first time hunting he can't stop yapping about (which is a good thing) good luck to those that are participating th.is Saturday
Better, a good days catch of fish than a lifetime of crabs... Phil Robertson
Rolling Rock Pro-Staff
Team Wise Ass
Scotty2hotty
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:28 pm

So then you don't shoot bluewing teal can't tell between drake and hen on them??

hillbilly..
hunter

Postby therewillbeblood » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:26 pm

Ducks22 wrote:Not a huge fan of the youth hunt so when my kids are old enough, they will not do it and will stick to the normal season that everyone has just like my dad did with me. Goose season is open let them go shoot geese if they want to hunt. If they are going to have something like this, I wish it would be more contolled and the ages would be younger(under 12) or something to that effect.

I am not a fan of the youth hunt either just cause im selfish and want all the ducks to myself. I cant believe you wouldn't take your kids out when they are old enough???????? that's basically punishing your kids because your opinion differs from the dnr's. I have some great memories from the youth hunt and was something I looked forward to every year when I was a kid.
duck hunting > everything
therewillbeblood
hunter

Postby therewillbeblood » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:31 pm

you wouldn't let your kids shoot hens either?
duck hunting > everything
therewillbeblood
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:16 pm

I look at it like this: anything that gets kids involved is good for all of us. We've been becoming a dying breed.

With that said I see not taking your kid out just because you can if they're going to hunt anyway. That can be a good lesson in and of itself.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby MinnesotaDan » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:38 pm

I went on one youth hunt when I was 15. I shot a crow.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby Ducks22 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:56 pm

How am I punishing my kid by not taking him for a youth only hunt? We had kids with last weekend and will again this weekend. We will shoot geese and doves just like we did last weekend and they will learn how to do it without any special seasons, put in their time scouting and learn what it is to be a waterfowler and not just a duck hunter. And I wouldn't say that we don't let our kids shoot hens, they can shoot whatever they want but they chose not to if they can avoid it. As for teal I have hunted with some southern guys in Louisiana that can do a pretty good job of only shooting drakes whether its blue winged or green winged. Not too worried about teal though seems to be plenty of them around and with these early season dates i'll be shooting teal next weekend regardless of what they are. With that said I agree it is great to get kids involved which is why I take one whenever possible. Gotta get the trailer hooked up now. Good luck and shoot straight in the morning!
Ducks22
hunter

Postby doubletheshovel » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:03 pm

Ducks if you start shooting teal next weekend you are going to end up in the clink considering the youth hunt is 2 weeks before the regular season and our season does not start till the 21st of this month. I took my nephew out last year on the youth hunt he was 15 and we had a ball. He got his limit of wood ducks 2 drakes and one hen and one hen mallard. He had never hunted waterfowl before and it gave him a great opportunity to see birds coming into the decoys and have his opportunities to be the only one shooting. Since not all kids have fields and land to go hunt doves and geese in or do that much hunting period. The youth hunt is a chance for those kids to get introduced to the sport. I did not have a chance to take out a kid today but to all those who did I hope you had a great experience and got some great memories for both you and the kids.
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Postby Ducks22 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:58 pm

Been a long time since I have been there and yes you are right 2 weeks sorry.
Ducks22
hunter

Postby MNWaterfowler22 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:36 pm

Ducks22 wrote: learn what it is to be a waterfowler and not just a duck hunter.

That statement is just ludicrous...If you actually put the time in on youth waterfowl and teach them about safety, calling, decoy placement, and bird identification how is taking them out during a youth waterfowl hunt turning them into just a duck hunter??? That's great that you take your kids out during the regular season but a youth waterfowl day is suppose to be just about them. It is also about taking a kid out that may not be able to get a chance, if not for a youth waterfowl hunt...But to each their own.

I for one do believe in youth waterfowl hunts and took a coworkers daughter out this morning and had a great time!! She shot her limit of wood ducks and a goose and we called it a day. She had a blast and is a waterfowler for life. Not to mention it gave the dog a nice warm up for opener!!
If that doesn't light your fire, your woods wet!
MNWaterfowler22
hunter

Postby goldfish » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:21 am

Nice mnwaterfowler. Anyone else get out and how'd the kids do?

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby Northcoast » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:30 pm

Took a kid out on a last minute deal no time to scout ducks and because of that we only seen 1 but that aside he knocked down 5 geese only 4 were recovered and not because of lack of effort!!! I'm sun burnt and sore today but well worth it he knocked down a triple and a double brought them in real close couldn't have asked for them to work better!!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378672215.949715.jpg
Northcoast
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:48 pm

MNWaterfowler22 wrote:
Ducks22 wrote: learn what it is to be a waterfowler and not just a duck hunter.

That statement is just ludicrous...If you actually put the time in on youth waterfowl and teach them about safety, calling, decoy placement, and bird identification how is taking them out during a youth waterfowl hunt turning them into just a duck hunter??? That's great that you take your kids out during the regular season but a youth waterfowl day is suppose to be just about them. It is also about taking a kid out that may not be able to get a chance, if not for a youth waterfowl hunt...But to each their own.

I for one do believe in youth waterfowl hunts and took a coworkers daughter out this morning and had a great time!! She shot her limit of wood ducks and a goose and we called it a day. She had a blast and is a waterfowler for life. Not to mention it gave the dog a nice warm up for opener!!

Ludicrous??? That's a stretch. Ludicrous is trying to get congress to go to war against Syria. Ducks22 merely has a different approach to doing things. I'm sure his kid will do just fine.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby StuStiltman » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:05 pm

I didn't have a kid to take hunting so I went goose hunting instead. I talked to a game warden Saturday afternoon, he had not found any youth hunters out, kind of sad.
StuStiltman
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:33 pm

What is the difference between a waterfowler and a duck hunter?
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby Northcoast » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:11 am

A duck hunter is product of duck dynasty someone that leaves the sport with the weather..which I happen to love myself wish there was more of them!! A waterfowler loves every aspect of it down to breaking ice around the blocks the last day of the season...if you get butt hurt about the future members of DU and delta taking 2 to 3 of "your" ducks or pushing them one more county forcing you to scout you are in the wrong sport it's all about passing it on!! Just my opinion
Northcoast
hunter

Postby Ducks22 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:58 am

Northcoast wrote:A duck hunter is product of duck dynasty someone that leaves the sport with the weather..which I happen to love myself wish there was more of them!! A waterfowler loves every aspect of it down to breaking ice around the blocks the last day of the season...if you get butt hurt about the future members of DU and delta taking 2 to 3 of "your" ducks or pushing them one more county forcing you to scout you are in the wrong sport it's all about passing it on!! Just my opinion

Very well said! A duck hunter goes to kill ducks a waterfowler appreciates every aspect of the sport.

And just for the record I could care less about how many ducks were shot last weekend, as matter of fact we let some kids on our pond after a late night phone call with a small group of 5 kids that needed a place to hunt in the morning. Sounds like they had a great teal shoot with a couple other ducks mixed in. My bigger picture is the way youth are brought up in today's society and the way they are being handed everything to them and the way some have a sense of entitlement.

My kids will have every chance to hunt in this state and any other they chose to go along with. They are provided with great hunts and appreciate the hard work that goes into a hunt. My oldest is waiting everyday when I get home to scout or get something ready for the upcoming weekend and he's not even old enough to shoot. I am thankful for everyone who did provide the opportunity to youth this past weekend and will continue to pass on the waterfowling tradition in this state.

By the looks of it, opening weekend should be great. We saw a ton of ducks this weekend. Had multiple flocks of mallards and wood ducks in the feild early and geese were plentiful also. Just wish a few more would leave city limits and get off the football and baseball fields.
Ducks22
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:52 pm

So let me get this strait.... kids should only be taught how to hunt during youth waterfowl day...?

Talk about not doing right by a kid. Youth hunters can hunt in August now (Intensive Harvest). All you are teaching them on YO is how to shoot at ducks as well as geese. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out ducks are the small ones. What can't they learn during early goose? Why can't they wait for duck opener?

They can... I did, and I wouldn't have thought twice about it.

The youth hunting population has shrunken almost every year since the Youth Day inception. Meanwhile everyone else who has scouted and put in time behind the wheel, has to hope the early birds don't skip town when those "crack shots" are squeezing and praying.

Don't get me wrong. We take any kid out that we can... but we hunt geese on Y.O.

Dom w 4.jpg

He doesn't seem to mad he wasn't able to kill ducks... He knows their time will come. :thumbsup:
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:00 pm

so did he shoot all 4 of them geese by himself? how many other guys were there?
hillbilly..
hunter

Next

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting