Good story, good samaritan.

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

Good story, good samaritan.

Postby MNjonboatguy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:47 pm

Wanted to share a little story from last weekend.

Joined my buddy on Saturday morning for a hunt in his boat. His rig has a nice longtail mud motor, and the lake is one that absolutely requires a mud motor. So we get there real early and hold down a spot, and around 430 my buddy leaves me in the cattails with the equipment/decoys/dog and picks up 2 more buddies at the launch.

We have a nice hunt going for the 4 of us. Buncha BW Teal, Redheads, a Pinnie, a woodie, and 3 geese. We drop one more goose and it gets out too far for the dog, so my buddy takes the boat out about 400 yards into the middle to make the retrieve, and BANG. No Mo driveshaft. Blew a seal or bearing or something, and he is FUBAR sitting in the middle of a lake thats 1 foot of water and 5 feet of muck. He paddles back in (for 45 minutes) and catches his breath and we keep hunting. Everyone's real quiet, because we knew we were in trouble.

A little time goes by and we see one of the other boats on the lake go out to make a similar retrieve, and I walk out into the decoys and hit him with my spotlight and shout and wave my arms and got lucky. He noticed me and came over and offered to tow us in after we tell him whats going on. This guy's got the sweetest duck boat ever, with a 40 horse surface drive and he was a really nice guy.

After we get to the launch, we're BSing with them and find out that he was sitting right next to some jackwagon skybusters that totally ruined him and his dad's hunt. We also find out that the 5-6 other rigs out there were all underpowered and this guy was the only one on the lake that could've towed us through the nasty spots. He even made two trips back to the launch because we had so much gear.

The younger guy's name was Jeff, and his dad's name was Bob. I never caught a last name but I had to throw up a big thank you to this dude and his dad. A lot of guys with top notch equipment don't have top notch etiquette or attitudes, but this guy was a class act and I'm very glad he was on the lake that day.
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Re: Good story, good samaritan.

Postby beretta24 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:33 pm

MNjonboatguy wrote:Wanted to share a little story from last weekend.

Joined my buddy on Saturday morning for a hunt in his boat. His rig has a nice longtail mud motor, and the lake is one that absolutely requires a mud motor. So we get there real early and hold down a spot, and around 430 my buddy leaves me in the cattails with the equipment/decoys/dog and picks up 2 more buddies at the launch.

We have a nice hunt going for the 4 of us. Buncha BW Teal, Redheads, a Pinnie, a woodie, and 3 geese. We drop one more goose and it gets out too far for the dog, so my buddy takes the boat out about 400 yards into the middle to make the retrieve, and BANG. No Mo driveshaft. Blew a seal or bearing or something, and he is FUBAR sitting in the middle of a lake thats 1 foot of water and 5 feet of muck. He paddles back in (for 45 minutes) and catches his breath and we keep hunting. Everyone's real quiet, because we knew we were in trouble.

A little time goes by and we see one of the other boats on the lake go out to make a similar retrieve, and I walk out into the decoys and hit him with my spotlight and shout and wave my arms and got lucky. He noticed me and came over and offered to tow us in after we tell him whats going on. This guy's got the sweetest duck boat ever, with a 40 horse surface drive and he was a really nice guy.

After we get to the launch, we're BSing with them and find out that he was sitting right next to some jackwagon skybusters that totally ruined him and his dad's hunt. We also find out that the 5-6 other rigs out there were all underpowered and this guy was the only one on the lake that could've towed us through the nasty spots. He even made two trips back to the launch because we had so much gear.

The younger guy's name was Jeff, and his dad's name was Bob. I never caught a last name but I had to throw up a big thank you to this dude and his dad. A lot of guys with top notch equipment don't have top notch etiquette or attitudes, but this guy was a class act and I'm very glad he was on the lake that day.

Glad to see some sportsman looking out for each other, and glad ya made home safe. That's my biggest hesitation with those rigs. Not too many folks with the gear in MN to get you out.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Mort » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:39 pm

Wow that's some MN nice right there!
Mort
hunter

Postby goldfish » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:52 pm

Glad things worked out, and that the are still decent people out there

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby Northcoast » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:14 pm

Nice there is no worse feeling then being stranded in a boat! Sounds like a hell of a guy!! He will have some good karma coming his way
Northcoast
hunter

Postby Swamp Gas » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:31 pm

Good deal. Been saved a time or two myself. Always try to help decent folks whenever possible.
Swamp Gas
hunter

Postby pj » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:09 am

Good story. Nice to hear there are still some decent people out there.

Rule #1 on the water for me....always help others that are having boat problems.
For every tear a smile.
pj
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:55 am

Nice post :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:20 am

OGblackcloud wrote:Nice post :thumbsup:

OG, welcome back to the MN forum!