MN 2013/2014 Seasons Photos

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Re: MN 2013/2014 Seasons Photos

Postby beretta24 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:15 pm

Glad ya found em in SD....we busted our a**es for birds in ND this past week.

VERY few puddle ducks on land we could access.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby suicidal_scaup » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:35 pm

Geeze...I hunt for the day and don't get a chance to look on here and it seems everyone is killing everything. It was a rough hunt today and will do a write up tomorrow. Doubletheshovel is here tonight and we are hitting the lakes early in the am.

Nice shooting to all of you and the layout hunt looks absolutely awesome!
Quoted from my wife while I am tapping on my iPad, "Are you talking about ducks again?"
Me, "Yep".
suicidal_scaup
hunter

Postby suicidal_scaup » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:51 pm

Well, I didn't have to work on Friday so I was pumped to get on the water. A coworker of mine that was coming with had never hunted divers before, so he was even more excited than me. We planned to meet at the landing by 5am so we could get "the spot" before other people got there. Got to the landing before Aron did, so I got everything ready. The landing was iced up, so I needed to break ice to land the boat. No big deal, I have been here before. Turns out the ice was about 1 1/4" thick and took some determination to break up. I broke up what I thought was enough to back the trailer in without breaking the newly installed trailer lights from this summer. Upon inspection, it turns out I was unable to wade out far enough to break enough ice resulting in a broken tail light. Strike one. After landing the boat, Aron showed up and we are working on turning the boat and breaking our way out into the lake. It was cold enough where my controls on my boat were froze, so I was unable to rev the engine up to power through the ice. Strike two. So, I attempted to break up the ice in front of the boat with my push pole but ended up breaking the aluminum pole where the foot of the pole attaches. Strike three. At this point, I should have taken it as a sign that we were not meant to hunt. To top it off, I look out on the lake and someone had landed a boat on a private landing and had made it to the spot before us.

After some serious brainstorming and some swear words, I realized I could break the ice by sitting on the bow of the boat and partially standing on the ice which would crack the ice and lift the boat onto the ice before breaking through. Since our spot was taken, we went up wind of them to stay out of their way as they had made it to the best spot fair and square. With a SE wind, there was not much for options, so we had to set up in some pencil weeds, making us partially exposed. Early we missed on a flock of ringbills that came straight into the decoys, but were able to drop a hen merganser that bombed in. Aron brought his 9 month old yellow lab, so we were glad to drop any birds to get Scout some practice. Shortly after, two hen redheads gave us a great look and Aron was able to drop his first two redheads of his life. After it got a little lighter, all we could do was watch the show. We watched the group that beat us kill a 5 man limit of ringbills, redhead, mallards, bufflehead, and bluebills. It was fun to see, but would have been better to do. They left, and we set up where they were for about an hour and were only able to scratch out one more hen merg. Had a good opportunity at a pair of Goldeneye, but messed up. Overall, Aron had a great first diver hunt and cant wait to go next weekend now that he got his deer this weekend and is free for the last weekend of hunting in our area. The day continued, but I will write that up in another post.
Attachments
Aron Deer.jpg
Aron's Deer
Aron Deer.jpg (6.96 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
Friday Morning.jpg
Friday's Take
Friday Morning.jpg (10.15 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
Quoted from my wife while I am tapping on my iPad, "Are you talking about ducks again?"
Me, "Yep".
suicidal_scaup
hunter

Postby suicidal_scaup » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:08 pm

After Aron left, I decided to go look for birds on other bodies of water. Upon further inspection, all small bodies of water were froze and many shallow lakes were locked up as well. I was able to find one lake that had a few birds in the air and the water was open, so I decided to set up a small spread of 10 bluebills and two mallards. I got set up around 2pm and I couldn't even get the boat blind up before the birds were coming in. Many were mergansers, but there were bluebills and ringbills mixed into the flocks. I was able to scratch out two bluebills, one ringbill, and a pretty nice drake hooded merganser. If I was a mounting man, it would go on the wall. Doubletheshovel showed up at the landing about 4:00, which left just under one hour to hunt. Although he was unable to connect, we knew where we were going to hunt the next morning. The beginning of the day started terrible, but the end of the day was great...until I got about a mile from home and the bearings on my trailer exploded and we had to buy a new hub and bearing assembly at 7pm. Thank God for an auto parts store that was open til 9pm.

Friday Afternoon.jpg
Friday Afternoon.jpg (6.08 KiB) Viewed 1131 times

We got to the landing early on Saturday and were excited to see the strong NW winds. We figured it would push birds into the decoys all day. After setting up decoys, we had just enough time to make sausage mcmuffins for breakfast before setting up the blind to shoot some divers. It was dark and snowing at LST so we couldn't see much. We had a flock of rinbills work perfect, but were only able to drop one nice drake. Since the wind was so strong (and we don't have a dog) we needed to take the blind down right away for each kill and get the birds before they blew away. If only Doubletheshovel would pay attention while I was on the retrieve, he would have had a few extra birds a little earlier.

We had shooting all day. The bluebills worked into the spread better than I could have ever imagined. Almost everything we saw came straight in and liked what we had to offer. We had all divers for the morning. A couple mallards gave us a look, but I screwed up and shot too early and they lived to see another day. Finally, the last bird that worked in was this beautiful woody. A bonus for November as far as I am concerned.

Woody.jpg
Woody.jpg (5.52 KiB) Viewed 1131 times

It was a great hunt and we are excited to go out again tomorrow. The day brought a total of 5 bluebill, 2 bufflehead, 1 goldeneye, 3 ringbill, and 1 wood duck. Great times with a good friend. If you are hunting south of Detroit Lakes, be ready cause the birds should be there with all the ice here. Supposed to be cold Sunday night so I hope some of the lakes will stay open to hunt the last weekend next week.

Saturday Total.jpg
Saturday Total.jpg (8.28 KiB) Viewed 1131 times
Me, "Yep".
suicidal_scaup
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:34 pm

Way to go!!! This winter when I have some downtime I'm gonna figure out how to post some pics to share with you guys.
StuStiltman
hunter

Location: kinda between Fergus, DL and lawndale. draw a triangle on a map, I'm in there

Postby recker » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:21 pm

Swamp Gas wrote:A awesome reports boys. I'm stuck here in South Dakota for 2 more days.

Man your living the dream. Canada, South Dakota, etc. I got away to South Dakota for five days which was nice. Having kids hurts the amount of time I can hunt but well worth it.
recker
hunter

Postby goldfish » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:18 am

PROjosh wrote:Maybe we can do a big giant get together on Mille Lacs or one of the other lakes. Sorry if I did not explain that earlier. thanks

If this happens, I have a kayak (as long as the waves aren't too rough) and could get my hands on two more. I don't know how many guns at once you would want shooting, but we could have fun regardless, lol.

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:14 am

Great write ups fellas! I'm happy to see the members here are getting on birds.

PROJosh. You sound like a stand up guy. To bring a fella hunting because you wanted to experience a hunt with someone you met on the Internet, let alone a member on this site is bold to say the least... :hammer: :lol3:

In all seriousness. Nice work to all of you getting on 'em.

It's nice to know "Minnesota Nice" is still in people's hearts.

Keep the stories and pics coming... :thumbsup:
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:07 pm

5 Guys in the woods.
One doe shot
One doe missed due to operator error.
Doe at 30 yards. Click.
Doe walks off to the sound of an empty chamber.
"If you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby Swamp Gas » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:27 pm

Green wings were thick. I've never seen them like the last couple days. I almost prefer them over mallards, almost.

On a long trip one can eat a daily limit with ease. The farts got worse and worse.

Swamp Gas
hunter

Postby Swamp Gas » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:33 pm

Today wasn't quite as fast and furious. Luckily the three of us got 8 out of a flock of green wings and six out of another. Only one dumb mallard.

Swamp Gas
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:15 pm

Duck hunting and smart phones have ruined my patience. I was sitting the stand and shot a doe around 8:00 on saturday morning. I was thinking how nice it would be to get to get a freezer full of meat and in doing so get off this cold deer stand. I dunno. I didn't really feel that good about my decision after I shot her, but once I grill these back straps up I probably won't feel so bad.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:19 pm

MinnesotaDan wrote:Duck hunting and smart phones have ruined my patience. I was sitting the stand and shot a doe around 8:00 on saturday morning. I was thinking how nice it would be to get to get a freezer full of meat and in doing so get off this cold deer stand. I dunno. I didn't really feel that good about my decision after I shot her, but once I grill these back straps up I probably won't feel so bad.

Dude, you can't eat the horns anyways.. Meat is MEAT...Enjoy her! Wish we could take doe's out here...
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:20 pm

Don't feel bad Dan.

Remember you don't eat the horns.

I did the same tonight and I would do the same tomorrow.

"If you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:27 pm

Yah you guys are right, you can't eat horns. I really am happy to have the meat. It was just such and easy shot, and such an easy hunt, I just kinda wish I had to earn it a little more. but had I not shot a deer all weekend I guarantee I'd be saying how nice it would have been if I could have atleast shot a doe.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby Mort » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:40 pm

Don't pass up food man!

Nice shooting!
Mort
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:49 am

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:16 am

Nice shooting. I'd of taken her. :thumbsup:

Gunnysway
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:35 am

Gunnysway wrote:Nice shooting. I'd of taken her. :thumbsup:

Don't lie, you'd of taken her twice if sue was willing.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Gunnysway » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:47 am

:lol:

Guilty... :hammer:

:grooving:

Gunnysway
hunter

Postby goldfish » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:05 am

Hahaha.

I'm heading up to Onamia to go find Bambi, or his Mom, or dad. Whichever walks in front of me first. Apparently for 6 shooters they only got 1 deer last weekend.

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:30 am

Very nice. Good luck to you!

Gunnysway
hunter

MN 2013/2014 Seasons Photos

Postby cn44 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:01 am

ImageImageImageImage

Here are some pictures of this mornings hunt in a plowed corn field. There were 4 of us and we got 8 birds. Could have shot double it easily but the bad shot bug bit us this morning. Watched thousands of ducks fly over for about half hour thinking the were headed to Mexico, then all of a sudden they swung back and started dropping into a picked corn field about 4-500 yards away from our setup. It was quite the sight. The last picture the bird has ice on its head. All the birds we shot were iced up on the heads it was pretty cool.
cn44
hunter

Postby Labs » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:38 am

Shot this morning....divers are here, boys!

"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby Northcoast » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:22 pm

Few goose hunts from the season some tailgate pics but hey it's what I got!! Been out of commission for a bit now had a tooth pulled that had been killing me then that turned into a dry socket seems like it will never end!! another day or two and I will be able to get on the call again!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384226248.377289.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384226332.127068.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384226377.444135.jpg
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384226412.460283.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384226287.526434.jpg
Last edited by Northcoast on Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northcoast
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting