MN 2013/2014 Seasons Photos

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Re: MN 2013/2014 Seasons Photos

Postby beretta24 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:38 pm

Hoping to get something different if I get out to hunt them in Ireland next year. The club releases hundreds and few different phases in the spring.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Woodrow03 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:58 pm

Nice quick hunt tonight with fireman tonight.
"If you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby olt d2 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:07 pm

well done!
olt d2
hunter

Postby goldfish » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:42 pm

Today was one of those days that had all the promise in the world to be the hunt of a lifetime. The cold last night locked up almost everything pretty hard, so the hole that hillbilly and I were going to open up would be so enticing that we would be beating birds away. We break ice the whole way out and get to opening up our hole of destruction.

We opened up a good sized hole, and then hillbilly went back to the landing to pick up his kiddos. One problem with that though. The lake is that shallow that he needs to be moving to not bury the prop in mud. In doing so, you make waves. Waves break up ice. The wind today which would have been awesome, is now filling our hole with ice sheets. Thinking quick, I shove some sticks in the bottom on the up wind side of the hole. Success.
uploadfromtaptalk1384904102578.jpg

We could hear geese early on so we knew there would be birds in the area. Well, that is an understatement. I think we watched at least 300 geese and about the same number of ducks drop into or try to drop into the hole... in the middle of the lake. All we could do was watch. Even trying to kick them up by sending some steel there way didn't faze them. I guess, we did have one bird check out the spread
uploadfromtaptalk1384903788019.jpg

After finally accepting defeat we start to pick up. Hillbilly goes to get the boat around the corner and goes to fire up the motor and it makes about 2 turns of the crank. Uh oh. The next little while is spent trying to get it fired up, even doing the unthinkable. He cut and unwound his duck strap that his lady made for him to try and put it around the flywheel to pull start it.
uploadfromtaptalk1384904004420.jpg

It's a good thing he knows people who will help so that we didn't have to try and push pole the boat back to the landing because at this point the paths that were previously cut across the lake have opened up into decent sized water which would have blown the boat backwards. It was then that hillbilly decided to play tug of war.
uploadfromtaptalk1384903001331.jpg

Safely back to the landing and loaded up, it was quite the adventure. As silly as it may seem, I had fun. Watching all those birds was amazing, even if they were too far away for me to even get a picture. Also, I like breaking ice. Yes, it's work, but I think it's fun making birds do what YOU want them to which is why I'm addicted to duck hunting in the first place. Making where they can land is just another part of that.

I think hillbilly is going to stop hunting with me. Last time we hunted, his trailer bearings went out on the way home. Today his battery was toast and also the water inlet screens (correct name?) on the lower unit broke out. We are hoping the chunks aren't in the impeller or farther in.

Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby goldfish » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:46 pm

I hate tapatalk for pictures. It always uploads them backwards (last picture first, first picture last) and rotates them. Just look at the pictures opposite of the story, and while laying on the couch.

Here are some other pictures from today as well

Sent from a phancy fone
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1384904702023.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1384904680196.jpg
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:23 pm

I was readin the story and lookin at pics goin huh?? But yea not to good of day very high hopes and a lot of work twice..
Attachments
IMG2168.jpg
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:37 pm

That big hole to right wad what I made with 2 TRips and wind did the rest ....
then the strip over the left is the path buddy made comin to get us

Daughter out cold from hard day of watchin ice
Attachments
IMG2171.jpg
IMG2169.jpg
IMG2174.jpg
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:47 pm

Those days are always hit or miss. At least you guys gave it a shot.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Swamp Gas » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:39 pm

Had a couple decent hunts and a couple busts the last 4 days. The end is near unfortunately.

Main problems for me have been finding non-mallards and finding fresh birds. The mallards and honkers have been in our area for a month and stale. They will give one look then land in the middle.

Mojos have been more of a repellant than a decoy. Birds have definitely decoyed better without one. I haven't been fortunate enough to get in on a good field hunt here in MN so I can't say a mojo will help or hurt there. All my field hunts were out of MN.

Here's a couple pics, shocker included.

Swamp Gas
hunter

Postby Swamp Gas » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:45 pm

Even got into a few lesser Canadas yesterday. No shocker allowed when kids are present.

Swamp Gas
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:29 am

Excellent, were they lessers or Hutchins?
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Woodrow03 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:23 pm

"If you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby suicidal_scaup » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:01 pm

Swamp Gas wrote:Had a couple decent hunts and a couple busts the last 4 days. The end is near unfortunately.

Main problems for me have been finding non-mallards and finding fresh birds. The mallards and honkers have been in our area for a month and stale. They will give one look then land in the middle.

Mojos have been more of a repellant than a decoy. Birds have definitely decoyed better without one. I haven't been fortunate enough to get in on a good field hunt here in MN so I can't say a mojo will help or hurt there. All my field hunts were out of MN.

Here's a couple pics, shocker included.

You would think that calling wouldn't work on these birds...since they all have muzzles on them... :wink:
Quoted from my wife while I am tapping on my iPad, "Are you talking about ducks again?"
Me, "Yep".
suicidal_scaup
hunter

Postby Swamp Gas » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:25 pm

The muzzles are just proof that ducks and geese can be taken with 2 3/4" shells. Just like one needs belted magnum calibers to take whitetail.

Yes they are some of the smaller Canada subspecies ( cacklers, Hutchinson, Richardson)
Swamp Gas
hunter

Postby Matt Jones » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:18 pm

Nice pics!
Matt Jones
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:22 pm

so you all know I hate lab tops I had day 1 of my hunt almost all written up with pics and my fat wrist hit sumthing and it backd the page up and and I hit forward and it was all gone DAMIT I HAT THESE THINGS.
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:06 pm

11-5-13

wife.. you hunting today...Yea duh I grab my phone OH crap

we were to meet at landing at 430

Text

431 buddy- were you is?
432 me- Fucj
434 me- Head out ill running behind
436 buddy-Jesus!....hurry up... did I just wake you or how far behind?
436 me- way be jind

well good thing I got all my gear together last night. threw my clothes on and flew to gas station still had to fill truck and boat. well the 20 mile drive to lake took me a lot less then 20 min if you catch my drift. well I hurryd to dump the boat. now ive never ran this lake by myself. its a couple hundred yards of cattail windy channel with big pot holes to get of track in before you get to main lake. im not aloud to look on the way out I get told to keep your head down. and qwick glances on the way back. so I had to wing it. so I trim er all the way down and giver. weaving and winding back and forth between the bogs. I finally make it to the main lake (kinda suprized I did it that well we don't use lights when we drive only our eyes even on moonless nights. I clean my prop and giver again she does about 25mph with just me.. now I know im to take a left at the channel to get were they are but I didn't know I was to take it WIDE. well I cut short and hit a damn rat hut stopd me cold and killd my motor and I was like AH crap. well she startd right back up and I take off and get to open lake and try callin buddy to find out were there at since we never said were we were gona sit. finally he answers and says can you see my light yep head over there. I nose up to his rear end to pick up my passanger. My buddy invited 3 of he friends from Oklahoma to come up and have a MN hunt. That's why i was in mad dash. buddys boat only hunts 3 and mine does 3 also. we introduce our selves to eachother his was travis. and i ask did you draw the short straw yep he said.. we motor over to the spot we were gona sit took a little to get into but hid well and i think i was on a bog because travis had to get outa boat to push us out...Now im not sure how some of you feel about group limits or what the actuall law is on it.... so before i piss anyone off or have green pants look at this I only shot my 6 ducks. we had an awesome shoot. problem with hunting 2 boat is sumtimes is you cannt get back to back and communicate sucks. we had mutipul flocks of mallards workin us and wanting each boat to get good shootin wed hold off and passing great shooting for one boat and then getting not so good shooting with the 2 boats. i can remember each of my 6 ducks i shot...now i know some of you don't like the guys that say i shot that one and that one ect.....but i do because if some one else was shootin at same duck which happens all the time. i ended up shooting the last limit we needed. which was 2 bw hen bb drake red head. and 2 drake mallards. and ive never been on a hunt were we shot a 5 man limit. 3 was the most.

this is my boat between the 2 of us

hillbilly..
hunter

Postby dfrauenkron » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:13 pm

Can't let this slip too far down the page. Guess it's the South Zones turn. Not the piles of green heads I'm used to for this time of year but enough to keep us interested during the cold the last 2 days. Numbers are down but still better then workin. Finally got a few geese to finish. A nice bull can, and a few green heads. And my first rice breast ever, pretty nasty looking. I have Wednesday thru Sunday to hunt and round out the year. Hopes aren't to high with the numbers around but I like the splash them big geese make. Hopefully there is still some open water. ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dfrauenkron
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:52 am

That the worst I've ssen it I also shot 2 ducks this year with it never seen it before hope it ain't becomin more local
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:54 am

That the worst I've ssen it I also shot 2 ducks this year with it never seen it before hope it ain't becomin more local
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:23 am

I have been lucky in that I have never seen that in any of the birds I have shot. What is that caused by?
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:42 am

A virus, its supposedly not harmful if fully cooked.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby dfrauenkron » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:04 am

I have also read that is not harmful if fully cooked, but after seeing it not sure I could eat it. I've seen hundreds of duck breasts and seeing that made my stomach turn. Almost all my fowl is cooked rare, so that wouldn't qualify for fully cooked.
dfrauenkron
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:14 am

I don't think that parasite is capable of infecting humans if I remember reading correctly. I've shot 2 ducks like that before and I haven't kept ate one.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:14 am

dfrauenkron wrote:I have also read that is not harmful if fully cooked, but after seeing it not sure I could eat it. I've seen hundreds of duck breasts and seeing that made my stomach turn. Almost all my fowl is cooked rare, so that wouldn't qualify for fully cooked.

Not to make you feel bad but the virus can be present a while before the symptoms are visible.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
beretta24
State Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting