MN 2013/2014 Seasons Photos

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

Re: MN 2013/2014 Seasons Photos

Postby Gunnysway » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:20 pm

:thumbsup:

Great pics!
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:57 pm

Day 1 hunting with firefighter...two man limit of teal and redheads. The big birds wouldn't work with the lack of wind but ill take it.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1379789816129.jpg
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Swamp Gas » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:06 pm

Lack of wind and fog made it a little tough. couldn't se 20 yards for first hour.

Swamp Gas
hunter

Postby Swamp Gas » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:16 pm

Brown ducks. One BWT was bigger than a woodie.

Swamp Gas
hunter

Postby suicidal_scaup » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:43 pm

Three of us got ten ducks...3 mallards, 3 bw teal, 2 gw teal, a drake redhead, and a hen pintail was a bonus for us. Messed up on some opportunities as well. One goose, but sailed another and couldn't find it which was a bummer.

Trying a new place tomorrow. Nice to have doubletheshovel up hunting and another buddy as well. Good company always makes the hunts better. Keep the pics coming.
Attachments
image.jpg
Last edited by suicidal_scaup on Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quoted from my wife while I am tapping on my iPad, "Are you talking about ducks again?"
Me, "Yep".
suicidal_scaup
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:01 pm

Man I hunted my opening day sweet spot and it was pretty slow. Luckily we got some
Geese and one dumb mallard to commit beautifully. I really didn't see any birds and heard very little shooting. I thought it might have been a little slow after a clear full moon night but it seems everyone else here did well.

Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby suicidal_scaup » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:05 pm

We truly didn't see much. Only had two teal by 10 am and just got lucky when some birds came to us when other groups left. Only had a small group of three commit to the blocks and the single pintail...

Jumping a private pond saved our day...
Quoted from my wife while I am tapping on my iPad, "Are you talking about ducks again?"
Me, "Yep".
suicidal_scaup
hunter

Postby Swamp Gas » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:52 am

Second day was another 2man limit. Not as many seen but the wind helped.

Swamp Gas
hunter

Postby recker » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Not everyone did well. You have to realize most people only post if they did well and some get off and showing other how well they did if they get a limit,etc.

I hunted Minnesota for the first time in 5 years for open and its about the same as I remember the 12 or 9 am openers. The time did not make a difference. People started shooting 21 minutes before legal time in the dark(sad) and by 10 minutes after shooting time it was pretty much over in my area.Thought I might get in on some teal with an early open but only saw ONE flock of them(pathetic). As far as I am concerned you might as well open at 9 am because they still shoot early anyway. Will probably not hunt for several weeks now and let the hunter numbers die off and the birds get some color.

MinnesotaDan wrote:Man I hunted my opening day sweet spot and it was pretty slow. Luckily we got some
Geese and one dumb mallard to commit beautifully. I really didn't see any birds and heard very little shooting. I thought it might have been a little slow after a clear full moon night but it seems everyone else here did well.

recker
hunter

Postby recker » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:16 am

P.S. Minnesota Dan I love your quoe that nobody cares about peoples season totals. Very true! :smile:
recker
hunter

Postby suicidal_scaup » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:28 pm

Pretty slow today. Didn't see a ton. Managed 3 woodies and a mallard. Missed a few woodies and that's about it. There were some high mallards but not many. Had only one group of four woodies and three mallards commit and a single woodie (that we missed) give us a good look. Nothing flew after 7:30 and we stayed til 10:00. Tried to jump the same pond as yesterday, but nothing in it. Scared up one grouse after, but doubletheshovel wasn't able to connect...you bet I gave him a bunch of crap for that! All in all it was a good weekend. Looking forward to hunting with someone new next weekend!
Attachments
image.jpg
Me, "Yep".
suicidal_scaup
hunter

Postby chrisss » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:34 pm

Not as much ducks seen today but did better today then yesterday. A lot of skybusters around us shooting at our ducks that were commiting to the decoys. Overall it was fun
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1379878359865.jpg
chrisss
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:46 pm

recker wrote:P.S. Minnesota Dan I love your quoe that nobody cares about peoples season totals. Very true! :smile:

Yah it's like telling someone about your fantasy football team, nobody really wants to hear about it.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:37 pm

recker wrote:Not everyone did well. You have to realize most people only post if they did well and some get off and showing other how well they did if they get a limit,etc.

I hunted Minnesota for the first time in 5 years for open and its about the same as I remember the 12 or 9 am openers. The time did not make a difference. People started shooting 21 minutes before legal time in the dark(sad) and by 10 minutes after shooting time it was pretty much over in my area.Thought I might get in on some teal with an early open but only saw ONE flock of them(pathetic). As far as I am concerned you might as well open at 9 am because they still shoot early anyway. Will probably not hunt for several weeks now and let the hunter numbers die off and the birds get some color.

MinnesotaDan wrote:Man I hunted my opening day sweet spot and it was pretty slow. Luckily we got some

So you're saying you're done and again and the rest of us can shoot the birds?

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby suicidal_scaup » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:08 pm

beretta24 wrote:So you're saying you're done and again and the rest of us can shoot the birds?

:thumbsup:
Me, "Yep".
suicidal_scaup
hunter

Postby recker » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:26 pm

Shoot away!!

beretta24 wrote:
recker wrote:Not everyone did well. You have to realize most people only post if they did well and some get off and showing other how well they did if they get a limit,etc.

So you're saying you're done and again and the rest of us can shoot the birds?

recker
hunter

Postby jriegel22 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:06 pm

Well my season got off to a dream start. Saturday Morning, we get out to our spot around 2am, had guys set up on us 150 yards on each side, so I think we are screwed. Soon as shooting time came around we had birds coming from every direction. 25 minutes and a box and half of shells later we had 11 teal and 1 pinny and were done before it even started.

we camped nearby and went and took a nap in the pop up portable ices houses we used as tents, really nice with a cot in them. After the nap made dinner of foil potatoes and teal kabobs, Delicious.

Sunday set up in the same spot, my first friend had to leave for day two because he girlfriend got a boob job and he needed to be home. Jon Boat Guy and his buddy hopped in the boat for day 2. action was not nearly as fast but still very consistent and fun. shot 11 BWT, 5 wood ducks, and 2 mallards, with a bonus goose. Probably will never beat this opener with camping, ducks and friends it could not have been better.

jriegel22
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:58 pm

Way to smack em
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Woodrow03 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:55 pm

No limits here.

4 woodies on Sunday

3 teal and 4 mallards on Saturday (Western MN)

First time getting the old .man out with me duck hunting since I have been back:
Great times

Last edited by Woodrow03 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:58 pm

JR22 nice hunt and post! Thanks for sharing
"If you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby Swamp Gas » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:28 pm

My favorite part of a hunt.

Swamp Gas
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:08 am

jriegel22 wrote:W

my first friend had to leave for day two because he girlfriend got a boob job and he needed to be home. ]

what for he cant play with them for atlest another month minimum.

and my day starts tomarrow. gona be rockin the 20g and try to doubt you nay sayers with the .410
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:04 am

We had a great opening morning despite the front that pushed most of the teal south, and a harvest moon that allowed us to listen to geese flying over the cabin at 11:00PM... :fingerhead:

Got up to the cabin with my buddy on Wednesday evening around 3:30PM. Decided to head over to the refuge to see what was using it, and to find the direction they were heading to/coming from. Not many geese to be seen, and only a few ducks. Mostly teal.

:help:

Decided to try our farm for geese, and see what happened. Thursday morning was an eye opener...

The sky was FILLED with ducks.

Mallards by the hundreds. Teal practically taking off our heads (crazy little ba$tard$), and woodies screeching like a tone deaf childrens chior.

So, we sat... and waited on the geese with fingers crossed.

B waiting.jpg

Saw 2 geese... just saw 'em... a LONG way away, but heading to the refuge. Then the weather came in. NASTY rain and wind, and it seemed like a good time to pick up.

Bad weather.jpg

Sad about the amount of geese in the area, but thrilled at the prospect of having more ducks in the area than I could remember.

After the cold front pushed through, and we had full bellies and a much needed nap... it was scouting time.
Started at the refuge again.

THANK YOU MOTHER NATURE!!!

Scouting.jpg

The geese were here... and none too soon, as we were thinking about the massacre that was about to take place on Saturday. :grooving:

Friday morning was fast and furious. Ducks buzzing our goose spread with no abandon.

The geese that morning were LOUD. We could see them lifting off in flocks of 5, 10 and more, circle the refuge fields and, either land again, or head the 300 yards to the lake that is in the middle of the refuge... those ba$tard$ sat there all day...

:crying:

Even worse... the teal had all but disappeared, do to what I can only guess as the cold front that came in the day before. The flocks of mallards were reduced to pairs and small groups of 5 to 10, and the woodies were all but invisible.

Well there are geese...

We were joined by another friend on Friday evening, and after a LOT of elk chili and a few cold ones, we turned in early.

Saturday morning turned out to be a great shoot, considering we saw a total of 5 teal... all together, and 1 small flock of mallards, but the woodies showed up.
It was hard distinguishing most of the drakes from the hens, but we managed 6 woodies. 3 hens and 3 drakes.

Then it was time for the geese to get up and move around. So we waited...

B in the rushes.jpg

Wade in the rushes.jpg

With the amount of shooting going on around us, it helped to break up flocks and we were able to work small groups and pairs of birds.

Gunnysway
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:05 am

In the end, we were able to have a GREAT hunt that lasted until 10:00AM, shooting at small flocks that gave us the oppertunity, and singles and pairs that worked over the goose spread.

Tail gate pic.jpg

Tailgate shot.jpg

Gunnysway
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:08 am

Forgot about the best part of the weekend...

As always, it is about good friends, food and the love of the sport.

Sweet sunrises don't suck either... :thumbsup:
Sun Set On Horsehead.jpg

Gunnysway
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting