Waterfowl zones

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Waterfowl zones

Postby MNjonboatguy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am

What is everyone's experience and opinion of splitting the state into 3 zones?

I was originally all for it because it because it extends my season (everyone's really, if you're willing to drive)

BUT, I expect the central zone to be more crowded than normal during this weekend of the south zone closure, and the same goes for the south zone at the end of the season when the north and central are shut down.

The boneheads who were shooting at other hunters on the MS River near Hastings (last year) are a prime example of the crowding that these seasons produce. Wondering what everyone thinks of the zones and the impact they have on hunting pressure?
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Re: Waterfowl zones

Postby MinneKans » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:03 am

It has my vote even though I do 95% of my hunting in the north zone. Splitting the state in to zones shows to me that the DNR is making an effort to provide better waterfowling opportunities for us.
MinneKans
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:08 am

I'll take it, I like killing some weekdays to get an extra weekend for the central zone.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby goldfish » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:36 pm

I like it. I doubt that many people really travel that far south to hunt ducks late in the year, and if they are I'd imagine they are more of a die hard and less likely to be the jackwagon

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby pj » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:31 am

I'm all for it. Previously MN was the only state in the Mississippi flyway that didn't have a split. We are also the longest state north to south so it me having splits makes sense makes sense. The season lasts longer with more hunting opportunities if you are willing to travel.
For every tear a smile.
pj
hunter

Postby Ducks22 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:36 am

Love the idea of the split and it works great for us but just wish they would try and tweak it a little so the central zone lasted longer and the southern zone went into december more. Our group has quite a few fields in the area that we could shoot mallards in till mid December in the central zone and later in the southern zone. Justs just me being greedy though. If you didn't have fields it would be pretty tough the later it gets.
Ducks22
hunter

Postby walter » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:59 am

MNjonboatguy wrote:
The boneheads who were shooting at other hunters on the MS River near Hastings (last year) are a prime example of the crowding that these seasons produce. Wondering what everyone thinks of the zones and the impact they have on hunting pressure?

I went down there 2 days after that and thought it was gonna be a goat rodeo. It turned out not as bad as I thought. Don't know what all the fuss is about. What do ya expect for public hunting area?

I like the split, and wish the south zone was closed for 5 more days so that hunting is a bit longer in December.
"If you ain't first, you're last!" Ricky Bobby
walter
hunter

Postby MN Quack Smoker » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:16 pm

I have been all for it all along, however I live 10 miles or so near the 212 border and was itching to go hunting last year during the split when south was closed and central was re-opening. I was new to the area and did some scouting the day before. Had 3-4 spots that I was willing to hunt and thought I was in for a good morning. The next day I arrived pretty early despite the 40 minute drive and every landing was packed. Every lake ahd 10-20 boats in it and the sloughs 5-10. I snuck into the least crowded spot and it was pretty bad. These are decent spots but I doubt they would have that kind of pressure if it wasn't for the split
Needless to say I am gonna go fishing this weekend instead and bite my tongue everytime I see a duck or goose fly by!
MN Quack Smoker
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:53 pm

I think the split season is a good thing, here's why. In a 60 day season the guys on the Canadian border may only get 30 or 40 days to hunt before freeze up while the guys down in Rochester may have the season close before a big push of northern birds show up. I think its a win-win. Also guys willing to travel can have a longer season.
StuStiltman
hunter

Location: kinda between Fergus, DL and lawndale. draw a triangle on a map, I'm in there

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting