Dogs above water

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

Dogs above water

Postby mutthunt » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:46 am

Hey all,

I have a couple seasons of field hunting birds under my belt, but this is the first season I've done walk-in water shooting. I'm wondering how you guys keep your dog dry-ish/warm-ish/above water when you hunt cattail marsh/sloughs etc.

My mutt has a vest and a thick fur coat, but cold weather is on its way. Some of the WPAs/WMAs have a 1/4 or more mile hike in through thick marsh, and I'm not sure if I can tote along a dog stand with my decoys/gun/bag/etc. I usually hunt solo so that hinders a bit.

So far this season she's been able to find a bit of ground to sit on, but I'm not sure if that will always be the case. Those spots tend to be a bit back, and they don't allow her to see birds fall.

She's my first dog so I'm a huge softy about her. Got her from a shelter...a border collie/german shepherd mix...and ended up making a semi-respectable retriever out of her.

Love the forum. (Kinda) new Minnesotan here. I appreciate the advice.

Joe
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers
mutthunt
hunter

Re: Dogs above water

Postby Gunnysway » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:03 am

Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby goldfish » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:01 am

Really your only choice is a dog stand. Might mean taking a couple less decoys, but for the dogs comfort/safety, worth it

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:26 am

Get a directors chair. Paint it. Work with pooch in off season sitting in it.
Attach some fast grass. Done
"If you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:29 am

Here is two.
25$
Can't beat that!
"If you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:30 am

Woodrow03
hunter

Postby mutthunt » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:51 am

I like the directors chair idea. I've got a camo quad chair thing. Even has a carrying strap. That might work. Now to see if the dog will sit in it...this could be entertaining.

Wife got it for me last Christmas...probably shouldn't tell her I'm using it for this. :biggrin:

Joe
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers
mutthunt
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:56 am

Calvin in his chair.

He hears "kennel" and he hops right up there.
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby Ducks22 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:22 pm

Chairs work great and they are fairlylightweight. Use these if we are carrying anthing in at a distance. Only issue we have run into is the bottoms falling out so to fix that problem we just use a small piece of plywood that fits in the decoy bag and place it across the arms and after little home reconstruction your good to go. Plus it gets them a little more water clearance.
Ducks22
hunter

Postby mutthunt » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:36 pm

Thanks guys! Worked great. If she looks bored it's because she is. Birds not doing what we want them to do.
Attachments
somachair2.jpg
mutthunt
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:17 am

I also utalized the chair method this past weekend.

Worked great. :thumbsup:

Serious Deuce.jpg

Thanks again Woodrow...
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:28 pm

Get some fast grass from Jstearns or Avery and some zip ties and there is no need for brushing it up in the am.

Also a few gunny sacks helps if the pup gets cold to lay on and cover up with.
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:39 pm

Image Image
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby jr#1 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:46 pm

when it gets really cold i cover my dog with a wool blanket or just let them sit on it. wool helps keep warm even when wet.
bought mine at fleet farm.
jr#1
hunter

Postby mutthunt » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:48 pm

The wool blanket is a good idea. Looks like they are on sale at fleet farm right now. Should fit in the quad chair bag well. Going to try to get out a few times this week, and weather is finally chilling down. Good timing!

Joe
mutthunt
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting