Firearm safety certification

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Firearm safety certification

Postby suicidal_scaup » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:14 pm

So I have a buddy that is planning to come up for duck opener to hunt with us. He has hunted before and was able to get free licenses as he was active in the military. Now, he is two years removed from active duty and went to get his license and stamps today for the weekend. He found out that since he does not have his firearm safety certificate he is now unble to buy a sportsman's license.

This to me seems odd. In my opinion, being active duty n the military is kind of the ultimate form of firearm safety. Maybe I am missing something, but it seems strange that he was able to get one while he was active duty but can no longer get one. What are people's opinions on this? He is hoping to be able to complete an online course and print off the form from the Internet and the DNR will then be blue to provide the proper certification.

I am not the most educated on this topic. Maybe someone has some insight for me. Hopefully he can get it figured out before Friday night.
Quoted from my wife while I am tapping on my iPad, "Are you talking about ducks again?"
Me, "Yep".
suicidal_scaup
hunter

Re: Firearm safety certification

Postby chasing the GREEN » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:36 pm

Online way is his best bet. And in reality he was hunting illegally before if he didn't have his gun safety. Even with being in your 2 year window you must buy a Federal Stamp. The 2 year window applies to only State not Fed. Only reason I know that for sure is that I am in the last year of my 2 year window and am actually trying to get my buddy through the exact same situation. Just a heads up, my buddy said the online course takes a LONG time, he said he has 4 hours in and is only maybe half way through.

I agree I think the need for Military to have gun safety seems a bit overkill but what can ya do.
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby suicidal_scaup » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:55 pm

I am not sure but I think he got his federal stamp. He made sure to call the DNR to be completely legal while he was active and did everything they told him.

Like I said before, I am not completely informed on the situation and am looking for some insight from other people. It's good to know that the online course takes a while...
Quoted from my wife while I am tapping on my iPad, "Are you talking about ducks again?"
Me, "Yep".
suicidal_scaup
hunter

Postby MinneKans » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:10 pm

He can use his driver's license number as his hunter safety certificate number. I completed hunter safety 25 years ago and they gave me a hunter safety number. Of course I lost it so DNR told me to use my drivers license number.
MinneKans
hunter

Postby Mort » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:34 pm

Hey guys, I've been a firearm safety instructor for 7 years now and I can help out a little bit. I don't know much about the military end. Sorry.

The NEW online course is very long. But very good. I've taken it for fun a few years ago and learned a few things that slip your mind over the years. I'm sure your buddy will be tired of it at the end but find the test rewarding. Then he will have to take a field day test also. There is places and dates online at Huntersafety.com. There should be a link for MN. Info somewhere. Sorry I haven't been on the site since April.

We had a hunter safety field day in Windom, MN on Aug.31. and there were adults, kids, males, females from all over the place. People will travel to get that certificate!

I'm not sure if he will be able to hunt with out going to a field day. Sucks
Mort
hunter

Postby goldfish » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:25 am

The DNR allows you to get an "apprentice" license for a year or two where you can try hunting without getting a firearms safety certificate. Only restriction is you have to hunt with a certificate weilding individual or someone who doesn't need it. It'll at least get him out there legally till he can take the course.

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby walter » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:30 am

Gotta love Minnesota the land of "10,000" laws!
"If you ain't first, you're last!" Ricky Bobby
walter
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:01 am

If your buddy wants to go on opener, he can just get the apprentice hunter certification. It's $2 and he will need all of his other licenses like anyone else. The last couple kids I've taken on youth day haven't had their firearm safety certificates so we've just bought them the apprentice thing and it's worked out well (and HIP certification, a crabby CO will nail you for that if you forget)

I totally agree with the military thing, if the DOD trusts you to protect our country with firearms you should be able to go whack some birds with firearms.

And just to double check one obvious thing.....this guy was born AFTER 1979, correct? If not, he doesn't need a firearm safety.
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby suicidal_scaup » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:35 pm

Yes. He was born after 1979. I talked to him about the apprentice license and he said he has used them. I was unfamiliar with the whole process and what type of license he has gotten in the past, so I never paid much attention to it. He has done his homework and has called the DNR to explore all of his options. It sounds like his only option is the online class, but he said that he does not have to do the field day. The DNR officer he talked to said that he would be exempt from having to do that (I am not exactly sure why).

I hope he gets it done before the weekend, but I am not counting on it. He just graduated from college and is on a job hunt, meaning he doesn't have a job, so he should take the time this week and rifle it out. Otherwise, I might have an open spot in the boat now...and with only two people, I hope we see more than just woodies!

Thanks to all of you for your input. I appreciate it.
Me, "Yep".
suicidal_scaup
hunter

Postby RedneckDuckCommander » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:40 am

The dnr is probably exempting him from the field day because of his service. you can only use the hunter apprentice licenses twice. after that you have to have firearm safety no matter what. as for your drivers license number as your firearm safety number yes it is done that way but if you are like me and went through firearm safety and had a drivers license before the state changed how they they issue drivers license numbers then his firearm safety and drivers license numbers will be different.
RedneckDuckCommander
hunter

Postby suicidal_scaup » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:05 pm

Just found out he got it done today. He ended up doing a virtual field day online just to be sure he got it all taken care of. I'm glad he finished it. I know there will be many more laughs with him in the blind...he's THAT guy! Good times.
Me, "Yep".
suicidal_scaup
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:27 pm

4 hours that's nutts wife did hers couple years ago I helpd her. And it didn't take knw were that long. I told her always make safteys on so you dnt shoot me in back. Treat every gun as loaded. And make sure you knw wants past your target and make sure you have correct ammo for gun..but leave it to dnr to make even wiping your butt complicated.
hillbilly..
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting