Duck Hunting Forum banner

MN Regs

1K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  goldfish 
#1 ·
Did everyone know MN requires a fully feathered head* AND* wing when transporting ducks. I emailed the DNR to explain this stupid rule and they emailed back it is a federal regulation. I believe they are wrong,we all need to let them know this regulation needs to be changed. I also asked how they expect us to clean our birds properly with a head and wing attached. They had no answer.
I think I should clarify the above in MN we are required to have BOTH a fully feather head and wing not one or the other.

#4 ·
Just looked up ND and yes you are required to:
One fully feathered wing or the fully feathered head of all waterfowl, snipe, crane and woodcock shall remain attached to such game during transportation or shipment until it reaches the hunter's legal residence or it is processed to be immediately consumed. (Exception: Geese only: Commercial game processors who comply with all state and federal tagging and record keeping requirements may remove identification from geese to be processed for consumption, prior to reaching the hunter's legal residence. The processed geese may be transported when accompanied by a copy of the record provided by the processor. Processed geese are still subject to daily and possession limit regulations.)
http://gf.nd.gov/regulations-hunting-fi ... ting-guide

#5 ·
Years ago when a fully feathered wing was all we had to have two buddies and myself had to stop for a random game check. It was opening weekend sunday at a rest stop in I-94 just West of Monticello. We had Saturdays birds breasted with two fully feathered wings attached. We bagged a few redheads that weekend and it was during the closed canvasback years(late 80's to early 90's).

At least a couple warden identified all of our breasted redheads as canvasbacks. After debating on among themselves and assuring them we were finally sent on our way with the birds. Ever since then I have been extra cautious with species a warden may misidentify.

#9 ·
I realize it is state law now. It was not in the late 80's. One fully feathered wing used to be MN state law. Not sure on exactly what year the head&wing law started but f I had to guess it would be about 10years ago. After my bad experience I prefer to gut and ice pack birds for transport.

#12 ·
I've never met a single person who keeps the head and wing attached either when freezing or during transport. The laws are confusing at times, so generally I just do my best to avoid law enforcement because I feel like no matter how law abiding I feel I'm being, they can always get me for something, no matter how small or insignificant.

#15 ·
To clean a duck and leave a head and wing is easy. lay duck on back and cut it open like your going to gut it and pull the skin back like your going to breast it out. Next take game sears(scissors) and cut the ribs on each side. Pick up the bird hook two fingers under the breast bone by you first cut and palm/grasp the breast with one hand and grab the legs/butt with the other. Now pull the breast one way and the butt and legs the other way and downwards.snap the back bone up by the shoulders and cut.You will end up with all the guts and rear half of the bird in the trash and the breast ,head and wings all attached in your other hand. Fast and easy. :beer:

#17 ·
So you have to have a wing and head attatched to transport ducks to your home, if your on a trip is it legal to cook a duck without the head and wing attached? My understanding of the law is the head and wing must remain intact until it is at you legal residence, no exceptions.

#18 ·
StuStiltman said:
So you have to have a wing and head attatched to transport ducks to your home, if your on a trip is it legal to cook a duck without the head and wing attached? My understanding of the law is the head and wing must remain intact until it is at you legal residence, no exceptions.
If you eat it, it is no more and you don't need to keep anything and you have another slot to fill in your possession.

sent from a phancy fone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.