Motorized decoy regulation question

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Motorized decoy regulation question

Postby zzmoss » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:24 am

Hey guys, quick question about using a motorized decoy in a WMA. Its says in the regs. that a motorized decoy cannot be used if the water/land is completely contained within a WMA. I hunt a lake that is contained within a WMA but it has a stream that dumps water into the lake from a river and a stream that dumps water out of the lake into a river. Is the lake considered fully contained or is the lake considered being a part of the river because it is a runoff of the river? Same question with wma lakes/ponds that borders a county road or private land. Thanks
zzmoss
hunter

Re: Motorized decoy regulation question

Postby Ducks22 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:39 am

Look at a map and if it is highlighted as a WMA all the way around the lake then it is completely contained. You could use a mojo in the stream or creek outside of the WMA. As far as private land butting up to it, then it would not be completely contained. I can think of a couple WMAs that have roads right up to them, but they are contained as a WMA and no mojos are allowed according to our local CO. Specifics, I would recommend asking the local CO to get your best info, and keep you away from a ticket.
Ducks22
hunter

Re: Motorized decoy regulation question

Postby goldfish » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:29 am

I second asking your local CO. If you don't know how to get in touch with them, email the DNR from their web page giving the area you are specifically asking about and they will forward it to the proper person.

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting