Season#2

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Season#2

Postby BigJeff » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:34 pm

First season in the books with some good times and some skunks but looking for a better round 2.

Added some gear tuned up the boat blind and now trying to figure out the right decoy spread for opener. For puddle ducks I have 2 dz mallards new last year and another 2 dz+ old flambue water keel mallards that are where used I added a ghg puddler pack 2 pin 2 gad 2 wig. I also have 1dz new blue bills and 2 dz used blue bills. Built a jerk cord and picked up a wind mojo.

Being new I am not sure if should mix divers and puddles in the same spread. Puddlers shallow divers deep if course but do I just leave the divers home for opener and bring all the mallards, jerk And wind mojo.

Or do I bring the divers as part of the set up too?

Also what seems should I use on the jerk cord?
BigJeff
hunter

Re: Season#2

Postby BigJeff » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:54 pm

Forgot just added 8 older can geese too.
BigJeff
hunter

Postby jpdrake » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:40 am

I've been told that mixing them up is a good strategy. Especially adding the higher visibility ducks. I would do some research on individual duck species behavior and group those ducks accordingly - you wouldn't want to make em decoy shy because something is amiss.

Those honkers are good confidence boosters though, and who knows! you could add a couple of them by the end of the day too :smile:

I'd love to hear others experiences with working divers into puddler decoys.
jpdrake
hunter

Postby MN Quack Smoker » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:12 am

If you are hunting in the central or northern part of the state that has some breeding divers then it would be ok to add some divers in there. If you are hunting where there are none then leave at home till the migration. Generally through the rest of the season I mix them up and add goose decoys.....
MN Quack Smoker
hunter

Postby BigJeff » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:32 am

Opener will be east central so I will leave the bills home it think and go mostly mallards and the geese. I can't wait to get out!

So after posting I found some webs sites that list blue bill sightings April and May do you think those where migrating through or possibly breeders that time of year
BigJeff
hunter

Postby suicidal_scaup » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:42 pm

If you decide to throw in some divers, try to use drab colors. Not much is full color now so you don't want the bright white canvasbacks or bluebills in your spread. I am going to throw some ringbills and some faded redheads out for the weekend. I totally agree that up north it makes more sense to put out divers, but two years ago, we shot a bluebill and a ringbill on opener and we hunted a half hour south of St. Cloud.

Last year we saw and shot many redhead and ringbills on opener up here...hoping for more of the same this year. Gonna throw a gang rig and a small line rig out off to the side of our puddler spread and geese off to the other side. Adjustments can always be made in the middle of the hunt...
Quoted from my wife while I am tapping on my iPad, "Are you talking about ducks again?"
Me, "Yep".
suicidal_scaup
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:32 pm

suicidal_scaup wrote:If you decide to throw in some divers, try to use drab colors. Not much is full color now so you don't want the bright white canvasbacks or bluebills in your spread. I am going to throw some ringbills and some faded redheads out for the weekend. I totally agree that up north it makes more sense to put out divers, but two years ago, we shot a bluebill and a ringbill on opener and we hunted a half hour south of St. Cloud.

Last year we saw and shot many redhead and ringbills on opener up here...hoping for more of the same this year. Gonna throw a gang rig and a small line rig out off to the side of our puddler spread and geese off to the other side. Adjustments can always be made in the middle of the hunt...

Scout around in the evenings this week to see what's out there. If I was guessing there might be some ringers in east central but definitely mostly puddlers this time of year.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby MNjonboatguy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:40 am

Beretta and Suicidial Scaup posts are on point, in my book anyways. I pull most of my drake mallards out of the spread for opening weekend and put out teal and wood duck decoys. The lake we're hunting on opener didn't have any divers on it all last week but I might still toss a few of my least colorful ringbills out there. As far as mixing divers into my spread, I will do that but not until November. IMO, ducks loaf/roost with other species more often in the late season when the migration is in full swing.
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby olt d2 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:54 pm

Most of the time my decoy spread for the first couple weeks is a dozen Teal, 6 Gadwalls and six Mallards. two of the mallards are a pair of drakes that I dry brushed the heads with primer gray and a little flat brown dry brushed on the bodies. if woodies are around i'll throw a few in the mix. One of the best Ringbill shoots I ever had up north was over Teal decoys on a opener. About the only time I mix divers and puddlers is later in the year. I'll mix a dozen Widgeons in with my divers because their notorious for thieving feed off the divers, hence the nickname "robbbers ".
olt d2
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting