Blind Grass Question

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

Blind Grass Question

Postby MNjonboatguy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:30 pm

Hi guys-

I'm re-doing the grass mats on my blind tonight, and wanted to add a mesh backing of some kind to it. Previously I have just zip tied the grass mats right to my blind frame, and the grass gets beat up after one season that way.

Does anyone know the best place to buy material to tie onto grass mats to make them mount on a blind frame better? I've seen guys use pheasant netting but that is super expensive. I'll try fleet farm and gander mountain tonight before I get started, but would love to hear what other guys use...
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Re: Blind Grass Question

Postby gpschewe » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:36 pm

E Z Fence At Fleet Farm. 4' X 50' Green In Color

Runs About $22
gpschewe
hunter

Postby Northcoast » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:37 pm

I have had pretty decent luck for the last couple years with cheap green snow fencing but my blind stays up it don't drop down so not sure if that will make a difference!!
Northcoast
hunter

Postby gpschewe » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:45 pm

Hmmmmm... Mine Folds Down And The E Z Fence Seems To Hold It Together Pretty Good. It's More Like A Netting
gpschewe
hunter

Postby fish'n'shoot » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:18 pm

I back mine with the toughest landscaping fabric I can find. Typically grass mats are 4 X 4, but the top part sticks up a bit taller - so I used some great 4 foot tall black and decker fabric. It's a bit of a chore attaching the mats to it (as you have to cut little slits in the fabric) but you can use black zip-ties to secure it. You can even find fabric that is brown or drab green online.

ALSO - the fabric is somewhat wind/water proof (resistant). Something that was a bummer on those early-season goose hunts this year (think sweat lodge), but later in the season it should keep the harsh wind off of 90% of your body.

Spend some time looking for the correct material, if you go cheap, you will end up replacing it again next year.

PM me if you would like some pics.
fish'n'shoot
hunter

Postby chasing the GREEN » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:21 pm

possibly could try the little chicken wire type fencing... idk how it would work but should be cheap.. just an idea to kick around
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby doubletheshovel » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:48 pm

I used minnow seine and then painters cloth as a wind block. It works well and my blind folds down and this works great for the folding aspect. I have to give a big thanks to suicidal_scaup for helping build my blind.
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Postby doubletheshovel » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:53 pm

here are some pics of it before grass was hung and after grass was hung.
Attachments
2012-08-30 19.59.06.jpg
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Postby doubletheshovel » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:04 pm

a little dark but hopefully get it.
Attachments
2012-09-05 20.06.23.jpg
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Postby suicidal_scaup » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:51 pm

On mine I used GI netting from army surplus. It was a little expensive, so like doubletheshovel said a minnow seine works great. About $12 for a 12 ft net...it has holes in it to zip tie to...and it has built in weights in the bottom so the wind is less likely to lift it up. Seems to be a good fit.

Also, the painters cloth is inside the netting and retains the heat on those late season cold hunts. I spray paint the inside of the cloth to break up the solid tan color. I have also installed grommets on the painters cloth so attaching the netting and grass is easier and so the cloth is less likely to tear.
Quoted from my wife while I am tapping on my iPad, "Are you talking about ducks again?"
Me, "Yep".
suicidal_scaup
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:05 pm

Ebay poultry net.... can't remeber seller but get 80lb min. I have 40 and is plenty strong wont rot but feel its not as durable. I paid 16 bucks for a 10x20 piece and attached it to canvas.
uploadfromtaptalk1379466334946.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1379466312764.jpg
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:18 pm

Thanks for the replies.
I picked up the green fencing stuff from fleet farm $21.99.
Ill definitely have to paint it but its workin good.
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:23 pm

doubletheshovel wrote:here are some pics of it before grass was hung and after grass was hung.

Looks nice man. I have the cabelas northern flight frame, same thing as yours basically. Its heavy but it works good. I just hope I get more than one season out of this this years brushing.
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby jpdrake » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:38 pm

So if you grass your boat blind before you go out, how much brushing in do you do once you get into your spot? Or do you exclusively hunt grassy spots in your boat?
jpdrake
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:55 am

jpdrake wrote:So if you grass your boat blind before you go out, how much brushing in do you do once you get into your spot? Or do you exclusively hunt grassy spots in your boat?

JP- It all depends on where I'm hunting. Early season when the reeds are more green, I try to bury the boat into cover and then use lots of natural cover to drape over the top of the blind and weave into it. Later in the season when my grass mats blend in better I can sit on the water side of the brush line and fool em'.
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:59 am

MNjonboatguy wrote:Thanks for the replies.
I picked up the green fencing stuff from fleet farm $21.99.
Ill definitely have to paint it but its workin good.

That stuff is horrible when it is cold, HORRIBLE if you have to roll or unroll it... Keeps a Memory bad... I tried it last year!
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting