Problems with Fisherman

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

Problems with Fisherman

Postby olt d2 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:35 pm

Has anyone else been having problems with fisherman coming right on in and setting up shop right next to your spread? I have had it happen three times now. I understand I'm hunting public water and they have as much right to use the water as I do. But all three had to have seen my decoy spread and me ( when I stand up and say something) and still choose to set up shop with in forty yards of me. Have people really become this selfish?
olt d2
hunter

Re: Problems with Fisherman

Postby MinnesotaDan » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:02 pm

Happened to me once in Nebraska when I was hunting the downwind side of a wing dam on a man made lake. Some dude just waltzes down the bank onto the wing damn, starts casting a rapala, and gives us a look like "what are you gonna do about?"

That was the only time tho. Unfortunately much of the public thinks hunters are the ones who need to adjust for everyone else. Maybe sometimes we do, but a fisherman should know better.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby goldfish » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:55 pm

I've never had that problem once people realize I'm there. If they really are affecting your hunt, MN has some really good hunter harassment laws.

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby Northcoast » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:10 pm

Never a problem where they just setup on me have had em troll through here and there and to be honest that's fine with me...but if they setup on top of me that's just foolish gonna be bad fishing anyways everyone knows the fish ain't gonna be stacked up on that point with the wind blowing straight out from it! Haha
Northcoast
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:58 am

never ever seen anyone continue fishing if someone starts lobbing stones in the water nearby...just saying....
its a suggestion I give to people who observe unsporting fishing methods too.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby goldfish » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:26 am

Are those stones about #2 sized, and made of lea... er, steel?

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby Feathers » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:24 am

I would politely ask them to leave. I would think most would understand and I would be willing to bet they are there because they are ignorant and don't realize they are screwing up your hunt.

If they don't leave I would pull out my boat and start launching decoys all around their boat. When they say something or give you a shady look I would tell them now you know how I feel. Sometimes it is good for folks to get a taste of their own medicine.
Feathers
hunter

Postby MitchMN » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:32 am

I've seen plenty of fisherman but never had an issue. I figure I'm the one with the gun, it's in their best interest to keep your distance from a person shooting. But the world is full of idiots so common sense doesn't always seem present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Where are all the ducks at?
MitchMN
hunter

Postby Labs » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:34 pm

Had it happen to me on opeining morning this year....and again on Sunday after the opener....Opening day, they were casting about 35 yds outside my decoys, and had a duck come through the deeks that I couldn't shoot at....we killed one bird out to the right of where they were fishing...sent the dog, and I heard the lady say, watch out for that dog....complete BS....day 2, :yes: had a guy trolling right in front of my spread....I pulled up shop, drove my boat across the lake and cut off his trolling route and just drove my boat through the area he wanted to fish... :yes:
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:06 am

goldfish wrote:Are those stones about #2 sized, and made of lea... er, steel?

sent from a phancy fone

nope that could land you in doo doos for threatening behaviour...just regular chook egg sized ones work great.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:53 am

A couple times so I avoid those areas. Plenty or water around to be able to avoid that bs.
beretta24
State Moderator

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting