Muddy potholes

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Muddy potholes

Postby jpdrake » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:12 pm

So, I have found a handful of small mud ponds, emphasis on the mud. They are really sloughs, and it has been pretty dry so the water level is really low.

Being relatively new at this, I'm wondering what people's experience has taught them: How little is too little for ducks to refuge in water holes? There is a mud bank the whole way around, and there isn't any reeds that line the edges. Pretty exposed.

Thoughts? Worth hunting it, or should I wait until we get more rain?

Thanks for the input!
jpdrake
hunter

Re: Muddy potholes

Postby chasing the GREEN » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:48 pm

Scout it, watch for birds. if they seem to work it, then go for it. depending on how the mud is, a layout blind would probably be your best friend. throw some floaters and some fullbodys out and if they are around and have used it before, you could have a heck of a shoot. if there aren't birds in the area or they never go to it, you may bust. scouting for me has always been the key. find the X
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby jpdrake » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:44 pm

Good call on the layout blind. So two novice questions then: when you scout a spot, do you scout during the time you want to hunt, afternoon, all day, etc? Second, I am taking these spots by foot and it's on public land. Between two decoy bags, layout, blind bag + etc, what is the best way to get that gear in without making multiple trips? I guess I really need to find someone to come with me! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
jpdrake
hunter

Postby goldfish » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:10 pm

I've got two arms, two legs, and a layout, lol.

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby jpdrake » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:40 pm

Well, if your interested in a possible bust let me know. I haven't seen many ducks (some geese) over the spot. I could use those two arms an two legs though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
jpdrake
hunter

Postby chrisss » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:49 pm

I would just use a deer cart if the walk way is kinda flat
chrisss
hunter

Postby jpdrake » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:49 am

I've thought about using a cart. Seems cumbersome, but that's probably what I'll need to do.
jpdrake
hunter

Postby Chewy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:07 pm

I would scout whenever you can. When you say mud is it just the shoreline and bottom that is muddy or is the water also muddy? I tend to look at water clarity, vegetation, and invertebrates that are around when I'm scouting. Of course you can skip all that if there are a pile of ducks in there but it has worked for me when scouting various times of the day. With that said clear water with lots of aquatic veg is better than muddy water with no veg. As far as taking stuff into the spot, take as little as you can get by with. Leave one bag of decoys at the house and try and use natural cover to reduce blind material. A dozen decoys, jerk string, a box or maybe two of shells, and being still will get you a long way!!
Chewy
hunter

Postby jpdrake » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:26 am

Thanks Chewy. That's sounds like a good plan. I could definitely carry that load. hopefully sometime early next week I can scout again and set up some AM.

Happy hunting!
jpdrake
hunter

Postby girard » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:29 pm

You been out anywhere else? I'm thinking about going out tomorrow.
girard
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting