decoy spreads on small ponds

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

decoy spreads on small ponds

Postby steamduck » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:17 pm

I am hunting a small pond about 75 yards by 30 yards and i wonder lots of decoys or just a few? If there were a bunch of decoys would it look like the spot all the ducks want to be? Or will that look funny? Lots of presser on lakes around me. So what dose every one think less is more or pack it almost full and look like a duck party!!!
steamduck
hunter

Re: decoy spreads on small ponds

Postby kms399 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:46 pm

less is more. just enough to get them to your edge of the pond.
another one bites the dust
kms399
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:46 am

75 by 30 isn't that small. 1-3 doz would probably work out okay. Atleast in my mind that seems like it would work, if I actually saw the dimensions I could say otherwise.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby steamduck » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:20 am

I hunted it opening morn with 7 Mallard decoys and 5 Wood Duck decoys. Had some woodies land just after legal shooting light and after that much wanted in. So i dont know what to do!
steamduck
hunter

Postby goldfish » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:14 pm

Did you see other birds, they just didn't commit, or just didn't see birds?

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby steamduck » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:12 pm

We did not see as much on Sunday as we Sat morning. Early in the morn be for good shooting light had some woodies land in decoys but as soon as sun was up no more would work in. Same on Sunday morning. After 8:30 no duck would work in. I am in a good blind on the edge of pond brushed in and trees behind us.
steamduck
hunter

Postby chasing the GREEN » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:55 am

sunday we hunted a much smaller pond than the small lake we were on sat. we used 4 wood duck decoys then kinda paired off a dozen mallards and just put them a foot or two off the edge of the reeds. didn't leave a real "pocket" though we were in the corner of the pond so the line made kind of a curved shape. they decoyed way better than sat for us. didn't call much, just a few quacks to get their attention. teal loved us there. had a few mallards lock up from sky high and bomb in after just a few quiet quacks. if its small enough I could see almost filling it, and leaving the opening in the area you want them, but that's a lot of decoys and is also dependednt on what you see in the area. if its common to find a honey hole that's stacked then that might work. if you haven't ever seen that in your area, might look weird.. idk those are just my thoughts
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby steamduck » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:51 am

Last year we shot BWT on opener and most of the season did not a one this weekend? ?!
steamduck
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting