2013 migration report.

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

Re: 2013 migration report.

Postby Feathers » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:10 pm

DuckManClyde wrote:Ive been watching the DU website like a hawk, ive been hearing about how the big migration hasnt REALLY started yet. Shouldnt these below freezing temps and snow get the process going? cause its been crazy slow these last couple weekends.

There are boatloads of ducks in MN right now. The last two weeks have been great and this weekend will be even better. You need to change your scouting tactics. This is the week to hunt. Go get em!
Feathers
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:18 pm

I can tell you we don't have nearly the numbers of geese in the north east metro as we did last year at this time.
Its been a strange year.
"If you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby mauserfan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:38 am

Feathers....I hunt Northern Minnesota and I do not agree with your statement. Mallards are mostly gone and very few divers are around. Please clarify the general area of the state that you are referring to so this info is at least fairly accurate. Thank you
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby MinneKans » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:20 am

Bemidji area has birds. Just got a report bills are working our lake and mallards on the Mighty Mississippi. I'm heading up to duck, not buck this weekend. Aint over yet in the north zone but she's getting close.
MinneKans
hunter

Postby Feathers » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:20 am

NE MN is about as specific as I will get. The last two weekends have been great and I took a look at some water this week and it was loaded. I know folks hunting some of the big water in N MN and have been doing great on divers. Haven't heard of any stellar reports on Mallards yet. Most of Canada is frozen and ND is starting to freeze. This is the week to be out IMO. If you aren't finding ducks you should put in more time scouting. Small water is freezing. Find the stuff open and let em have it.

Sorry if this wasn't specific enough for your internet scouting attempts. :wink:
Feathers
hunter

Postby mauserfan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:38 am

Feathers- Not scouting via internet. All I can say is that I hunted the Miss. last night and previous days were on lotw-Ontario
and birds were few. Orr has been flat as well with exception of Nett, which was freezing up last week from what I was told. Don't know anything about NE Mn but sounds like you are in Nirvana over there.....mauser
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby goldfish » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:16 am

I've honestly seen a lot of birds the last week, from all over the state. Metro, SE along the Miss, central. All told I'm sure there were at least 300 birds that flew north over my house last night going towards the Minnesota river

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby BurnettGunner » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:24 pm

The big push of divers and mallards is on in the central area of the state. Seeing cans, goldens, ringbill and redheads all along cloquet river. Big mallard flocks over some lakes farther into the state.
BurnettGunner
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:00 pm

Hunted this morning bout 20 miles west of Morris. Was kinda slow in the morning didn't see a whole lot but driving around we did see good numbers of birds on the water and in fields. Lots of divers, mallards, and some green winged-teal in the mix as well. Thinking a strong south wind a calm clear night before may have something to do with the lack of movement.

The last half hour of light we did see several ducknados in groups bigger than sizes normally seen in MN so that was kinda cool.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:38 pm

So without the ability to go scouting, would i have better luck hitting up the biggest body of water i can find?, or the small lake my buddy said had a nice amount of mallards and gwt this past wed? Everyone is saying that big bodies are were you want to be this weekend. What do i choose?!
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:34 pm

Welp, appears to be the end game up here. Saw a several thousand geese the middle of the afternoon and headed straight south when I was trying to shoot another deer. Flock after flock just headed straight south, I wonder how much longer I have to field hunt up here. Probably would have been a good day to sit in a cornfield even with the miserable weather instead of being miserable out deer hunting watching geese but whatever it was still fun.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby xrated » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:17 am

Middle of the swamp in the middle of the state.

Open water on the main bays of two lakes. Glassing didn't show many rafts Saturday morning.

Hunted after some geese Saturday night, one flock of 20 mallards worked the geese blocks. One lone bluebill and I dropped one hooded(damn hen). Didn't hear much flying in the rain and heard hardly any shooting. Geese stayed gone until it was beer time at the landing. Tried to sneak on them Sunday morning but they spooked at 100 yards and never came back. Reports from the other lake said good numbers but no flying...I am skeptical as I glass the lake and saw nothing and saw only a few medium sized rafts yesterday. Heard no shooting other than one volley and a few rifles.

Smaller lake most likely will turn hard this week and all but the bigger/deeper spots on the bigger lake.

Time to scout out a few potential holes down here in SE this week and hopefully find a empty seat on the river as well.
Run What Ya Brung
xrated
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:59 pm

im with feathers last week was the week to hunt....
I shot everything from bluewing teal to canvasbacks and seen 2 goldeneyes
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby doubletheshovel » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:36 pm

Well last weekend was the worst weekend out so far for me. I broke ice friday night at the landing after work so that saturday morning could get out and set up with out a lot of extra work in the morning. Well I guess someone had the idea of having to break ice in the morning cuz I got beat. So went and set up about 200 yards down the reed point from them hoping it would be good since we would work birds up the reed line. Well a third group showed up 45 mins before shooting and set up 50 yards from us and then called at the few mallards that were working our spread which no one got to shoot at. Had a drake buffy buzz us but didnt get a shot. So we got skunked Saturday and went scouting found some birds and had a game plan for Sunday. Well got to landing around time had planned but got beat which was ok (big lake lots of spots) so went and set up not the best spot but ok and we got to shoot first and had a few birds commit. We only got a hen buff and lost a drake goldeneye. So not sure what to do for this weekend gotta scout and hope the water stays open.
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Postby kms399 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:21 pm

just got back from an evening hunt a couple hours ago. went with high hopes with this weather moving in but it was really really slow. shot a gw teal and a ringbill. couple flocks of geese interested but wouldn't finish. only a couple flocks heading to the lake as we left after shooting time ended. talked with two guys at the launch neither even shot so I guess I shouldn't complain.
another one bites the dust
kms399
hunter

Postby goldfish » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:49 pm

Tried a local hunt to see if the weather moved some birds in. Saw 2 flocks get crap at by other guys, that's it. The geese are local considering they came back to water a half hour after sunset

Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby mauserfan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:08 am

Guys-I am sorry to dredge this old thread up but I need your help. At the end of the season, there were a number of you stating that there were boat loads of ducks and we were "covered" with them. What type of numbers of birds constitutes this ? Thanks for your help in trying to learn this whole duck hunting thing....mauser :wink:
mauserfan
hunter

Postby Feathers » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:51 pm

mauserfan wrote: What type of numbers of birds constitutes this ? Thanks for your help in trying to learn this whole duck hunting thing....mauser :wink:

Enough to shoot limits most days. Numbers doesn't mean much without knowing what size of water we are talking. 1000 ducks on lotw isnt much but on a 50 acre slough it is.

I think you know a few things about 'this whole duck hunting thing'. So what is the point of your post? Butt hurt about the season?
Feathers
hunter

Postby mauserfan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:46 pm

Butt hurt? Definitely. Am not a "limit" hunter but like to hunt feathered birds instead. Things are ever changing and just trying to figure it out. ....mauser
mauserfan
hunter

Postby Feathers » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:36 pm

mauserfan wrote:Am not a "limit" hunter but like to hunt feathered birds instead.

Me neither.

mauserfan wrote:Things are ever changing and just trying to figure it out.

So you want specific numbers? If I had to guess the lake I was hunting the most towards the end of the season had anywhere from 171-2461 birds on it depending on the day we hunted or scouted it. Again it means nothing without knowing the body of water which no one is going to post on here.

Find food find birds. It changes every year. Just gotta put on the miles and time, you must know that. Lots of times I feel there is no birds in the state then I find the motherload. Maybe you need to start looking in areas that aren't so popular, the Miss, Nett and LOTW are pretty well known.

I am failing to see the point of your post. Are you trying to point out that we weren't "covered up" or that lakes weren't "loaded". If you are being sincere I apologize. It just came across as a pot stir post to me.
Feathers
hunter

Postby mauserfan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:46 pm

Apology accepted, I can see this is pointless. Wow. ....mauser
mauserfan
hunter

Postby Feathers » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:34 am

Maybe tell us what you were trying to ask or where you were going with your initial question and we can try to help.
Feathers
hunter

Postby Ducks22 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:18 pm

mauserfan wrote:Guys-I am sorry to dredge this old thread up but I need your help. At the end of the season, there were a number of you stating that there were boat loads of ducks and we were "covered" with them. What type of numbers of birds constitutes this ? Thanks for your help in trying to learn this whole duck hunting thing....mauser :wink:

Wow I really hope the previous responses are not what this site is coming too, the man asked a simple question. I'll give a resonable shot at it.

I know where I hunted there were not "BOAT" loads of ducks but we had good huntable numbers. We could go out and know that as long as we did what we needed to, we would shoot or have the opportunity to shoot ducks. The last weekend of November I would estimate we have 1500-2000 mallards in the field we were hunting. We shot 2 days of limits out of the same field. The last day of the season we hunted a little back water and saw ducks consistantly throughout the morning. Not sure how many were on the river but it was a fair amount.

I know the the southern 1/4 of the state right now has huntable numbers of mallards and geese. Yes the lakes are froze but they do not have the snow in teh fields right now. There are pockets of birds scattered around that made for some great late season hunting.
Ducks22
hunter

Postby mauserfan » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:51 pm

Thanks Ducks22. I was hoping for more of a synopsis of the northern 1/3 of the state. I certainly appreciate your response. Agreed, there are some real tools that are on these sites that don't quite understand all that they know. With that said, I see no need to waste any time trying to further this. I'd much rather spend it in the bush. Happy new year and be safe....mauser
mauserfan
hunter

Previous

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting