Mojo's vs. jerk rigs

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Mojo's vs. jerk rigs

Postby Emptyskies » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:16 pm

Hey everyone. new to the site and was just wondering what every ones opinion is on mojo's versus jerk rigs in general, I know the spot you are hunting has allot to do with what will work better. But just curious to hear what every one else thinks?
Emptyskies
Newb

Re: Mojo's vs. jerk rigs

Postby MNjonboatguy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:29 pm

I'm a big fan of both. Mojos can really bring the ducks in sometimes, but they get wise to them later in the year. I use my jerk rig anytime that I'm hunting calm water. I would really like to get a remote system for my mojos, but haven't found a good deal on them yet. I've rarely had geese come into range with a mojo spinnin.... so if I am hunting a spot with a decent chance at geese I don't bother puttin out any mojos.

Welcome to the forum & good luck this weekend!
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby chasing the GREEN » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:39 pm

I personally am loosing faith in mojos when on water. I know there are absolutely times where they are killer but overall my success has dropped with them compared to what they used to do. I think a flag with light underside as opposed to the black of a goose flag might almost be better. I feel like the grab attention from a distance but aren't as effective at finishing as in years past. idk though that's just my opinion. im no expert, if I was id be making money off hunting!
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:03 pm

chasing the GREEN wrote:I personally am loosing faith in mojos when on water. I know there are absolutely times where they are killer but overall my success has dropped with them compared to what they used to do. I think a flag with light underside as opposed to the black of a goose flag might almost be better. I feel like the grab attention from a distance but aren't as effective at finishing as in years past. idk though that's just my opinion. im no expert, if I was id be making money off hunting!

I definitely know what you are saying about getting birds' attention but not having them finish into the mojo. This is another reason I want to get remotes for mine, that way you can turn them off once you have birds headed to your spread or if there are geese flying. My friend has a couple with timers and those seem to work better than the constant spinning like mine.
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby Chewy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:16 pm

As with MNjonboatguy I like them both but have found myself using the jerk string a little more. The Mojo can be awesome but have seen it down south many of times scare more birds than anything. They will come in from a distance then flare at about 60-70 yards. Guess thats what happens when they have seen the same thing for a couple of months!!! I have moved from a decoy spread with a mojo in it and set up with just a jerk string about 200 yards away and watched those flared birds come right to me!!
Chewy
hunter

Postby Swamp Gas » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:17 pm

I use both. If it's a spot that ducks have been using regularly i will stay away from the mojo. If I need to pull them in the mojo along with a jerk.
Swamp Gas
hunter

Postby suicidal_scaup » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:45 pm

I strongly favor the floating mojo. I have had many days it worked, and many days it made birds flare. Like many have said, sunny days seem to be better for the spinning wing. Cloudy days worse. I like the floating mojo as it gives a little more action in the water...?

I have decided I am going to bring the stuff with to make a jerk rig while in the blind on opener and hopefully make it during that mid morning lull that I typically get. Not supposed to be too windy, so hopefully by 10:00am I have it done and can test it out.
Quoted from my wife while I am tapping on my iPad, "Are you talking about ducks again?"
Me, "Yep".
suicidal_scaup
hunter

Postby doubletheshovel » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:06 pm

I had mixed success with the floating mojo last season but it was my first season with one of my own and had some good success hunting over suicidal_scaup's floater. I bought a remote and tried turning it off and on and at times it did the trick. Earlier in the year it worked well pulling in a flock of redheads during a mid afternoon hunt. I am going to try more on and off this year I think and see what happens but I think we can all agree any motion helps to atleast turn them your way.
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting