Mojo?

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

Mojo?

Postby MitchMN » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:00 am

I know I am a little slow but I am thinking about picking up a Mojo. How many of you guys use them? Do you believe it makes a difference? I am thinking of getting the Teal one because its wings move faster and it takes AA's.
Where are all the ducks at?
MitchMN
hunter

Re: Mojo?

Postby Ducks22 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:39 am

I wouldn't hunt ducks in a field with out one over water they are great till later in the year then you might as well leave them at home, for mallards anyway. Cabelas has teh twin pack with remotes on sale right now. Good buy if your just getting into buying one. Remotes are great. On a side note, I run all my mojos on AA batteries, just a little re-wiring is all it takes.
Ducks22
hunter

Postby chasing the GREEN » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:44 am

fields they are gold. water im personally loosing faith... I think remotes would be the way to go. for water feels like they draw them in from a distance but don't finish them well... idk though, it depends on the day, the birds ect
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:05 am

I use them on water and they work ok. Not a cure-all tho if you're in a lousy spot or everything else looks bad its not gonna be very effective. I think they really help on areas that you can't throw out large amounts of decoys to grab their attention.

I have some cheap duck commander spinner and its garbage but it works. It runs on 4 AA batteries. Some baby mojo mallards run on AA batteries as well.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby chevyobsession » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:50 am

I bought a dove mojo this summer and I'm thinking about using it for ducks this year. Ill let you guys know how it works.
chevyobsession
hunter

Postby dfrauenkron » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:30 pm

chasing the GREEN wrote:fields they are gold. water im personally loosing faith... I think remotes would be the way to go. for water feels like they draw them in from a distance but don't finish them well... idk though, it depends on the day, the birds ect

X2 I agree I run em and I can't finish birds I leave em home and birds don't even give me a look.
dfrauenkron
hunter

Postby chasing the GREEN » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:52 pm

im going to try a newer tactic. keep them right next to me, use them like a goose flag, once they turn to me, turn it off and hide the thing. use a jerk chord and talk nice to em to finish. idk if it will work but that's my new plan to try
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby Mort » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:01 pm

Over the last few years on different bodies of water we've used mojos when ever legal and have had other hunters on the slough or lake and I'm positive we've got more shooting then them other hunters. There's no way our calling or camo or decoys or placement made that much of a difference.

To me I won't leave home with out one. Unless I'm strictly hunting geese. Then leave the mojo at home.

But I do agree some groups of ducks do not finish at all with them. Even on nasty days some late mallards in groups of 6-20 will swing and swing and swing and swing leave. Bastards!!
Mort
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:46 pm

I remember last fall I hunted a large slough that had a system of small openings that mallards were landing in. Early in the morning, I had the spinner going and I think it really helped draw birds to opening I was set up in, but as the morning progressed they started piling up in other spots on the slough, and as the piles of live birds got bigger in other areas of the slough, the spinner essentially became useless.

Not sure why I typed all that but the moral of the story is spinners still can't compete with real birds.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby MitchMN » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:55 pm

Yea nothing competes with the real thing. If we worried about that though we just wouldnt even try. I bought the teal mojo this afternoon. price was right and the guys i hunt with have the mallard if we use em together itll spice things up.
Where are all the ducks at?
MitchMN
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:49 am

Fields....must have. Water....I use them on occasion. I like motion decoys but greenies get wise of spinners on the water.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby MNjonboatguy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:13 pm

I agree w most everything on this thread, especially the value in a field... I just bought a remote on ebay and I'm hoping that it renews my faith in spinners on water. It didn't get here in time for today but I'm stoked to try it next weekend. I had my floating mojo out today and ended up puttin it away after it spooked 2 groups of woodies.
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:00 pm

I think the law of letting us use remotes will greatly increase the amount of ducks killd over mojos. wife always gives me crap and her dad whos old school like days of lead old school. about don't them ducks think its funny that that duck never lands? I tell them shut up and let me hunt.
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby chrisss » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:19 pm

Used 3 mojos today in water and flared off flocks of ducks and geese left to right so I gave up on them
chrisss
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:45 am

I never use them if I am hunting geese, or at least turn them off. I can count on one hand the number of geese I have shot over a mojo that was turned on, and only
1 stayed committed.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Ducks22 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:24 am

There is a guy on ebay that is selling remotes for mojos, i bought 2 to try them out and will give a review of them when they get here. Beats the $50/remote if they work and I am hoping I can do a little reverse engineering and make some for less
Ducks22
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:47 am

Just to reiterate what has already been said...

Field hunting - A must
Early duck hunting on water - works good on small birds (teal/woodies) and is a killer on young mallards.
Late season water hunting - I leave mine home. Haven't had good luck on the water in years during late October hunts.

I have nothing else to offer...

Carry on. :thumbsup:
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby Northcoast » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:03 am

Beating a dead horse but like everyone else said absolute must in the fields run up to 5 sometimes and if we're trying to shoot geese as well we just run one or two snugged up tight to the layouts so we can cut them off...on the water I will usually always start out running one like said before helps a lot with little ducks and I think it helps a lot period at first shooting time but as the day goes on and I think for a second that's what's flaring ducks it's coming back to da boat!
Northcoast
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting