Sherburne nat'l wildlife refuge

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Sherburne nat'l wildlife refuge

Postby brianm257 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:21 am

Anyone have any info on duck hunting this area? I assume it's got plenty of hunters on the weekends, but what about during the week? I'm new to the metro area (moved here from up north) I'll still hunt up north when I can but looking at some place to go thats close by.
brianm257
hunter

Re: Sherburne nat'l wildlife refuge

Postby iFAIL » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:40 am

you should try calling the sheriff's department and asking them if it's ok or try the DNR. That's the only ways I heard it works. I myself found a sweet spot that i have to call about the sheriff about also. Better safe then sorry.
That horrible duck call, it was I!
iFAIL
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:56 am

Some of Sherburne NWR is open but a lot of it is closed. The best spots are always closed to hunting it seems but there can be a good amount if birds in the area sometimes.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby Feathers » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:01 am

iFAIL wrote:you should try calling the sheriff's department and asking them if it's ok or try the DNR. That's the only ways I heard it works. I myself found a sweet spot that i have to call about the sheriff about also. Better safe then sorry.

Better hope your Sheriff isn't a duck hunter or have any friends that are.

Almost all refuges in MN have interactive maps on the DNR site that show you the borders that are open or closed to hunting. Do some research.
Feathers
hunter

Postby brianm257 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:01 am

I know which areas that are open for waterfowl hunting and which ones are closed. I was looking for experience hunting the area. And I would have to agree with mn dan that it appears the best areas are closed and they have plenty of additional rules to follow! I swear, I think the federal game and fish are anti-hunting...it seems as though they try to make it as hard as they can for people to hunt! Ironically, they say it's our land and although it does belong to the tax payer it sure doesn't seem like it's anywhere close to our land.
Last edited by brianm257 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
brianm257
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:34 am

I've never hunted the refuge so I'm really not much help, but growing up in the area I can tell you right now that I'm sure it gets probably pretty hectic on weekends, until the weather turns nasty or until after deer opener. Weekdays and weeknights you may be able find some solitude tho.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby Full Force Five » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:11 am

I hunted it a ton back in the early 90's, it was awesome hunting honestly. Im sure thats really different now and things have changed. During the week, afternoons etc. it wasn't too bad. Opener is a zoo.
I knew this would happen.
Full Force Five
hunter

Postby Feathers » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:57 am

I think we should get rid of refuges. Ducks don't need anywhere to rest. I'm sure the refuges would still hold birds even if it got pounded by hunters. While we're at it we should open up city limits to hunting. Those darn cities try to make it tough for us hunters to kill birds. If I could hunt refuges and city limits I could be on ducks all year. Lol

The birds are in the refuge for a reason just like they are in city limits for a reason. If you took all the land you can hunt there and switched it with the refuge land all the birds would be on the other side of the line after a couple days. Common sense guys. Refuges are your friend.
Feathers
hunter

Postby goldfish » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:02 pm

Did you just argue with yourself?

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby brianm257 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:21 pm

Feathers, I think your missing the point! I'm not anti-refuge! I just think the areas that are open could be a little more accessible thats all. Youre only allowed to put a boat or canoe in the water at designated entry points....most of which are portage access that is not really practical with 14 ft canoe +gear because they're too far to carry in to(by myself that is)...that's not asking too much to have a little better access is it. And yes, I do think the better areas of the refuge are closed to waterfowl hunting...more of an observation than a complaint.
brianm257
hunter

Postby brianm257 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:24 pm

goldfish wrote:Did you just argue with yourself?

sent from a phancy fone

ha ha...I was thinking the same thing!
brianm257
hunter

Postby beckman101 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:28 pm

Gets hit really hard on the weekend, if i where you i would look somewhere else. IMO
beckman101
Newb

Postby Feathers » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:19 pm

goldfish wrote:Did you just argue with yourself?

You didn't get many gold stars when you were a kid did you?
Feathers
hunter

Postby goldfish » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:42 pm

I was in honors classes up thru junior high. High school... not so much :grin:

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby Chewy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:52 am

brianm257 wrote:Feathers, I think your missing the point! I'm not anti-refuge! I just think the areas that are open could be a little more accessible thats all. Youre only allowed to put a boat or canoe in the water at designated entry points....most of which are portage access that is not really practical with 14 ft canoe +gear because they're too far to carry in to(by myself that is)...that's not asking too much to have a little better access is it. And yes, I do think the better areas of the refuge are closed to waterfowl hunting...more of an observation than a complaint.

Try stopping by the office and talking with the manager about hunting access.......may be all they need to hear is the hunters opinion. If enough folks ask for the same thing there is a good chance it will be looked at. The refuge system is a hunters friend and part of the purpose of them is for hunting opportunities for the public! :beer:
Chewy
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting