opening day predictions

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

opening day predictions

Postby StuStiltman » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:27 pm

Ok, its getting close. Let's hear everyone's predictions for there success on opening day. I'm hunting a private slough with 2 other guys. My prediction is 3 geese, 3 blue wings, 2 woodys, 3 mallards and 1 redhead. I'm basing that on a blind guess. Everyone else post up your prediction, than post up Sunday night on how you actually did, honor system rules apply. good luck everyone!!!
StuStiltman
hunter

Re: opening day predictions

Postby goldfish » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:45 pm

My opener is Sunday. I'm guessing 3 blue wingers, a wood duck, and a mallard. Possibly a goose or 2.

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby MinneKans » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:07 pm

Woodys, teal and a hangover.
MinneKans
hunter

Postby goldfish » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:21 pm

Glad you threw that teal in that description, lol

sent from a phancy fone

goldfish
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:58 pm

MinneKans wrote:Woodys, teal and a hangover.

Same for me, except I'm gonna try to miss the hangover. gettin too old for that.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:46 am

Just a good time with someone who rarely chased ducks and geese back in the 70 & 80's on
A whim while hunting for pheasants.

Getting a few birds will be a bonus for us.

Good luck everyone
"If you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby Ducks22 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:38 am

Saturday - 20-25 teal, mallards, woodies, and pintail to fill in the rest. - Done and beer in hand by 9:30
Sunday - always a crap shoot to try and find birds that haven't been too beat up, total of 20 for the group with a nice mix.

High expectations but seeing the number of ducks we've seen during early goose it should be a great shoot tomorrow morning.
Be safe and shoot straight!
Ducks22
hunter

Postby MitchMN » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:54 am

I predict woodies, a mallard or two, teal, if they are still around and a goose if we are lucky. Then beer and cards by the fire!
Where are all the ducks at?
MitchMN
hunter

Postby iFAIL » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:55 am

I'm going to be more realistic on my group since we have 2 waterfowl rookies and i love to have rookies shoot first and if they miss, we can then make fun of them. Thats just the way we always done things. Let the rookie take the first shot. Group of 5, I said 4 woody, 3 teal. Just hope the numbers a little better this time tomorrow.
That horrible duck call, it was I!
iFAIL
hunter

Postby Labs » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:28 am

I'm guessing we will see teal, mallards, and some woodies...taking a youth hunter along, so we will see how he shoots....=)
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby Feathers » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:40 am

Predictions:

-My buddies dog will get so excited that it is duck opener his lipstick will be flopping around wildly in the tall grass.
-Some knuckleheads will skybomb birds that are working our spread.
-We'll scout all the big marshes this afternoon only to hide away in a small spot Saturday to avoid as many of the skybusting, flute and kazoo blowing tards that are so prevelant opening morning.
-We'll have enough shooting to get the skills honed in for our trip to ND the following weekend.
-If we are lucky we will get to watch a guy call in a cormarant with a goose flute and dump it.
-If we can continue even more luck we will have a group of snows pay us a visit again.

Happy opener everyone! Be safe and don't be that guy.
Feathers
hunter

Postby Labs » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:41 am

Feathers wrote:Predictions:

-My buddies dog will get so excited that it is duck opener his lipstick will be flopping around wildly in the tall grass.
-Some knuckleheads will skybomb birds that are working our spread.
-We'll scout all the big marshes this afternoon only to hide away in a small spot Saturday to avoid as many of the skybusting, flute and kazoo blowing tards that are so prevelant opening morning.
-We'll have enough shooting to get the skills honed in for our trip to ND the following weekend.
-If we are lucky we will get to watch a guy call in a cormarant with a goose flute and dump it.
-If we can continue even more luck we will have a group of snows pay us a visit again.

Happy opener everyone! Be safe and don't be that guy.

Awesome!...I will be staying away from Pelican too.... :yes:
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby gatorsnagger » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:05 am

Teal will be out in force. My buddies who hunt Louisiana teal season say they haven't seen any significant number of teal yet which means the migration stalled out somewhere. Had 4 teal buzz the top of my house Wednesday morning as I was getting ready for work.
gatorsnagger
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:47 am

Prediction for me and my buddy in my boat.....we fold 6 wood ducks before 7am, and then pray for teal or mallards to present themselves obviously after that. It'd be really nice to have our first volley be on some teal or mallard because the lake we're on is 70% wood ducks right now and I'm pretty sure we'll get our six quickly.
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby girard » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:00 am

Well for me it will be sh*t show, i am in a new place I've never hunted before and have only a couple options I've checked out in the last couple days. I have a wedding Saturday at 4 that i have to be back for and help set up, so hopefully stay out till at least 9-10 but if not it will be nice to get out. I hope to shoot at least 3 birds with a few misses I'm sure i will enjoy the day.
girard
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:08 am

Ended up with 5 blue wings, 4 mallard and 1 goose, Sunday was slower.
StuStiltman
hunter

Postby goldfish » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:24 pm

goldfish wrote:My opener is Sunday. I'm guessing 3 blue wingers, a wood duck, and a mallard. Possibly a goose or 2.

sent from a phancy fone

Should have had 4 blue wingers Sunday, a couple ringers Monday, and a couple mallards and a Woodie on top of the green wings we actually collected. Predictions were close, but the aiming wasn't :oops:

sent from a phancy fone

goldfish
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting